SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge V6 3.6 L engine in a Ram 1500
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge V6 3.6 L engine in a Ram 1500 Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I am looking to get a new to me used truck. My 2004 RAM is starting to nickel and dime me and it is time to get something newer.

My current truck has the V8 4.7 L engine and I have been totally happy with the power it has. I have towed my boat from Jacksonville to Canada and back twice and never once wished I had more power so getting the bigger HEMI is not really a selling point.

Looking at newer RAMs a lot of them have the V6 3.6 L engine. Does anyone have any experience with this engine in a RAM 1500? How is the power from it? My boat loaded out is just over 2K plus the trailer so I am not towing any major weight. I may haul a load of dirt or pallet of sod once in a while but that’s about it.

The V6 3.6L does not have the horsepower or torque of the V8 4.7L (nice one Capt. Obvious) but is it under powered?

I am not locked into another RAM but that is a entirely different thread.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but a truck needs torque. Spend the extra money for it and you will have a better experience and resale value. God BlessSmile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered and priced out getting a re-manufactured engine installed ? Not rebuilt but re-manufactured as most have warranties of some length. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Just my opinion but a truck needs torque. Spend the extra money for it and you will have a better experience and resale value. God BlessSmile

While I agree in principle, buying used means that I have to assign value to whats available. as an example, today I was looking at a 2014 Ram with the Eco diesel and 35 K miles and a 2018 V6 3.6L (gas) with 8K miles at about the same price point.

If the gas V6 is "good enough" I would rather have the 20018/8K over a 2014/35K even taking into account the longevity of the diesel over a gas engine.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Have you considered and priced out getting a re-manufactured engine installed ? Not rebuilt but re-manufactured as most have warranties of some length. God Bless Smile

I have not really considered it. The transmission needs to be redone as well as many other things like the front suspension, paint, driver's seat, exhaust system etc...

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned one, my 2010 has the hemi, but maybe there is a slightly late model ram 1500 diesel out there with your name on it.

My JKU has the 3.6 and it is great in that vehicle....I wonder about you getting the v6 1500 though especially after you coming from a V8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The A8 makes a huge difference if you’re past V8 only had the 5 speed. As a comparison the V6 Challenger with the A8 is faster than the last Challenger A5 with the bigger 5.7 V8.

The extra gears really help the low end which would really help in a towing situation with a heavy vehicle. The 3.6 has also been a Wards top ten winner many times.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
The A8 makes a huge difference if you’re past V8 only had the 5 speed. As a comparison the V6 Challenger with the A8 is faster than the last Challenger A5 with the bigger 5.7 V8.

The extra gears really help the low end which would really help in a towing situation with a heavy vehicle. The 3.6 has also been a Wards top ten winner many times.

Thanks for this point. My 2004 has the 4.7L V8 and the 5 speed, the 2018 I looked at today has the 8 speed trans.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
There is a huge difference in HP and torque between 2004 and 2019. That V6 should suit you just fine for your purpose and you will see much better mpg I would think.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're are a lot of options on new trucks that really aren't worth the money but I'm a firm believer in getting as much power as you can afford, it's always worth it. Test drive a dodge with the Hemi and one with the V6. You might regret not having more power but you'll never regret having too much.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Relying on a multi gear tranny to compensate for power is what virtually almost all of the makers are doing. I am not a fan. But maybe there is merit once they build the trannys more robust.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure in the Ram, but we have the 3.6L in our Jeep GC. It's adequate. If I remember right, it is rated to tow around 7K, not sure I would do that.

Not sure how much the Ram weighs compared to the JGC, but I'd be concerned it wouldn't get out of its own way. The engine is just adequate in the Jeep.

Another thing to consider is resale, my gut tells me resale on the base V6's isn't that good.

We don't tow that much with the Jeep, but the one time I towed a trailer across the states, I was pretty disappointed with the mileage.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a couple of older trucks with 6 cyl motors and wished they had more power and torque, even for daily driver use. And, as stated earlier, you’re likely going to find that resale will take a hit with a non-turbocharger 6 as opposed to any of the more capable engines.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I had the 3.6L motor with Mercedes designed WA580 5sp transmission in my 2012 AEV JK231R Wrangler Rubi 4DR on 35's. Did fine but was never "fast" nor was there an abundance of torque. I didn't tow with it but offroad, it was never at a loss for low-end grunt whether crossing 30+ inch streams, deep in the sand at Corolla, NC or in the mud.

