SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting take on Apple iPhone and innovation (or lack of)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting take on Apple iPhone and innovation (or lack of) Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs was Apple. He may have been an a-hole but he knew who to push his people and bring out the best.

Apple seems to have lost the ability to innovate. Apple under Jobs brought us the iPod and music that wasn't on a CD. Apple brought us a phone we didn't even know we needed. Today nearly every phone is a smartphone with a touch keyboard, internet etc. Then the iPad. Who knew we needed a table but today how many people own and use a table.

Apple may not have been the first to make some of these products but they were the first to bring them into the mainstream. First to make them just work in simple ways.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Steve Jobs was Apple. He may have been an a-hole but he knew who to push his people and bring out the best.

Apple seems to have lost the ability to innovate. Apple under Jobs brought us the iPod and music that wasn't on a CD. Apple brought us a phone we didn't even know we needed. Today nearly every phone is a smartphone with a touch keyboard, internet etc. Then the iPad. Who knew we needed a table but today how many people own and use a table.

Apple may not have been the first to make some of these products but they were the first to bring them into the mainstream. First to make them just work in simple ways.

Also, what really makes Apple, is all of their products work with each other so seamlessly, Ipads, iphones, ipods……..it's seamless.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The thing people forget about Steve Jobs is that he, himself, wasn't much of an innovator but more of a salesman. Certainly, innovations came out of Apple several times over the course of his two reigns as CEO but many of them were coming from people who worked for Jobs.

Jobs' specialization was in being able to convince people they needed Apple products.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember when people were making fun of the iPad announcement.

They were mocking how steve jobs decided to duct tape 4 iphones together.

I don't know who was responsible for all the innovations at apple. Maybe jobs was good at recognizing the acorn ideas that will grow big.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I still have a 2012 MacbookPro which I adore, works great, but my last iPhones were the 4/4s. They lost me forever as a phone manufacturer when they dropped the headphone jack, and half of their problem - such that it is - is confusing nonsense like removing the headphone jack with actual innovation. It's self delusional insanity is what it is, and a cash grab for new accessories, and every one of the fucksticks at Apple and the other companies who followed suit out to be relentlessly beaten with headphone cables until they get it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I still have a 2012 MacbookPro which I adore, works great, but my last iPhones were the 4/4s. They lost me forever as a phone manufacturer when they dropped the headphone jack, and half of their problem - such that it is - is confusing nonsense like removing the headphone jack with actual innovation. It's self delusional insanity is what it is, and a cash grab for new accessories, and every one of the fucksticks at Apple and the other companies who followed suit out to be relentlessly beaten with headphone cables until they get it.

The newer iphones come with the headphone jack adapter that plugs into the charging port, and a set of headphones. My iPhone 7 did.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd rather have a butthole in my forehead than monkey with an adapter.

Multi-industry standards like an 1/8" audio port exist for a reason, for exceptionally good reasons... The very audacity of them to screw with something like that is off-putting enough all by itself. It's a degree of "we think we're that important" that's rarely seen, and for good reason. It's crazy that they even tried, and almost as crazy as them getting away with it. It's when they jumped the shark for good, as far as I'm concerned.

Same as removing the USB ports from some devices, way prematurely too.

I love design as a concept, I love good design, innovation too, but these are examples of way too much form over function, way too much arrogance, and I won't have it/support it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have nothing to add, but this made me lmao.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The iPhone is meh, but it's iOS that people (such as myself) really like. I couldn't get over the clunkiness (in my opinion) of Android when I tried a Google Pixel 2 earlier this year.

If Apple were to open OSX up to all hardware but only allow App store and updates with a valid key/login, and bring he cost/prices down on their phones, it'd go a long way to expanding their market.

I wen't from a Pixel2 to an iPhone SE because I was so sick of dealing with Android. It's weird, because I know the hardware was so much faster and more open. It was the user experience I didn't care for.

If that makes sense.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Multi-industry standards like an 1/8" audio port exist for a reason, for exceptionally good reasons... The very audacity of them to screw with something like that is off-putting enough all by itself. It's a degree of "we think we're that important" that's rarely seen, and for good reason. It's crazy that they even tried, and almost as crazy as them getting away with it. It's when they jumped the shark for good, as far as I'm concerned.

I love design as a concept, I love good design, innovation too, but these are examples of way too much form over function, way too much arrogance, and I won't have it/support it.

I couldn't agree more. It's one of the main reasons why I went with the Samsung S9 when I recently upgraded my phone. Absolutely ridiculous all these new phones coming out without the headphone jack. God bless Samsung for keeping it on their flagship phone.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
The iPhone is meh, but it's iOS that people (such as myself) really like. I couldn't get over the clunkiness (in my opinion) of Android when I tried a Google Pixel 2 earlier this year.

If Apple were to open OSX up to all hardware but only allow App store and updates with a valid key/login, and bring he cost/prices down on their phones, it'd go a long way to expanding their market.

I wen't from a Pixel2 to an iPhone SE because I was so sick of dealing with Android. It's weird, because I know the hardware was so much faster and more open. It was the user experience I didn't care for.

If that makes sense.

