SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^ exactly how I feel. I love the Toyota Supra, it was one of the few exciting creations to come from a mostly boring, reliable, dependable company. Now it’s just an ugly as fuck car with a soulless auto, BMW engine and Toyota badge. Lame as fuck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t see much to get excited about with this new Supra. The lack of a manual transmission is borderline infuriating.

I agree with you, stickman.
I learned to drive a manual transmission when I was 15 and it's what I drove, in many different forms, until recently when there aren't too many offerings.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the car is being marketed to those of us nostalgic for the Supras, Integras, Preludes, etc of the 80s and 90s.

Lack of a manual transmission is a deal breaker and not just for old farts like me.

True story:
I bought new front tires for my Focus at Sam's Club. The originals lasted 9,523 miles.

When I pulled up, one of the 20 something tire guys asked if it was manual. I replied it only comes with a 6-speed. His eyes lit up and he smiled while he asked if he could hug me. I said we're not going to hug, but it is a lot of fun with the manual.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I never had a Supra (went from an ‘80 280Z to pickups), but man I’d sure like to have that 1980 Z back. Didn’t care for the direction they went with that one either, first the 280ZX, then the 300ZX. Sigh...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
A friend is married to Bikini Racer, who had for a bit the quickest Supra in class. He pointed me to Supra forum for what is an epic meme fest, including this sort of fun:

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I had an 89' Supra Turbo with the targa roof and manual trans. I had a lot of fun in that thing.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
its partially financial, as it shares the 2019 Z4 platform. coupe/sports car sales pale in comparison to SUV/CUV and Trucks. no one wants to invest any serious money into the mid/budget market sports car...50k is now mid to low for these animals. Toyota and BMW could certainly do their own sports coupe, but sharing parts helps their bottom line...or so they assume. Dumb people like me wonder why a flat-6 or high output turbo 4 doesnt go into the 86 platform they built with Subaru.

i fall in love with almost all serious sport wagons...unfortunately i never get them...perpetual disappointment.

+1

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This to me feels like they learned nothing from the FR-S/86’s failures, specifically the main complaint about it being terribly underpowered.

Uninspired, unexciting, dull, and exceedingly disappointing, the new Supra. It’s like they wanted to prove how boring they are as a company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I, too, think it’s a big fail. Especially at $55,000 (for the launch edition).

I was pretty disappointed when I saw it the other day.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They can't win with a reissue like this. Fans of the old car will find something to dislike about anything they make now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The front bumper / grill and air-vent openings are stolen from, er, 'inspired' by, Ferrari's Enzo.

Pretty lame move by Toyota.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
jhe888, being the first to not have a manual or a backseat is a bit offputting to entheusists of the brand. I think they shouldn’t have made it if they were going to halfass it so poorly. Toyota should be ashamed to make such a horrible vehicle and call it a Supra.

It carries on NOTHING in the Supra lineage except maybe being overpriced and overrated in stock form.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
A Supra will have to compete with Toyota’s own coupes in the Lexus lineup. That’s tough competition.

And the manual transmission is dead. Time marches on Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
For performance you need rear wheel drive. I assume this is front wheel drive?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You assumed wrong. But the assholes who made it probably considered FWD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought the 90s Supras were uninspired and dorky looking.

Yes

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like a Z4 raped a Miata and this is the result

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
jhe888, being the first to not have a manual or a backseat is a bit offputting to entheusists of the brand. I think they shouldn’t have made it if they were going to halfass it so poorly. Toyota should be ashamed to make such a horrible vehicle and call it a Supra.

It carries on NOTHING in the Supra lineage except maybe being overpriced and overrated in stock form.

You make my point. There would be some such complaint about any reinterpretation they could produce. Someone would always say that about some aspect of the car.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They can't win with a reissue like this. Fans of the old car will find something to dislike about anything they make now.

You're probably right about those of us who are fans of the old car...
However, Toyota is not alone in this reissue.
It's a trend...

Detroit auto show 2019: Why GM, Ford, Toyota are bringing dead cars back to life

The resurrection trend now includes Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Jeep and Toyota, which are all resuscitating models that were discontinued years ago.

"A lot of these nameplates are quite iconic," said Rebecca Lindland, an auto analyst at consultancy Portico Analytics. It "brings back a sense of nostalgia but with all the modern amenities."

It's Toyota's turn this week. In Detroit, the automaker will reveal the long-anticipated return of the Toyota Supra, a sports car that gained a cult following among Generation X in the 1980s and 1990s.

Next up: The Ford Bronco SUV is heading to dealerships as a 2020 model. Ford is seeking to recapture the intensely loyal following the Bronco had before the O.J. Simpson chase basically forced the company to discontinue the nameplate in the 1990s.

Cheaper than making it from scratch

Automakers typically retain trademarks for discontinued models. And they may not have to spend as much on marketing.

"They have the benefit of being recognized model names that the automakers already own," said Joe Wiesenfelder, executive editor of Cars.com. "Lo and behold they had these already paid for. So they can whip them out and use them."

They generate buzz

Just like the entertainment industry loves franchises and sequels, the built-in fan base for past vehicles makes them buzzworthy.

"It's easier sometimes to bring back an old nameplate and build on the awareness and the positive reaction," said Stephanie Brinley, auto analyst at IHS Markit.
Nostalgia sells

Quite simply, retro is in. Older drivers have fond memories of cars from days gone by. And younger consumers often view long-gone brands as authentic.

Many of these vehicles "transcend generations," said Jonathan Klinger, vice president of public relations at classic-car insurer Hagerty. "It's fun to look back at different eras."

https://www.usatoday.com/story...tro-cars/2546120002/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I actually like the looks of it, but it in no way reminds me of a Supra....rather a BMW which it basically is. How they could introduce it without a manual transmission is unthinkable.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post