SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the Push for 4G & 5G Sacrificing the Coverage Capability of 3G?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Push for 4G & 5G Sacrificing the Coverage Capability of 3G? Login/Join 
posted
My ignorance of telecommunications may be showing, but-

This may be coincidental, but we went from 3G to 4G/5G phones (although different carriers), and had to upgrade the radio module in our security system control panel from 3G to 4G within the last week or so. The phones have a much weaker signal, and the radio module in the security system indicated something like "Insufficient GSM Signal" and is not functioning at this point.

I read that 4G does not penetrate structures as well as 3G.

Is this a coincidence, or are the carriers compromising phone coverage for greater data capability?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NOCkid,

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard Verizon is already in the process of shutting down their 3G antennas/service.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All providers are in the process of shutting down 3G. I responded in another posting about it.

4G and 5G are more frequency-efficient. 3G takes too much bandwidth that cannot be shared with the later technologies. Some of the technologies will result in more towers with smaller cells to make it work.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the 5G rollout, I've noticed that my 4G phone quality is noticeably not as good as it was prior to that, here in a heavily populated city (Fort Lauderdale) and with the Same Iphone XS and Verizon service I've had for 2.5 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew 3G was being phased out but wasn't aware that 4G/5G would be seemingly less effective for voice calling, at least currently. With all the carriers boasting of their download speeds they fail to mention that your phone may not actually function as well for voice calls.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Kids today don't actually use voice. Texting only, in fact, many of them are fully afraid to make or take actual calls.

Your voice isn't actually sent over the broadband. It is converted to a digital set of numbers via CODEC. This data is then sent and converted back to a sounds wave on the other end.

In the old days over copper wire, the sound was converted via the microphone into an electrical wave, then converted back by a microphone. This is not how modern phones/data transmission works.

You can read more about it here and I'm sure there are other sites out there with even more/better information.

http://what-when-how.com/data-...0telephone%20company's%20network.&text=This%20switch%20contains%20a%20codec,phone%20into%20a%20digital%20signal

[URL=http://what-when-how.com/data-communications-and-networking/digital-transmission-of-analog-data-data-communications-and-networking/#:~:text=When%20you%20make%20a%20telephone,to%20the%20telephone%20company's%20network.&text=This%20switch%20contains%20a%20codec,phone%20into%20a%20digital%20signal.]Digital Transmission[/URL]

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
My ignorance of telecommunications may be showing, but-

This may be coincidental, but we went from 3G to 4G/5G phones (although different carriers), and had to upgrade the radio module in our security system control panel from 3G to 4G within the last week or so. The phones have a much weaker signal, and the radio module in the security system indicated something like "Insufficient GSM Signal" and is not functioning at this point.

I read that 4G does not penetrate structures as well as 3G.

Is this a coincidence, or are the carriers compromising phone coverage for greater data capability?

How old were your old phones as 4G has been around for 8 years? If your old phones were newer, then chances are you were using 4G. There’s nothing coincidental about a change in the service you are experiencing when you switched phones and carriers.

As far as the alarm panel goes, GSM has been around since 1987. I’m going to guess the old radio module was a Verizon CDMA one and you were forced to make a switch because Verizon is shutting down their CDMA equipment. This is also not a 3G vs 4G issue, but rather whatever network your new radio module is tied to doesn’t provide good enough service in your area. I had the same issue with the alarm in or house in Michigan. I called the alarm company, they sent me a Verizon module, and I sent them back the AT&T module.

A lot of people think of 3G, 4G, or 5G as some sort of specific communications standard when they are more like loose specifications than specific protocols. For example, they call for a range of data speeds, but it’s up to the carriers to use whatever methods and equipment needed to get there.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Verizon has phased out most of it 3G operation already & ATT will completely phase out 3G in the fall of next year.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old phones were 12 year old Razrs, so probably not 4G, but they would get a 5 bar signal consistently at the house. The new phones are Verizon and get 1-3 bars. The odd thing is that Verizon has better coverage in our general area.

I think the old alarm panel radio was Verizon, but am not sure, the new one definitely is. The Frontpoint rep thinks that is just a bad unit, and is sending a replacement. He says that we should have sufficient coverage according to his map but I'm starting to have little faith in coverage maps.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
The old phones were 12 year old Razrs, so probably not 4G, but they would get a 5 bar signal consistently at the house. The new phones are Verizon and get 1-3 bars. The odd thing is that Verizon has better coverage in our general area.

I think the old alarm panel radio was Verizon, but am not sure, the new one definitely is. The Frontpoint rep thinks that is just a bad unit, and is sending a replacement. He says that we should have sufficient coverage according to his map but I'm starting to have little faith in coverage maps.

It could be that the 2 phones in question display signal differently. 'Bars' are not a very accurate comparison. Although it is very likely that the old Razrs were CDMA, which was known for it ability to work indoors.

Try to find a worst-case location (interior closet, basement) and see if phones work - if they do, forget about it. If not, contact Verizon, they want it to work & will try to come up with a solution.

The alarm panel is a different animal & could be a lot of things.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My house is in some kind of node where the signals from Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all have iffy reception and drop calls. I use Verizon because it was the only viable option where I work (AT&T was so bad you couldn't get anything to work inside my office) and my company issued phone is also Verizon. I had a Verizon CDMA card in my alarm system, and it was upgraded to LTE about a year ago. But then I upgraded to a different panel due to Z-Wave+ compatibility issues and it came with an AT&T LTE card.

I HATE AT&T in all things and every possible way and do not willingly give them any business. Their constant door to door pitches, mail disguised as something actually important, and other ads for U-VERSE pretty much sealed the deal. Then there's their false labeling of 3G+ as 4G, and now LTE as 5G. I had a female friend insist she had 5G on a iPhone that is not capable of 5G and sure enough, AT&T had "5G" in upper corner.

As for LTE in general, they had to build the infrastructure to handle it so there may not be as many towers as there were on the older CDMA/GSM networks. 8 years ago it was really spotty, especially in smaller towns, but it's a lot better now. AT&T still sucks in my office in the basement of a factory though.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that "G" stuff--I have a Jitterbug flip phone. Its signal is crappy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post