SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diagnosing a dishwasher problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diagnosing a dishwasher problem Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted
We have a fairly nice Frigidaire/Electrolux dishwasher. In the last month, it's started leaving white flakes all over the dishes. I've pulled out all the spray arms and run water and blown compressed air through them. The MUCH better half has run vinegar through the machine. But still the same issue. Anyone have a good suggestion on what might be the problem? I can find the parts, and replace them myself. But I'd just be swapping parts. Just wondering if there are some knowledgeable suggestions on what I might need to do to fix this thing.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I recently cleaned mine. It had been leaving specks and a film on the glasses.
Disassembled the arms, filters, upper and lower, and cleaned out what I called the sump pump. I found a fair amount of clear plastic in the arms plus a good deal of crud. It made a world of difference.
In my case, U-tube was my friend. Someone had posted the step by step process to disassemble, clean and reassemble the dishwasher. There was a lot more involved then I expected.
Check online and you might find some odd part that's the problem.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's not the dishwasher detergent you're using?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Are you sure it's not the dishwasher detergent you're using?

Been using the same stuff for years.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you added a rinse agent like Finish Jet Dry? My old Frigidaire was bad about this when it was low or empty.
My new Bosch just does not dry as well without it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Jet Dry. I also use a tablespoon or two of Lemi-Shine. It makes a big difference.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I use Affresh a couple of times a year, works well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Aff...-W10282479/202071928

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I also use a tablespoon or two of Lemi-Shine. It makes a big difference.

You mean that stuff I use to clean my brass?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I run CLR through mine twice a year on the hottest cycle then run two rinse cycles.

The OP may have something caught way down in the sump/grinder that is slowly disintegrating, I took mine apart 2 years ago down to the sump and found various chunks of plastic and even a piece of bone down in there.

It's not real difficult to get in there to have a good look and clean it out.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
quote:
I also use a tablespoon or two of Lemi-Shine. It makes a big difference.

You mean that stuff I use to clean my brass?

Yep! Such versatility...Maybe I should eat some.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep! Such versatility...Maybe I should eat some.

It IS Vitamin C enriched...............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I recently cleaned mine. It had been leaving specks and a film on the glasses.
Disassembled the arms, filters, upper and lower, and cleaned out what I called the sump pump. I found a fair amount of clear plastic in the arms plus a good deal of crud. It made a world of difference.
In my case, U-tube was my friend. Someone had posted the step by step process to disassemble, clean and reassemble the dishwasher. There was a lot more involved then I expected.
Check online and you might find some odd part that's the problem.

I just did something similar yesterday. The top rack would still have white (soap?) in the glasses. I put a dish w/ some vinegar in it on the top rack and a cup poured into the bottom and ran it. The dish didn't even fill up(too little too late).
Disassembly down below the spray arms showed a substantial amount of crud and soap scum. I removed 95% it, a 1" metal post Eek and some bone chips and it seems to be back to normal.

I did the dish in the top rack again w/ vinegar and this time it was filled overflowing w/ no trace of vinegar.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post