SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I think it looks great. But I could never fit in it lol. You might as well get used to not having a manual transmission. There will be none in another decade!!!

There are still a few manual-only cars, and hopefully those can hold out.
Focus ST/RS & Fiesta ST are out, discontinued.

Subaru STi still 6MT only. WRX now available with a CVT?!? Confused

I can't imagine Mazda offering a Miata without a manual.
Same with the pony cars.

pretty soon there will be no one to drive them!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched the review of the New Supra on Top Gear while one presenter was fawning over the car,(Note he's a supra homer) some interesting things come up.

Namely that the new Supra in 2019 has the same horsepower and torque as the 1990's Supra that everyone loved. 25 years later and no increase in power, that was an issue.

Second, once you are inside, other than the badge in the middle of the steering wheel it's a BMW, the switches, dials, seats, console, dash, radio everything is exactly BMW, third, lift the hood and other than the plastic engine cover, it's a BMW.

So if you want a hard top Z4 BMW, it's a good buy, it handles ok, it's acceleration is ok, and it's BMW made has a good BMW engine....

Or you could just buy the BMW...

Other than body shell,

Its still a BMW....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
I think it looks great. But I could never fit in it lol. You might as well get used to not having a manual transmission. There will be none in another decade!!!

There are still a few manual-only cars, and hopefully those can hold out.
Focus ST/RS & Fiesta ST are out, discontinued.

Subaru STi still 6MT only. WRX now available with a CVT?!? Confused

I can't imagine Mazda offering a Miata without a manual.
Same with the pony cars.

pretty soon there will be no one to drive them!

Only in the US.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Watched the review of the New Supra on Top Gear while one presenter was fawning over the car,(Note he's a supra homer) some interesting things come up.

Namely that the new Supra in 2019 has the same horsepower and torque as the 1990 Supra that everyone loved. Second, once you are inside, other than the badge in the middle of the steering wheel it's a BMW, the switches, dials, seats, console, dash, radio everything is exactly BMW, third, lift the hood and other than the plastic engine cover, it's a BMW.

So if you want a hard top Z4 BMW, it's a good buy, it handles ok, it's acceleration is ok, and it's BMW made has a good BMW engine....

Or you could just buy the BMW...

Other than body shell,

Its still a BMW....

The same HP and torque as a 1990 Supra, is extremely piss poor in today's world where sports cars are making 2-3x the HP and torque of what they did in 1990.

The way I see it, they stuck a Supra badge and a little different styling on a Z4, so you have a Toyota that's going to be extremely expensive to maintain and get parts for (compared to Toyota), and Toyota dealerships that don't stock parts for it and techs that don't have the special bmw tools and don't know how to work on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
there are of course more versions coming

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/...upra-tada-interview/

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than body shell,

Its still a BMW....

Just to be clear I'm not saying it's a bad car or that it won't sell, based on a de-tuned lower optioned Z4 base it's a nice looking sports vehicle.

I'm surprised Toyota didn't take something from the Lexus line from the RC-F and build a Supra, home grown, have the Toyota interior, Toyota engine and already the proven chassis...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm especially fond of the version they released with the 358 CID pushrod V8.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The new one looks way cooler than the old one.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Other than body shell,

Its still a BMW....

Just to be clear I'm not saying it's a bad car or that it won't sell, based on a de-tuned lower optioned Z4 base it's a nice looking sports vehicle.

I'm surprised Toyota didn't take something from the Lexus line from the RC-F and build a Supra, home grown, have the Toyota interior, Toyota engine and already the proven chassis...

That would have been way better. People bench racing on the internet got what they wanted but when it comes to reality Americans don’t want small cramped cars. Toyota should have learned that with the 86.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I only have three words for that thing...

Gag. A. Maggot!!!

Fuck Toyota, just like other auto makers... they produce what the shareholders think they want and totally screw over the potential owners/buyers!

I seriously have no use for anyone who plays those games!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Toyota seems to be having a problem designing their own cars. They've got the 86 (itself a terrible name) which is a Subaru, and the Yaris, a Mazda design. And the styling on some of them. Roll Eyes (I have an older thread on this in the What's Your Deal! section.) The Yaris, otherwise a decent-looking car, has a front end that looks like an angry largemouth bass.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I only have three words for that thing...

Gag. A. Maggot!!!

Fuck Toyota, just like other auto makers... they produce what the shareholders think they want and totally screw over the potential owners/buyers!

I seriously have no use for anyone who plays those games!!!

I take it you don't own a vehicle then? Confused

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Toyota seems to be having a problem designing their own cars. They've got the 86 (itself a terrible name) which is a Subaru, and the Yaris, a Mazda design. And the styling on some of them. Roll Eyes (I have an older thread on this in the What's Your Deal! section.) The Yaris, otherwise a decent-looking car, has a front end that looks like an angry largemouth bass.

IIRC, the 86 moniker is a tribute/throwback to the AE86 Corolla from the mid-late 80s. Last of the RWD Corollas.

They're getting tougher & tougher to find in decent shape.
I had plans for a while to find a liftback & put in a JDM 20v Silvertop engine. 10k RPM on ITBs....drool.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
C8 Corvette is more affordable , far quicker and looks a lot better.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

And will be sure to have more visits to the dealership for repairs!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

And a lot more fun

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Has a lot more room inside too.

I HIGHLY doubt a corvette will have more dealership visits for repairs than a BMW Z4. Hit a parking curb by pulling in too far at 2 mph in a Z4 and it cracks the radiator......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Has a lot more room inside too.

I HIGHLY doubt a corvette will have more dealership visits for repairs than a BMW Z4. Hit a parking curb by pulling in too far at 2 mph in a Z4 and it cracks the radiator......

Solution: Don’t run into shit.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow. Does seem disappointing.

I wonder if Toyota is too conservative because of their success with vehicles such as the Camry, Highlander, Rav4, Sienna, Tacoma, etc. that they don't see a reason to really take chances.

A victim of their own success. They can just build a car together with BMW or Subaru and if it fails then it's only 1/2 their fault.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s fucking insulting. People waited a damn long time for a successor to the Supra. A Z fucking 4 is not a proper successor. It’s just lazy as fuck on Toyota’s part.

This car has no competition because it is outclassed by EVERYTHING on the road including the Z4 it’s based off of.

To say I fucking hate this car and the people who ok’d such a boneheaded move would be an understatement.

I saw one in the showroom last week. They didn’t even bother to change the BMW style shift lever. Frown

So fucking lazy. Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. They proved everyone who says “Toyota cannot build exciting vehicles” to be correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post