SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unexpected Bonus: TSA Pre
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected Bonus: TSA Pre Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
My wife and I just went through TSA at the airport, on our way out of the country. The time aside, thus the airport not being busy, we unexpectedly found we had TSA Pre. Dunno why. We didn't apply for it or go through the process. I wonder if it was because of the NEXUS cards we used to have?

Tell ya what: It was nice. Breezed through TSA in about two-three minutes. Backpack full of electronics and every other thing under the sun. Never a second look. All the TSA agents were polite and friendly, too. One even referred to me as "young man" Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Airlines can still grant customers Pre for a flight.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Precheck is part of your nexus or global entry, I believe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was random, not sure why. I'm also sure the people who paid for Pre Check appreciated your breezing thru instead of slowing them down by taking off your shoes, etc.

For $100 you can get five years of Global Entry (fast lane coming back in) PLUS Pre-Check!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Precheck is part of your nexus or global entry, I believe.
Yes, it is if the NEXUS Card is still valid.

Nexus is the best deal going too as it's $50 and you get Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, and Fast Entry into Canada. Global Entry is $100 and you get TSA PreCheck. TSA PreCheck and that's all you get.

Only catch is that the in person appointment is only done at border locations plus near SeaTAc and a few airports in Canada (e.g. Calgary).

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I'm sure it was random, not sure why. I'm also sure the people who paid for Pre Check appreciated your breezing thru instead of slowing them down by taking off their shoes, etc.

For $100 you can get five years of Global Entry (fast lane coming back in) PLUS Pre-Check!
OP, lives in a state bordering Canada. He can get NEXUS for $50 which will give him fast entry into Canada, Global Entry, and TSA PreCheck.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
NEXUS automatically gets you TSA Precheck.

NEXUS is the best option if you live close to a border as it's the only way to get it.

Global Entry is more expensive and gets you less but you can get it at most large airports. It also gives you TSA Precheck.

edited looks like tatotodd posted as I was typing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Our NEXUS cards expired three or four years ago. Whatever the reason: It was a pleasant surprise.

As for holding anybody up: There was nobody to hold up. There had been nobody in front of us. One or two people finally showed up behind us as we were picking our stuff off the roller conveyor.

Oh yeah: And DTW's free WiFi doesn't block SF Smile

ETA: We've been meaning to get the NEXUS cards renewed. Just never got around to it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

OP, lives in a state bordering Canada. He can get NEXUS for $50 which will give him fast entry into Canada, Global Entry, and TSA PreCheck.

I did not know that, I assumed it was $100 for everyone. However, the trusted traveler number must be on your boarding pass, you need to add it to your airline profile.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't understand the random part. I thought the whole point was to give expedited/relaxed screening to people who are known to be less of a threat via background check or whatever the qualifications are.

I have it via the military, just enter my DOD ID number when making a reservation. It is nice!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I never signed up for it but, seem to get it all the time. I don't complain!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Could be your age. My wife and I use to have the same thing happen.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Yeah, I don't understand the random part. I thought the whole point was to give expedited/relaxed screening to people who are known to be less of a threat via background check or whatever the qualifications are.

I have it via the military, just enter my DOD ID number when making a reservation. It is nice!
Marketing - give people a taste of the 5 minute lines so they'll fork out $85 for PreCheck. That's how they got me. Alaska Airlines was giving out free PreCheck like candy to high tier frequent flyers. Then, they started cutting back the free PreChecks and I missed the shorts lines. TSA PreCheck was the only program at the time in Anchorage (had to travel to Seattle for Global Entry) so I forked out the $85.

Then, my employer moved me to Can-eh-duh and the long customs lines in the US and Canada sucked. Even though PreCheck had not expired, I forked out $50 for NEXUS because I was traveling at least twice a month between US and Canada.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Nexus is the best deal going too as it's $50 and you get Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, and Fast Entry into Canada. Global Entry is $100 and you get TSA PreCheck. TSA PreCheck and that's all you get.

Only catch is that the in person appointment is only done at border locations plus near SeaTAc and a few airports in Canada (e.g. Calgary).

Kind of. Nexus buys you Canada, not the rest of the world. It's like Global Entry...restricted to Canada.

I did it when it came out. Showed up at a border place behind a ton of concertina wire, for an interview, and was asked why I wanted to go to Canada. I said I didn't. Why did you apply for Nexus? Because I'm constantly on the go internationally. Oh...you should have applied for global entry. Too bad.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I get it as a work perk. Cool

I like it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it helps when they have your entire personal/ permanent file on the monitor, since 1989 Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Kind of. Nexus buys you Canada, not the rest of the world. It's like Global Entry...restricted to Canada.

I did it when it came out. Showed up at a border place behind a ton of concertina wire, for an interview, and was asked why I wanted to go to Canada. I said I didn't. Why did you apply for Nexus? Because I'm constantly on the go internationally. Oh...you should have applied for global entry. Too bad.
There is no kind of about it. I have NEXUS and described it perfectly accurate.

NEXUS gives you Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, and fast entry into Canada. If you don't believe me you can read the website.

posted Hide Post
The last three trips on United my wife and I had pre check. All we did was to buy economy plus tickets.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Customs and Border Protection has sped up the process for Global Entry: sign-up and enter all the info up to the appointment part before you depart on your trip, upon returning stop-off at the CBP office after grabbing your luggage and get the interview over with.
Enrollment on Arrival

Looks like they've increased the number of Enrollment on Arrival locations

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

NEXUS gives you Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, and fast entry into Canada. If you don't believe me you can read the website.

Nexus allows you use of global entry kiosks when coming from Canada, not from other locations. It's specific to flights to and from Canada.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/tru...veler-programs/nexus

quote:
NEXUS
The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.