If the 3.6L is rated for your tow weight, you should be fine. Obviously, a bigger motor is better but unless its a work truck with a trailer always behind, you're burning fuel with a V8 without using it to its potential for the few times you tow.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
No experience with that engine in a 1500 but we do have it in my wife's 2018 Durango. It works very well in that vehicle, powers it fine and gets better mixed and highway fuel mileage than her 2014 GMC Terrain 4 Cyl ever did. That said, Id be kind of hesitant to buy a 1500 with that engine and use it for towing. Hear me out.

I also happen to have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 8 Speed transmission. It also has the lower gears for towing at 3.92. I can not even imagine losing over 100 HP and Torque and that truck being able for me to use it as I use a truck. Granted, mine is 4 wheel drive so that does make a bit of a difference but not that much.

Too me, the 3.6 is a good engine but it's more of a mid size SUV at maximum engine. You are correct in stating that the V6 has less torque at 295 vs 269 but that's not the entire issue really as the 4.7 is listing as making it's peak at 3600 RPMs whereas the 3.6 is all the way up at 4175. That's a pretty significant difference and yes, I do understand the transmission differential & gearing assisting, just pointing things out for while the other areas assisting definitely benefits, it's also putting more strain on more components.

Personally, I'd step up to the 5.7 Hemi. Don't go with the 3.92 gears and get one with the 8HP70 8 speed. You'll probably be very surprised at the fuel mileage and you won't be starved for power. My 2014 which I bought brand new right at 4 years ago average 17.5 MPG mixed run time between Highway and City when it was still on the stock 33" tires and that figure was manually calculating the mileage instead of using the estimator, which the estimator always shows higher.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the V6. I don't tow much with it, but I have hauled stone in it. I have the tow package and the brakes are great, with a load(2 scoops of gravel in the bed) it feels like a normal vehicle, albeit heavy in the rear. Unloaded it doesn't feel lacking for power(gets to 80 on the highway quick enough), but its not winning any races either. I don't feel like it gets any better fuel mileage with the smaller engine, I get about 17mpg. I'd get the ecodiesel if I could find one at a good price, simply because of the torque and it would give me a reason to make biodiesel. I ended up buying my 2009 used 2 years ago for $8500 at a dealer that wanted to get it off the lot. Its been a good starter truck, but I'm ready to move on to something with 4x4 and more bells and whistles.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My Chrysler Pacifica minivan has that same motor I believe...just saying. Wink

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^BUUURRRRNN!!! jk

If you decide to look the the Chevy let me know

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The extra gearing can certainly help give one the feeling of better power, not more but better.

My Ford is rated to tow in any gear. Unladen 6th is always fine, never down shifting. With a very light load like a small ATV, it will occasionally go to 5th ( still overdrive ). Being able to tow in any gear gives you the effect of changing rear axle gears as needed ( if you think in 70's or 80's terms). So I go from 3.28, to 3.50, to 3.73 ratio rear axle gears with no downside to transmission life. Fuel usage goes up, RPM's go up, and road speed might have to go down.

Dig a little deeper to find out if this is the case for the newer Ram. Feeding a cylinder deactivating engine ( with acompanying complication, and fuel savings ) might prove to be unnecessary. Or foolish to give up a V-8...

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, Warhorse, That was just plain mean. Big Grin

I drove a 2018 Ram with the V6 3.6L engine today. It was not the used one with 8K mile on it but a new one at a different Dodge dealership. It was a really nice truck but I was not impressed with the get up and go. Being used to a V8 4.7L this was not surprising.

I think that if I did not need to tow anything the truck would be fine but while my boat is well within the towing specs and I am sure that it would tow it, I don’t think I would be happy with the performance and would be limited from moving up to a heavier boat in the future.

I agree with what many of you have posted, I think I would rather get an older truck in order to get the bigger engine.

Also, I really hate car salesman.