SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The US House approves bill that could put an end to robocallers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The US House approves bill that could put an end to robocallers Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Congress is finally doing something useful. Hope this works.

“The US House of Representatives approved a new anti-robocall bill by a nearly unanimous vote.

Called the TRACED Act, this law will penalize scammers and require phone carries to block robocalls and ensure all incoming calls are from real numbers.

The bill comes after complaints came pouring in about the scams, as more than 49 billion robocalls were placed just this year – 5.6 billion occurred in November alone.

The TRACE ACT, short for Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act, was approved by a 417-3 vote and sponsored by Rep. Frank Pallone Jr, a democrat from New Jersey…”

https://mol.im/a/7760455

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Cue the “It won’t make any difference” posts, but hopefully this will be the start of something, and long past time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thank God. I am glad that something is finally being done.

quote:
Representatives Justin Amash (I-Mich.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) were the three votes against passing the bill, as reported by The Hill.

Just forward all the robocalls to these three...

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it won't make any difference Smile

remember we did this with the 'Do Not Call Registry'

so full of holes as to be worthless

but the politicians are 'Doing Something' !!

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

The bill comes after complaints came pouring in about the scams, as more than 49 billion robocalls were placed just this year – 5.6 billion occurred in November alone.

Those numbers are crazy. Jesus.

And I 100% support this. I have a blocked list on my phone that is well over a hundred numbers now. Just ridiculous.

quote:
The TRACE ACT, short for Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act, was approved by a 417-3 vote and sponsored by Rep. Frank Pallone Jr, a democrat from New Jersey…”

On a side note, I hate this prick...even if he was the one who nominated me to the Academy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And I 100% support this. I have a blocked list on my phone that is well over a hundred numbers now. Just ridiculous.

Sadly, that doesn't even help very much, because a lot of the robocallers now use caller ID spoofing - in other words, the number that shows up on your phone isn't the number they're actually calling from. They usually use a random number from your local area code so that it looks like a real call.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Sadly, that doesn't even help very much, because a lot of the robocallers now use caller ID spoofing - in other words, the number that shows up on your phone isn't the number they're actually calling from. They usually use a random number from your local area code so that it looks like a real call.

I know that. I think everyone now knows that. But the numbers still need to be blocked.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I don't know what is the answer but anything is a step up. As we all know the whole thing is out of hand and I blame some of this on the telecommunications industry.

I called Sprint two weeks ago, we were getting buried by trash calls, everything from Medicare information, extending my vehicle's warranty, the IRS. The Sprint rep blew me off, saying i needed to call another number that dealt with fraud. So I did,turns out that number was the FCC. The gentleman that answered said that I was shuffled (I knew this once I got the FCC intercept) and after he and I spoke a few minutes I filed a formal complaint against Sprint for the blow off.

Cell carriers in general have an extra charge service to deal with robocalls so if they can make money from additional services it makes financial sense to them, there's an excuse for them. And they are supposed to make money from incoming calls from what I also understand, there is their incentive not to stop robocalls.

BTW, Rep. Amash from Michigan, he "jumped ship" from the Republican Party recently and went Independent as he is against Trump, this was well publicized around Michigan even though he is not from our district.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, I tried blocking a few numbers until I realized that there were always new ones. Only occasionally do they obviously repeat, and then it’s usually with a very short delay between calls. That seems to be just one method used to try to convince people to pick up: “Oh, it must be important if they’re calling back.” I’ve even got robocalls showing my own home number.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Not going to work. The only way is for everyone to go on the offensive like I did.

Call them back around 100 times in a row. Each time they answer, scream into the phone.

I did a few months ago...2 different times (I guess two separate scams called me). I haven’t gotten a call since.

Gotta take the fight to them.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Not going to work. The only way is for everyone to go on the offensive like I did.

Call them back around 100 times in a row. Each time they answer, scream into the phone.

I did a few months ago...2 different times (I guess two separate scams called me). I haven’t gotten a call since.

How do you call back a spoofed number?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How do you call back a spoofed number?

The times they called, spoof or not, it took me right to their call center. Try it.

I’ve found that the number only works for a day though.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
A call center that was off this continent I bet.

Cue indeed. Until we make this an international law with cruise missiles as enforcement it will be dribs and drabs of reduction in the impact.

That, BTW, is a law I can get behind.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's about damn time somebody held the FCC's and the Telcos' feet to the fire on this

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Representatives Justin Amash (I-Mich.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) were the three votes against passing the bill, as reported by The Hill.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have heard as well that if you harass and berate them they will remove you from their system or flag your number to not call you.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:

I have heard as well that if you harass and berate them they will remove you from their system or flag your number to not call you.

Oh, I’m super flagged. I annoyed the fuck outta them.

Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Although I get thousands of calls from spammers just like the rest of America, I went through a couple months of hell on the other side. My number was spoofed for about a month by one of these SOBs and my phone was deluged with calls from angry callers or people responding to the call. Thankfully it has stopped but think before you call back as the receiver may be an innocent victim just like you. As to the new law I hope it will help but I have my doubts.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I hope it will work,hell yesterday they spoofed me with my own name.
I answer and always say what their mother is and they hang up

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By forcing the calls from real numbers and blocking caller ID spoofing, this problem would go away.

Then your blocking action of certain numbers would work really well.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post