SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After years of waiting...BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT as Toyota releases its new “Supra” Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I saw it in person on display at the Barret-Jackson auction. It was surrounded by previous versions. It is even uglier in person than in pictures or video.

The Z4 looks better (not great, but better) and is very comfortable to sit in.

I owned two MK IIIs, I won't be buying this new one.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not the first car company roll out something that it is not with the old moniker to attract sales. VW Beetle and Dodge Charger spring to mind.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah but with the Beetle and Charger at least they tried to make it look similar to past models. There was a connection where you could see one and know what they were going for aesthetically. If it were not for the badges it would be tough to say “that’s a new Supra” just by seeing it.

As far as retro goes the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro all turned out wonderfully. The charger shouldn’t be a 4 door but I understand why they did that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
For the money - a BMW M2 or even an M240i would be a better choice unless you just loved the Supra name. It looks like a Lexus mated with a Z4, it's borderline fugly.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of when Yamaha re-introduced the V-Max.

Almost twice as expensive as the original, yet slower and heavier. And F'ugly...

Crap. Now I want an old V-Max...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serial #1 sold for charity at Barrett Jackson just now. $2,100,000

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...r-BBStXoC?li=BBnb7Kz

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...r-BBStXoC?li=BBnb7Kz

RMD
Heck of a tax write off!

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Toyota did to the new Supra is reminiscent to what Madza did with the RX7/RX8. Deleted its soul pretty much.

I have the MKIV Supra turbo and love it. It's in disrepair right now and I'm in the process of restoring it. I want to love the new Supra but the styling is just weird. I'll reserve further judgment until I can actually drive one but I'm at an age where Porsche appeals more to me. Plus, Porsche still has manual gearboxes.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha. Yeah I was watching the auction live because a client was gonna bid on a car and it was only a few lots away then they did this Supra. Client emailed me after he didn’t get the car he bid on. Of course he called at 6 on a Friday on a 3 day weekend needing some special bank letterhead letter for Barrett-Jackson verifying he could be approved to bid up to $x

it’s nice that 2.1mm goes split between the heart foundation and the veterans org. And I think Barrett-Jackson waives their commission when they sell these charity cars.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
If you want a sports car there is only one true choice...

Porsche.

The 911 variants have a back seat (albeit very small)
For a true performance car get a Cayman, preferably the GT4 if your pocket can handle it...best car under $100k.

^^^^^ Yep ^^^^^^

Jap cars are high quality, look good, but suck shit as far as racing.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
A bit late to the party on this one, but I’d say it looks like they tried to cram 10 lbs. of styling on a 5 lbs. body. It just a bit too...much.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been this angry/disappointed since Mazda RUINED the FD RX-7’s legacy by creating the awful, ugly, uninspired and incredibly forgettable RX-8.

Two icons from Japan from the 90’s ruined by mediocre successors. Maybe the 90’s was Japan’s golden age as far as cars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This article sums up exactly how I feel about this new “Supra”

Sorry Guys….. The New Supra Sucks!

So, for anybody who has happened to look at any social media or the front page of their Google feed or anything else today, probably the most seen photo (aside from some stupid egg, for which as a society, we should clearly all be better than…) has been photos of a little red thing on wheels, with an inevitably attached caption along the lines of “It’s Here and It’s Real!”, accompanied by a handful of fanboy type journalistic phrases and then about 2,000 angry comments to follow below.

For all the folks in the general vicinity of my age that I’ve been dreaming of this moment for years: I’m sorry, but new Supra looks like a generic, made up freebie toy that you find in the bottom of a store brand cereal box that nobody wanted to pay any manufacturers royalties on. Oh yeah, it’s also got 30 less horsepower than a 2018 Ford Explorer.

Does anybody else feel sort of violated here?

Between this, the bloated and uninspiring evolution of the Z car, the near Geneva Convention shredding treatment that Mitsubishi has afforded the Eclipse and whatever the hell the RX-8 was, it somewhat confirms the argument that has seemingly quietly been going on behind the scenes for a long time now: it may be time to let these cars go. It also once again confirms the argument that the 1990’s for Japanese sport compacts and consumer grade supercars almost exactly mirrors the American muscle car era.

What we’re seeing now is essentially what American manufacturers did to names like the Mustang, Chevelle, etc in the late 1970’s and early 80’s, first via a performance aspect and then directly relating to branding. The fact of the matter is, in the early 1990’s, the Japanese car market was a bit of a perfect storm. Once again, as with muscle cars, it’s beginning it to become obvious how very difficult it is to recreate accidental greatness on purpose. On the other hand, though, this one should have been a no-brainer, but yet these companies lately have been completely blowing it, seemingly almost on purpose.

