SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dell netbook question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dell netbook question Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
I recently parted with a Dell Inspirion netbook but I neglected to clear out my account. I deleted everything else, such as Favorites, but forgot that. I only used it to do web surfing and email retrieval when I was away from my PC, I never used it gain access to any banking websites, etc. The problem is that the new owner powered up the netbook but couldn't do anything else because he didn't have the password. When I gave him the password I received a warning from MS that it had been changed and I couldn't get into the email address associated with it, so I had to come up with a new password but he once again can't gain access to the netbook. My question is can I send him the new password, allow him to get on the netbook and set up a new admin account then make the previous one a guest account? If so he could contact me, tell me he was successful and at that point I could reset the password once again and he wouldn't have to concern himself with that account on the netbook. Is any of that making any sense?

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty vague but I can interpolate.
Sounds like W10 setup w/ a MS account?
You need to reset the OS and let him setup his own MS account.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sorry, didn't know how to explain it, I think resetting it to factory setting is the easiest.

I feel sorry for tech support people who get these sorts of questions a lot, I imagine.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I recently parted with a Dell Inspirion netbook but I neglected to clear out my account. I deleted everything else, such as Favorites, but forgot that. I only used it to do web surfing and email retrieval when I was away from my PC, I never used it gain access to any banking websites, etc. The problem is that the new owner powered up the netbook but couldn't do anything else because he didn't have the password. When I gave him the password I received a warning from MS that it had been changed and I couldn't get into the email address associated with it, so I had to come up with a new password but he once again can't gain access to the netbook. My question is can I send him the new password, allow him to get on the netbook and set up a new admin account then make the previous one a guest account? If so he could contact me, tell me he was successful and at that point I could reset the password once again and he wouldn't have to concern himself with that account on the netbook. Is any of that making any sense?

Yes. I am assuming you know and trust this person, that you don't have any software that the new user needs outside of the OS. Once they are able to login, as an admin, they can just change the MS account to a local account. Once that is done change your MS account password, and they can do whatever they want from that point. As Smschultz mentioned resetting the computer would be a better option.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rest to factory using F11 (if it has a factory restore partition).
Probably safer for everyone.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post