SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Somebody is in trouble at the FBI
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somebody is in trouble at the FBI Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
http://chicago.suntimes.com/ne...ont-want-to-do-this/

FBI agent to thief driving off in his SUV: ‘You don’t want to do this’

CHICAGO NEWS 07/05/2017, 03:44pm
by Jon Seidel
@SeidelContent | email

When an FBI agent realized a teenager had snuck behind the wheel of the SUV the agent had left running at a West Side gas station early Monday morning, he tried to let the boy know he picked the wrong car to steal.

“I’m the police! I’m the police!” the agent said. “You don’t want to do this.”

Still the boy sped off, dragging the agent about a half a block and injuring the agent’s right arm, hip and back before getting away in the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. That’s according to a prosecutor who described the theft during a Wednesday hearing in Cook County Juvenile Court.

The boy, who was already on probation, has a lengthy juvenile court record. He has previously been found guilty of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a stolen car.

Cook County Judge Marianne Jackson ordered him held in custody while he faces the new charges of vehicular hijacking, aggravated possession of a stolen motor vehicle, possession of a stolen motor vehicle and aggravated battery to a peace officer.

Chicago police announced the charges against him Tuesday night and identified him only as a 17-year-old male, because he has been charged as a juvenile.

The 32-year-old FBI agent had left the Equinox “momentarily unattended with the engine running” at 12:10 a.m. Monday at the gas station in the 300 block of South Morgan, authorities have said. That’s when the boy jumped inside and took off after the agent confronted him.

Firearms and tactical gear, including a ballistic vest, were in the car. An FBI spokesman would not say precisely how many or what type of weapons were inside, and he declined to say Wednesday whether they had been recovered. In court, a prosecutor only mentioned a radio and tactical equipment.

The SUV was discovered at 7:21 p.m. Monday in the 900 block of South Leavitt, a few blocks from the FBI’s Chicago headquarters. The boy was taken into custody about 10:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Now it is time for the FBI to allow the gas station owner to release the surveillance tapes to the public.

I did see the gas station owner say that other cars have been stolen three times in the past at his gas station. Another source indicated that the M4 and two Glocks were not in the car.

Besides lacking common sense, it seems that situational awareness was absent here as well.

It seems that certain agents should be assigned to reviewing financial documents in the confines of their offices, rather than working the street.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks for the update. Now it is time for the FBI to allow the gas station owner to release the surveillance tapes to the public.

I did see the gas station owner say that other cars have been stolen three times in the past at his gas station. Another source indicated that the M4 and two Glocks were not in the car.

Besides lacking common sense, it seems that situational awareness was absent here as well.

It seems that certain agents should be assigned to reviewing financial documents in the confines of their offices, rather than working the street.

Not gonna happen. The perp is a 17 year old 'juvenile'. Everything will be nice and sealed. Nothing to see here, move along!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not gonna happen. The perp is a 17 year old 'juvenile'. Everything will be nice and sealed. Nothing to see here, move along!

I tend to agree. If my memory serves me correctly CPD in the past has pulled the tapes from businesses in the past and they never saw the light of day if they were not favorable. Of course this is the FBI and that was some time ago before the Van Dyke case.

I hope that John Kass gets involved. Kas is a columnist for the Chicago Tribune. He took on the Daley machine, and the Chicago Outfit as well. He asked his readers to send him emails if they knew the names of people in Chicago government who had no show jobs for example.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
It is amazing how many people leave their vehicles running with windows down and everything on the seat and head inside at the local Wawa, sheetz, Marathon etc.. Not just here in Richmond, but I notice it more and more when I head to Columbus to visit with family and friends.
I have a friend who day in and day out leaves his Ford F250 diesel running with the air on in the parking lots of many of the establishments you noted in your post. Of course anyone who attempted to steal that vehicle would be met at the driver's door by 'Lugs' his 80 pound pit bull that's always with him, and for whom he leaves the air conditioning running. Although Lugs is a sweetie, he looks like death on legs. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There was a situation out in Kali about 20 or so years ago. It seems a socialite drove her Jag to a strip mall to pick something up. She left her windows down. So a thief decided to reach inside and grab her purse or whatever she'd left on the seat. He made a mistake. Her pet leopard was in the back seat. He grabbed the guys arm and wouldn't let go. The guy tried to pull away, but the big cat would just clamp down harder. Guy started yelling to no avail. Someone called the cops, but they felt it best not to get the cat upset. Soon the lady came out of where ever. She nicely talked her pet kitty into releasing the guy into the hands of the locals.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
There was a situation out in Kali about 20 or so years ago. It seems a socialite drove her Jag to a strip mall to pick something up. She left her windows down. So a thief decided to reach inside and grab her purse or whatever she'd left on the seat. He made a mistake. Her pet leopard was in the back seat. He grabbed the guys arm and wouldn't let go. The guy tried to pull away, but the big cat would just clamp down harder. Guy started yelling to no avail. Someone called the cops, but they felt it best not to get the cat upset. Soon the lady came out of where ever. She nicely talked her pet kitty into releasing the guy into the hands of the locals.

A Jag in a Jag bit a cheata?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
I was under the impression police cars and government vehicles with firearms/expensive equipment have security devices so that this doesn't happen. I once had a sports car that had a code that had to be entered every time the vehicle was put in gear or else the car would shut down after 20 seconds. Do these vehicles not have such a security feature or was it because it was already running it had already been bypassed?

You'd have to pay a company to install the device to keep the car from being able to drive.

multiply that by a hundred cars and some bean counter will nix it real quick.

We had a policy that weapons were not to be left in police vehicles overnight (even at your home)

then someone broke into a car and took a ballistic vest...and a laptop...and a radio...

then the policy was that nothing was to be left in the cars...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]You'd have to pay a company to install the device to keep the car from being able to drive.

multiply that by a hundred cars and some bean counter will nix it real quick.

We had a policy that weapons were not to be left in police vehicles overnight (even at your home)

then someone broke into a car and took a ballistic vest...and a laptop...and a radio...

then the policy was that nothing was to be left in the cars...[/quote

Thanks for posting this. As a private citizen at times I forget that police have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy. Desk jockeys who have no real world experience of how things work. The bottom line is there is no substitute for common sense.

posted Hide Post
Somewhat related:
My Department, from time to time, would have the lightbars stolen off patrol cars in our lot.
We asked for a fence but did not get it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somewhat related:
My Department, from time to time, would have the lightbars stolen off patrol cars in our lot.

Surprised some desk jockey didn't suggest taking them inside after the shift since a fence would be too expensive.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Somewhat related:

Wow, that was a ballsy perp.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post