SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
One of my favorite cars I ever owned was a MKIII Toyota Supra sportroof (targa). It wasn’t the fastest car but it was luxurious and with a 5 speed manual and smooth revving inline six it was fun to drive.

The MKIV was always the Supra I wanted but they went from being somewhat pricy to ludicrous expensive thanks to the stupid fast and furious movie.

After about 20 years Toyota decided to resurrect the iconic name, and in typical Toyota fashion water it down with an automatic only transmission and they made it uglier than its predecessors.

This is what they had to work with for inspiration:

This was the result of a BMW/Toyota collaboration. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It is disappointing. I also don't understand the collaboration with BMW. It's not like Toyota doesn't have the capability to produce excellent vehicles.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It is disappointing. I also don't understand the collaboration with BMW. It's not like Toyota doesn't have the capability to produce excellent vehicles.

Looks like a half-assed Z4 coupe on steroids. Appropriate since that is what it really is.

As to the reason for the collaboration: $$$

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I guess it is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the way it looks, but it also doesn't look like a Toyota to me. It looks like someone left a BMW 4 series alone in the dark with a Lexus.

I'm a fan of the old 1982 Supra. One of my fraternity brothers had one and that car was really impressive to me at the time for its looks and all the bells and whistles inside(for that time).

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its partially financial, as it shares the 2019 Z4 platform. coupe/sports car sales pale in comparison to SUV/CUV and Trucks. no one wants to invest any serious money into the mid/budget market sports car...50k is now mid to low for these animals. Toyota and BMW could certainly do their own sports coupe, but sharing parts helps their bottom line...or so they assume. Dumb people like me wonder why a flat-6 or high output turbo 4 doesnt go into the 86 platform they built with Subaru.

i fall in love with almost all serious sport wagons...unfortunately i never get them...perpetual disappointment.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The thing that sucks the most is that they could have stripped down a LC 500, thrown on turbos and a 7 speed manual and turned the automotive world on its head.

This carries on the unique/futuristic look & spirit of the Supra far better than this new “Supra” even if it has a V8....at least BMW didn’t make the engine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'll take a 90's era please. Pass on whatever that thing is with supra badge on it in the bottom pics.

ETA yeah that Lexus looks more supra-like than the new supra.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That isn't a Supra, that new car is a modified BMW 2 series with a Toyota badge.

Very disappointing.

I like that LC500 though, alot.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
The beauty in the supra was that it wasn't small, it had some heft. That and a really cool spoiler and big exhaust tips.

This spoiler sucks donkey. Its like a miata and that lexus LC thing had some meth and made a baby.

Should have jut left the old girl alone. the older version is still stunning when done right. Some guy around here has a white one and besides some crap he bolted to it, it looks marvelous.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5130 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the new styling but sometimes with time the look can grow on you. We will see. I think the BMW version of the car looks better, especially the front end.

The part that surprised me was it's auto only. I think in a 300hp car a 6 speed would have made it feel more sporty. I am sure the auto is more efficient but still it should have been an options to get a stick.

It is an inline six so maybe a turbo version with 450+hp will happen eventually.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 90s Supras were uninspired and dorky looking. The new one is at least aesthetically pleasing to the eye. A 1985 or so without the rear spoiler but with the front spoiler was the only older one I thought looked decent.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I always thought the 90s Supras were uninspired and dorky looking.
Yup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Toyota makes washing machines you can drive...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
But now with BMW power and hands-off reliability KZ1000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Mazda RX Supra 8. Kinda like an Oldsmobuick.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the initial pent up demand this will be a major fail because it’s too small and Toyota will screw up by overpricing it the same way they did the last gen.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s RX-8 ugly. I don’t see much to get excited about with this new Supra. The lack of a manual transmission is borderline infuriating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a fan of the old 1982 Supra. One of my fraternity brothers had one and that car was really impressive to me at the time for its looks and all the bells and whistles inside (for that time).

Were we fraternity brothers? Big Grin
That was a nice car... I loved it.

The new one ... NOT so much.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Been following this since it was announced last year. Saw the teaser photos with the camo covers on it....then the accidental release photos from Mexico and all I have to say is: Fuck you Toyota for ruining an icon. Should have let the series die off without resurrecting the Supra name.

Will it go? Don't know. Don't care. The thing is fugly to me, so I won't even pay attention when one goes by.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Saw that this week, very disappointing. Based on recent reviews of the Z4 I expect it to perform "ok", but that is a botched experiment in every part of design by my estimation. The Z4 is actually bearable to look at, just.

Good luck Toyota - hope you can recoup your investment in BMW with very low volumes before killing this in 2 years.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post