SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Georgia woman strangles, kills rabid bobcat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Georgia woman strangles, kills rabid bobcat Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
It takes a lot to impress me but this did.

A Georgia grandmother claims she strangled a rabid bobcat to death after it jumped on her in an unprovoked attack.

DeDe Phillips, of Hart County, was taking a picture of a new bumper sticker that she placed on her truck when she heard the neighbor’s dog frantically begin to bark. When she looked around, she saw a bobcat just steps away. The feline then “took two steps and was on top of me. ... It came for my face,” Phillips, 46, told the Athens Banner-Herald.

“It caught me slightly on my face, but I got him before he could do much damage there. I took it straight to the ground and started inching my hands up to its throat. I knew that was the only way I was getting out of this,” she recalled.

Phillips told the publication she then began squeezing the cat’s neck, forcing herself not to scream because her 5-year-old granddaughter was inside her home. She was fearful the cat would attack the young girl if she came outside.

After the cat appeared to be lifeless, Phillips yelled for her daughter-in-law and told her to call 911.

Shortly after, her son also arrived at the scene with a gun and a knife.

“My son stabbed it four or five times, but it never budged so I knew it was completely dead,” she told Athens Banner-Herald.

Deputies with the Hart County Sheriff’s Office later arrived, as did an ambulance to take Phillips to a local hospital, though she decided to drive herself. There, she was treated for a broken finger, as well as claw and bite marks to a large part of her upper body, including her chest, arms and legs, according to the Athens Banner-Herald.

Officials told WJCL that the bobcat tested positive for rabies. Phillips has paid $10,000 for rabies vaccinations thus far.

On a fundraising page to help Phillips pay for the medical expenses, her family described her as a “lady who would give you the shirt off her back and will drop whatever she is doing to come help.”

“She loves hard and is one heck of a woman! She is also having to go to a orthopedic doctor about her hands. She currently has very little use of them and is in a lot of pain,” the post continued.

But despite her injuries, Philips told The Hartwell Sun that she’s thankful no one else was injured.

“Thank God I am not a little woman,“ she said.“Thank God it wasn’t my daughter-in-law or my granddaughter.”

http://www.foxnews.com/science...me-from-my-face.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Tough woman!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
For sure, But, 46, Grandmother, 5 yr old grand-daughter. Jesus. "She loves hard"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Damn... Do not screw with that lady.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Strangling an animal to death--particularly a relatively large one like a bobcat--is pretty hardcore.

quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
For sure, But, 46, Grandmother, 5 yr old grand-daughter. Jesus. "She loves hard"

My sister is 40 and has two grandchildren, the oldest being about five. Nothing wrong with it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its good that she is getting the post-exposure rabies series. Just a few months ago, a six year old boy did not.

Hope her hands heal well.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

quote:

My sister is 40 and has two grandchildren, the oldest being about five. Nothing wrong with it.

As long as none of them are a drain on society with is common with teenage mothers (and often leads to future teenage mothers).

Maybe your sister will be a great grandma by 50???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the will power it would take to keep your hands around it's throat while being shredded with it's four paws full of claws.

I think the price of life saving treatments like rabies treatments and snake antivenom are downright disgusting. It's not like you have a choice in the matter.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s involved in rabies treatment that it would cost $10k?

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DeDe can flat take care of business.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

You could say politics Roll Eyes

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...nsive-emergency-room

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

You could say politics Roll Eyes

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...nsive-emergency-room

quote:
The British National Formulary shows that in the UK, one vial of rabies immunoglobulin costs £600, or $813. Evans says the average male would require two vials (the drug is dosed based on weight) bringing the total price to £1,200, or $1,626 — a fraction of the costs I’ve seen on American hospital bills. The British government also covers all the costs for rabies exposure treatment, leaving patients there with no bill.

I'd be curious to know if everyone there is eligible to receive the treatment. Will someone who is very elderly get the shots with "no bill"?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Strangling an animal to death--particularly a relatively large one like a bobcat--is pretty hardcore.

I housecat can shred you up pretty good. Fighting a rabid bobcat would be pure hell.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to help out DeDe, here ya go:

link

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's a tough gal. Hoping she has no adverse issues from the rabies exposure. We need more like her.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Phillips told the publication she then began squeezing the cat’s neck, forcing herself not to scream because her 5-year-old granddaughter was inside her home. She was fearful the cat would attack the young girl if she came outside.

Hardcore......that is a woman I do not want cross

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL

The hell that have to do with anything?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, you just gotta go hands on.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Awful lot of judgement on something that really has nothing to do with the courage of this woman and enough love to act.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post