SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GFI/light switch showing open nuetral
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GFI/light switch showing open nuetral Login/Join 
Picture of Jimg1960
posted
Both the light and the gfi plug work. Can turn on light can run a electric drill. But tester says open nuetral?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Both the light and the gfi plug work. Can turn on light can run a electric drill. But tester says open nuetral?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
1) Tester is broke
2) Your wiring isn't correct (neutral and hot switched) with respect to the other switch? - Reverse polarity.

ETA - Ah, I see the pics now. Still could be reverse polarity with the rest of the circuit. I was thinking it was a 3-way switch...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Tester is broke....dam it Mad

Thank you

posted Hide Post

Posts: 12582 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I know you said open neutral but I see no ground wire to the GFCI outlet. I understand what the person wiring that has accomplished, just not how I would have done it.

There appears to be another electrical mess in the background, too.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post