SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The US House approves bill that could put an end to robocallers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The US House approves bill that could put an end to robocallers Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Cue the “It won’t make any difference” posts, but hopefully this will be the start of something, and long past time.

When I heard that they were going outlaw spoofing, that was my reaction. From the little bit in the post, confirmed in the article, this law has requirements of the phone companies, which are regulated. While a do not call list is relatively useless when folks from anywhere can bombard you and you have to find them to go after them, I’m hopeful this may do some good.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The problem is, caller I.D., like email "From:" lines, is easily-spoofed.

One of the things I administered while where I last worked were the phone switches. (A "phone switch" [more technically: "Private Branch Exchange", or "PBX"] is equipment that supplies connectivity to the phones in a business. They handle incoming, outgoing and internal call routing.) I could put whatever I wanted for I.D. into outgoing calls. There was no requirement on the part of our service providers to guarantee/validate/verify what I chose to send for outgoing call I.D. had any basis in reality. TBH, I was quite surprised when I found that to be the case.

Hopefully, that is one of the things this bill seeks to address.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post