THIS, I cracked the screen on my iPhone 7 about 7 weeks ago and paid $100 to have it replaced. Then about 5 weeks later I dropped it in water for 5 seconds and immediately dried it off......it had water under the screen......I ordered a Mil Spec Kyocera dura force pro (drop proof, waterproof to 2 meters for 30 minutes, etc. etc.). I kept it 4 days before I sent it back to Verizon. The thing kept alerting all night long for everything. The android system was clunky and hard to navigate through, by day 3 I started getting pop ups everytime I opened the browser.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I don't know who was responsible for all the innovations at apple. Maybe jobs was good at recognizing the acorn ideas that will grow big.

Without question, Jobs was the innovator, the ideas man. He wasn't an engineer or a trained designer, but he knew what he wanted and hired the people to make his ideas possible, most notably Jonathan Ives. Jobs would scream at his people that he wants it less than an inch thick, no corners, all white, etc. and they would have to figure it out. I haven't bought anything from Apple in a while, and I was a loyal customer since the early 90s.

Gave up the iPhone years ago to switch to Samsung, and I haven't looked back.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Multi-industry standards like an 1/8" audio port exist for a reason, for exceptionally good reasons... The very audacity of them to screw with something like that ...

Yes! Damn their eyes for eliminating a redundancy and another point for water ingress! What hubris!

quote:

They waited and waited and waited and waited and waited for "the industry" to settle on a USB C spec. Finally got tired of waiting.

I imagine they'll eventually move over to USB C, but then I'm sure people will bitch about them transitioning away from Lightning. Besides: USB C has not been w/o its growing pains.

quote:

I feel the same way about Jeep. Only after I bought it did I realize it has no CD player! How dare they?!?! Next time I'm buying something else!

Oh, wait... it seems pretty much everybody's dropped in-dash CD players. Just like cassette players, before them. And 8-track players, before them.

Apple's far from perfect, and no mistake. (My issues posted earlier, so I won't rehash them.) But I regard them as preferable to the alternative--especially every time I see Yet Another Android Critical Vulnerabilty Alert cross my tech newsfeeds.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Re: “They waited and waited and waited and waited and waited for "the industry" to settle on a USB C spec. Finally got tired of waiting.

I imagine they'll eventually move over to USB C, but then I'm sure people will bitch about them transitioning away from Lightning. Besides: USB C has not been w/o its growing pains.”

Apple’s goal is to eliminate all physical ports and switches. Wireless charging, Bluetooth, NFC, and WiFi for connectivity.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I just remembered why I always use Windows and Android.

Does Apple annoy me? Oh yaz, they most certainly do. But essentially all tech annoys me. Apple I trust--mostly. Android & Microsoft? Yeah... not so much. Not at all, really.

And that's why I avoid MS-Windows and Android.

But to each their own *shrug*

To each his own - true. However the US military have approved Samsung Galaxy S and Note series for use with classified data (including the new S9 and Note 8, though Note 9 probably hasn't been certified yet).

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Multi-industry standards like an 1/8" audio port exist for a reason, for exceptionally good reasons... The very audacity of them to screw with something like that ...

Yes! Damn their eyes for eliminating a redundancy and another point for water ingress! What hubris!

Yeah right. Redundancy you say. Please. Guess what I was able to do while camping in the andirondacks with my Samsung that those with an iPhone or my sister with a Pixel (no headphone jack) weren't able to do because there was zero cell service. I could listen to regular old radio with the S9's built in FM tuner. I'm sure you'll just poo hoo that and dismiss it as archaic, but I tell you, it was actually a comfort to know that I could get outside news and simple music without the Internet. Not to mention it could play all day and barely run down the battery.

And water ingress? Another fallacy. Somehow the Samsung manages to maintain water resistance with a headphone jack and does it better than the iPhone X to boot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
If you want to talk features, Facial Recognition is a SUPER feature that’s unique to the iPhone X. Works w/ or w/o glasses; w/ or w/o hat; in total darkness.

Besides automatically locking/unlocking the phone, it enables ApplePay; gets me into my bank account app; gets me into the wonderful MyChart medical app; much more.

All high end phones will have some version of Facial Recognition within two years. Apple has the deluxe version right now.

I LOVE Facial Recognition!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, the S9 has the same thing. It also has an iris scanner. Both features by the way which I'll never use. I ain't registering my face or my eyes with anyone or anything voluntarily if I can help it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^Well, the S9 has the same thing. It also has an iris scanner. Both features by the way which I'll never use. I ain't registering my face or my eyes with anyone or anything voluntarily if I can help it.
Yep, that would be the first thing I turned off on my new phone. Fingerprint scanners are insanely fast and better security in my book.

And its always interesting to me to see people fawn over wireless charging, given how slow it is. I'll opt for high speed charging (DASH in my case) that charges a dead phone to 60% in 15-20 minutes over wireless every day of the week and twice on Sunday. DASH charging on my OnePlus is so fast I no longer worry about charging my phone overnight or running out of juice during the day given a top up is just 15 minutes.

And count me as a fan of the old headphone jack. I have no interest in having to keep up with a dongle to use my wired earbuds/headphones.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Ha I got you beat.. I was using face unlock on my Galaxy Nexus back in 2011. Of course it wasn't nearly as advance as Apple or Samsung now but it did work and I used it to avoid drawing pattern all the times.

Of course with fingerprint these days, I no longer use any face or iris unlocking.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post