SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The only thing Toyota did right when they lifted the BMW parts is not charge you for carplay. Razz

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Its a new world for auto makers and we're (myself included) dinosaurs from the last generation who actually liked and were excited about cars.

I think about this often. The overwhelming majority of people under 25 don't really seem to care about cars at all. They think the Tesla is the greatest car ever made. I'm not knocking Teslas, but they aren't for me or most enthusiasts I know. At cars and coffee no one is fawning over a model 3 I assure you.

The future is bleak for gearheads.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/...ts-car-ar183185.html

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
The only thing Toyota did right when they lifted the BMW parts is not charge you for carplay. Razz

Only for the first year or 2, IIRC. Since it's BMW architecture, it'll go to pay-to-play after a free period.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The most insulting part of what Toyota did is that they have over $50 billion in cash reserves. They could have spent the R&D dollars to make a real winner without batting an eye but instead we are left with this BMW body-kit dumpster fire.

While some may not agree with the design philosophy behind the new NSX, you have to give Honda credit for writing a blank check to create a completely new, unique, and highly engineered supercar.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It looks like Toyota took a PR beating over this turd. The Supra is on 0% financing right now. Big Grin. Last time I remember seeing interest rates that low was when the floor mat issues caused them to get sued. The Covid crap probably isn’t helping sales but last time I visited my Toyota dealership (prior to the covid outbreak) they had 1 Supra in the show room and 3 of them outside. I don’t think it’s the hit they were expecting.

Rumors are Toyota is going to bring out a better version of the Supra aimed at destroying the new Corvette. This is a rumor mind you so take it with a grain of salt but apparently a 3JZ engine is in development and it will be a V8. Not sure how I feel about that. The super smooth inline six was one of the things I loved most about my Supra. I really hope that is false. It would mean they could have just striped down a LC500 and made it more performance oriented and had a real successor to the Supra. Those LC500s look exotic as hell! A little bit of styling tweaks and it could have been awesome. The LC500’s V8 was one of the reasons Toyota didn’t use that platform. I doesn’t make sense to go the V8 route now unless it’s to attempt to save face and attempt to correct the cluster that is the new Z4 with Supra badges.

A stripped down LC500 with a V8 and manual would have been a great way to go after Mustang and Camaro sales as well as Corvette sales with higher trim and performance versions they could have released later.

What a missed opportunity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would mean they could have just striped down a LC500 and made it more performance oriented and had a real successor to the Supra. Those LC500s look exotic as hell! A little bit of styling tweaks and it could have been awesome. The LC500’s V8 was one of the reasons Toyota didn’t use that platform. I doesn’t make sense to go the V8 route now unless it’s to attempt to save face and attempt to correct the cluster that is the new Z4 with Supra badges.

A stripped down LC500 with a V8 and manual would have been a great way to go after Mustang and Camaro sales as well as Corvette sales with higher trim and performance versions they could have released later.

What a missed opportunity.

I agree, made similar comments and the Toyotaphiles were all giddy over their new BMW and the hype when it first came out.

GM screwed up what could have been a great new GTO, instead it looked like a two door Taurus (egg), fast yeah, still if they'd brought back a little of the old GTO......

There are certain marks that shouldn't be screwed with, Porsche 911, Corvette, Mustang, Challenger, Z cars, and Supras to name a few....

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They updated the 2021 model, more power. It's a solid car. Now if they made a 6MT and dropped the price to 45-47k, I think that would do it. I'd definitely be interested. But no manual no sale.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I want to like this car trust me I do but when I sat in it ABSOLUTELY NOTHING reminded me of my Supra. They can keep it. I’ll wait for the next attempt (if there even is one) this version has removed all the stuff I loved about my old Supra.

Bring back the Manual, Targa, Toyota engine and iconic styling and I’ll buy one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota Supra = ehhh. I am waiting for the new Nissan 400Z Twin Turbo. I am hoping it is similar to this. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That new Nissan Z is promising. It seems to be drawing a bit from the 240Z for stylistic inspiration which IMO is a VERY smart move. Cool

I’ve always loved the Z cars. I got to drive a 300ZX twin turbo once and it was just incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Great car to drive, but if you don't want to hear the person you are with, just roll down a window. Then you can't hear a damn thing.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LIKE the looks of that Nissan, for sure. I have owned my 300XZ twin turbo for years now and will NOT let it go until I find something that I like better. Promising for sure!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I LIKE the looks of that Nissan, for sure. I have owned my 300XZ twin turbo for years now and will NOT let it go until I find something that I like better. Promising for sure!!

I too had a 5-speed 1992 Twin Turbo from 1996 to 2002 and just recently purchased a 1996 TT 5-speed back in 2018 and plan on keeping this one. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Its a new world for auto makers and we're (myself included) dinosaurs from the last generation who actually liked and were excited about cars.

I think about this often. The overwhelming majority of people under 25 don't really seem to care about cars at all. They think the Tesla is the greatest car ever made. I'm not knocking Teslas, but they aren't for me or most enthusiasts I know. At cars and coffee no one is fawning over a model 3 I assure you.

The future is bleak for gearheads.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/...ts-car-ar183185.html

That makes me sad..I grew up loving the MR2, for it to be electric would suck.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The way Toyota handled the new Supra I fully expect the new MR-2 (if they decide to ruin it too) to be a front wheel drive plug in electric. Frown

Toyota seems hell bent on proving those who say “Toyota is incapable of building fun cars” to be correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The only thing I don't like about the Fairlady Z is that the numbering keeps increasing. Nissan should just call the next one the 240Z and then stick with that for every iteration going forward.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
When was the last time Toyota re-launched something and made it better?

Certainly not the FJ!

I was excited for that too only to have them crush my dreams.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The way Toyota handled the new Supra I fully expect the new MR-2 (if they decide to ruin it too) to be a front wheel drive plug in electric. Frown

Toyota seems hell bent on proving those who say “Toyota is incapable of building fun cars” to be correct.

There's been rumors that Toyota wants to partner with Porsche to make a MR2 Boxster. Part of it is the 2008 recession crippled the Japanese economy to the point nearly all of them are still building cars from 10 years with maybe a new bumper. The Lexus RC was a hodge podge of their RWD platforms and fell flat.

Toyota has spent the last decade living off of their name. I don't think they can make cars like these competitive enough without someone else to help with the costs. BMW wasn't going to replace the Z4 without Toyota helping with the foot the bill.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post