I mean really. Where are the complications here? Provide a fresh, good looking body, a stout, powerful engine and performance that makes Corvette owners nervous. Doesn’t seem too revolutionary, does it? Yet here we are, with a borderline outdated, underpowered engine known for unreliability, styling that already looks exhausted (is it a Z4, a Scion BRZ or a 1995 Honda Prelude? Answer: oh probably), and a price point $15,000 North of justifiable for what I assume will be considered by the manufacturer, the privilege of owning the aforementioned (with a bunch of additional dealer markup)?

Either way, this should not have been a tough nut for Toyota to crack….. Especially considering how long it took.

I think what this signifies more than anything else is the fact that there comes a time for every generation of Automotive enthusiast, where manufacturers start to assume that you are stupid. Then, regardless of time, place or origin they all begin to make the same mistakes. They assume that nostalgia, brand loyalty and years of lust combined with distracting life scenarios like houses, kids and careers will make us simply part ways with our money blindly, no questions asked and without regard. For some individuals, this is true. That logo staring back at them when they flip on the garage lights is all the satisfaction that they need. Frankly, these people are not the ones who create legend, nor are they who keep their hearts beating. We’ve all seen those people and we all know them well. These are the fine folks that buy Sons of Anarchy jackets at Target so they can pretend they’re in biker gangs. They are also the ones who buy thousands of dollars of sports merchandise, depending on whoever happens to win the championship that year. These are the people who have 12 different Megadeth T-shirts, know who Kylie Jenner is, but have never heard of Dave Mustaine (like you didn’t know I was going to do that at some point…). They’re also the people running around the water cooler in your office this morning going on and on about the importance of some record-breaking egg (sorry! I had to!). Sure, they provide a quick score, but the fact is the majority of us are scratching our heads and laughing at those people almost all of the time. At the end of the day, these people are just blind consumers. They don’t support legacies, nor do they continue them, and manufacturers really need to stop playing to them.

I guess the moral of the story here speaks to the crucial nature of the original, real deal item and why things like old cars are so important. Cars like the Supra, Evo, 300ZX, 3000-GT, STI, Eclipse, Civic, Integra, Chevelle, ‘Cuda, Road Runner, etc represent a place in time where all points intersected in exactly the right place and everything worked the way it was supposed to and that’s something, but you simply can’t artificially recreate. As important as it is to restore, maintain and protect these cars in order to remember, recall and inspire in body, it’s also equally as important to keep the spirit of the original car intact and in place as well… and obviously manufacturers struggle to do this authentically. Clearly, there’s always going to be that midpoint in time where it becomes about cashing in and not about continuing, but that further underscores the importance a real, functioning reminders of what once was and why it was so good to begin with. With continued enthusiasm pointed in the correct direction, things like Mustang II’s can become flat crank Shelby GT350’s and front drive Dodge Daytona’s can turn into Hellcats.

The point is, this game isn’t over. It’s just the crappy halftime show.

Everybody keep keeping the faith!

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The Lexus RC500 is closer in spirit to the Supra. Sadly, its weight dampens its sporting potential, though the original Supra's were always more GT car than track cars anyways.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine said he saw a Supra for sale at a dealer in San Antonio. Sticker was 58k, said the salesman told him the markup was going to be $15,000. Wouldn't let anyone sit in it, only had the window down to let you look inside. That C8 is sounding like a bargain more and more.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Buddy of mine said he saw a Supra for sale at a dealer in San Antonio. Sticker was 58k, said the salesman told him the markup was going to be $15,000. Wouldn't let anyone sit in it, only had the window down to let you look inside. That C8 is sounding like a bargain more and more.

That is f'in hilarious. It's a Supra/Z4, not a damn Bugatti.

This thing is going to be the floppiest of all flops in the auto industry.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Buddy of mine said he saw a Supra for sale at a dealer in San Antonio. Sticker was 58k, said the salesman told him the markup was going to be $15,000. Wouldn't let anyone sit in it, only had the window down to let you look inside...

15K markup and wouldn't let anyone sit in it? Seriously? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great. But I could never fit in it lol. You might as well get used to not having a manual transmission. There will be none in another decade!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I think it looks great. But I could never fit in it lol. You might as well get used to not having a manual transmission. There will be none in another decade!!!

There are still a few manual-only cars, and hopefully those can hold out.
Focus ST/RS & Fiesta ST are out, discontinued.

Subaru STi still 6MT only. WRX now available with a CVT?!? Confused

I can't imagine Mazda offering a Miata without a manual.
Same with the pony cars.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post