SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Axe/hatchet sharpening
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axe/hatchet sharpening Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
Do you lock the blade in a vice and go at it freehand with the grinder or lock the grinder in a vice and handle the blade?

Secure whatever is being sharpened and use the grinder as it's intended to be used. Securing could be the axe handle clamped in a vice where the axe head is extended and accessible from all angles. Or clamp the handle to a saw horse or bench. Same with lawn mower blades. Or lopping shears. Or a machete...

Flap wheel on a grinder is working well! Trying to develop my technique on the cheap hatchet before I ruin something nice. Thanks!

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flap wheel on a grinder is working well! Trying to develop my technique on the cheap hatchet before I ruin something nice. Thanks!

That will always be my favorite arrangement for controlled, easy-on-the-metal grinding. I hope I haven't misled you by calling them flap wheels instead of the more technically correct flap disc. Here is what I meant:
FLAP DISC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:

That will always be my favorite arrangement for controlled, easy-on-the-metal grinding. I hope I haven't misled you by calling them flap wheels instead of the more technically correct flap disc. Here is what I meant:
FLAP DISC

That’s what I’m using, except 120 grit. I wasn’t sure which grit to buy so I erred in the finest they had available. Seemed logical.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post