SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The retro nameplates e.g. Supra, Bronco—-they’re not for us.
They’re for youngsters who have heard about the old legends and think they can be part of it by buying the thing with the old name that has nothing else in common with the legend.
I expect Acura will someday do the same with The Legend. Sigh.

Except the Legend is still sold in other markets. Pretty sure the RL/RLX is still badged as a Legend outside the US/NAmerica.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The car looks like it is designed for the overly style conscious. The styling team should have quit a month or two earlier IMHO. I'm wondering if the air scoops are actually functional? Not sure about the specs but if it's competitive in its class speed and handling wise then I'll look at it differently. In the mean time, I'll pass on it.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the air scoops are actually functional

Per reviews and forums, only as assaults on the eyes and senses.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Toyota has made some really, really, uninspiring cars as of late. The 4Runner is still rocking a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder and a 5 speed transmission.

Toyota seems to be in the business of uninspiring cars. Nice cars. Well-made. But nothing exciting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

There's too much BMW in it for my tastes, and agree that the Lexus sport coupe was what I thought the basis for a new Supra would be derived from.

The current Lexus sports coupe was and continues to be a gigantic flop.

Perhaps, they are selling about 2000 of the LC500's a year in the USA at $100K each. No idea what Lexus internal projections were for the cars sales as to their perception of it's sales performance..

JMO it's a megashiton better looking than that Toyo BM, BM standing for Bowel Movement they slapped the Supra badge on...

When you said sports coupe I thought you meant the RC which has been a huge bust. The LC is actually a grand tourer not a “sport” coupe.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
To many "xxC" variants... LOL

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Understand nostalgia, but as for the auto thing:

Giant Picture Snipped

Audi R8v10 Plus, 610hp, 200+mph, 0-60 in 2.3s, naturally aspirated v10. Auto - with paddle shifters though.... Just sayin'...

Top Thrill Dagster goes 0-120 in under 4 seconds - no shifters and driverless though... Just sayin'... Roll Eyes

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It is disappointing. I also don't understand the collaboration with BMW. It's not like Toyota doesn't have the capability to produce excellent vehicles.

Toyota wanted to keep up the Supra tradition of an inline six. They don’t have one and BMW makes has best. It will be built alongside the Z4 in Graz, Austria by Magna Steyr, which also manufactures the G wagon for Mercedes and has a very good reputation for build quality.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It is disappointing. I also don't understand the collaboration with BMW. It's not like Toyota doesn't have the capability to produce excellent vehicles.

Toyota wanted to keep up the Supra tradition of an inline six. They don’t have one and BMW makes has best. It will be built alongside the Z4 in Graz, Austria by Magna Steyr, which also manufactures the G wagon for Mercedes and has a very good reputation for build quality.

They ruined the last gen with pricing and with BMW’s involvement the same will happen with this one.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I, too, think it’s a big fail. Especially at $55,000 (for the launch edition).

I was pretty disappointed when I saw it the other day.

You can get into a 2019 Corvette at that price point and have a gorgeous vehicle that performs like a sports car should. I think Toyota dropped the ball in regards to styling of the new Supra but I'll have to reserve judgment until I see one in person.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Looks like it would be a pain in the ass to wax.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
just like Toyota. Discontinuing some of the best cars and then ruining them when they're brought back.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I suspect Toyoda may have more ulterior motivations in mind. I mean, who wouldn't mind having Rolls Royce (among one other really plum 'Ultimate' property) in their portfolio? Best to generate a chummy relationship now before striking so refusal is no longer an option.

Of course I could be WAY off base and instead say that Toyota just doesn't have the SKILL and EXPERTISE to make the second coming of the Supra on their very own.

Yeah, right.

I've long thought that BMW and Honda would be a good fit if it came to consolidation and merger. Perhaps the Toyoda clan thinks otherwise...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The chief dude who designed the car is a fucking idiot. He fought to keep it named “Supra” and for it to have a inline 6. The emphasis was to build a car that is “fun to drive” but not necessarily the fastest car in its class. The loser thought putting in a 8 speed auto would make it “fun”. They assumed Supra fans wouldn’t want to row through gears on their own. They were afraid a $50k car with no backseat would steal sales from the FR-S/86!? What a colossally stupid move.

I really hope the Supra fails spectacularly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The chief dude who designed the car is a fucking idiot. He fought to keep it named “Supra” and for it to have a inline 6. The emphasis was to build a car that is “fun to drive” but not necessarily the fastest car in its class. The loser thought putting in a 8 speed auto would make it “fun”. They assumed Supra fans wouldn’t want to row through gears on their own. They were afraid a $50k car with no backseat would steal sales from the FR-S/86!? What a colossally stupid move.

I really hope the Supra fails spectacularly.

They probably assumed that an 8 speed auto would make it sellable and more epa compliant (MPG guidelines) Only a small segment of the population give two fucks about manual transmissions these days. If that wasn’t the case these companies would be putting manuals in every car out there. They are in the business of making money.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Cool. Can I get one with the $300 basic oil change option?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am in the gigantic disappointment boat.

I thought this was funny

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dusty, Rougly 40% of all Toyota 86’s are sold with a manual.

This is a colossal fuck up if their intention was truly to build a “fun to drive” car. If you love your manual FR-S or 86 and want to step up to a Supra you are stuck with that shitty 8 speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

They probably assumed that an 8 speed auto would make it sellable and more epa compliant (MPG guidelines) Only a small segment of the population give two fucks about manual transmissions these days. If that wasn’t the case these companies would be putting manuals in every car out there. They are in the business of making money.

Yup. Enthusuasts want manuals (but not real manuals with unsynchronized gear boxes and all that pesky double clutching), but that is a tiny fragment of the market.

I think this means that this Supra is not aimed at the enthusiasts. I would think this means that Toyota thinks the 86 will be the enthusiast car, and there isn't room in the line-up for two such specialized models.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post