SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you didn't require sleep, would you still want to sleep?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you didn't require sleep, would you still want to sleep? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Consciousness sucks most of the time.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
...and now a message from Winston Churchill:

"You must sleep sometime between lunch and dinner, and no half-way measures.
Take off your clothes and get into bed. That's what I always do.

Don't think you will be doing less work because you sleep during the day. That's a foolish notion held by people who have no imagination. You will be able to accomplish more.

You get two days in one-well at least one and a half, I'm sure." Winston Churchill, 1946.
====================================

I interpret his writing as a reference to the powerful mental renewal and subconscious problem solving qualities of sleep.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think so, personally. If your body didnt require it (so as not to look like a meth head in 90 days of no sleep), then it would be like not being hungry or thirsty. I only like water when I am thirsty.

I think of all the things I could get done during those hours when everyone is sleeping. Research, document preparation, reading books that I never get to. Damn, think of it, never needing sleep, never getting tired, and your body not needing it to heal and recharge. "How did you sleep honey, while I read War and Peace?" 6 to 8 additional hours a day of extreme focus, plus, not being tired the rest of the 16 hours. Awesome!

I'd still drink coffee!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nope. If I had an additional 7-8 hours a day, I could pick up a second career. Get the house paid off much sooner and stockpile some cash.
Then go back to one job, and a lot more time spent going off road.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Ah, sleep, I never pass up the opportunity.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd love more awake hours in a day but like the separation of days. I remember in my Navy days on the sub, the days running together. After a week or so underway I didn't know if it was AM or PM half the time let alone what day it was. It was a pretty weird, disconcerting feeling for me and I felt kinda robotic after a while.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that X-Files episode Sleepless where special ops soldiers were surgically removed the need for sleep so they could perform more missions. At first it was great, but then...well, not so much. After 24 years of not sleeping, life gets a little...unbearable.

Yeah, I think I'd still appreciate a nice night of sleep now and then.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me of the question: If you could have no orgasms the rest of you life, or one continuous, which would you choose?

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, sometimes nice to let the brain play with itself, sort things out!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No of course not.

Just think of how many rooms in your house could be repurposed?
Gun Room, Man Cave, Man Cave II.....

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Kind of reminds me of the question: If you could have no orgasms the rest of you life, or one continuous, which would you choose?

That sounds pretty annoying. I don’t think anyone wants that.

There’s actually a disorder that causes constant orgasms...it’s kinda debilitating.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
As an extreme insomniac ... Emphatic NO

Chasing sleep sucks. Being tired sucks. Being free from that, it's true, imagine what you could.accomplish. I decided to put my insomnia to use and am almost done getting a degree I have been working on.

As someone who has spent many nights up all night into the next day, it's not a problem to separate them or feel a sense of a new day.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
About 2 weeks ago, we bought a new Casper mattress at Costco. I can't remember sleeping soooooo good. Yes, I want to sleep and finally, I don't wake up to insomnia at 2:30 and lay there for 2-3 hours. Last night I slept from 11:00 to 6:30 this morning without a break - until the wife's alarm went off.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yes. I enjoy sleep.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough question. If humans did not require sleep it would be different. You could go to the gun range at 3am, drop your car off for an oil change at 1am.

How every it would be nice to be able to pick up a second job and make some money while the family slept.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently I like to sleep, I'm 70 years old and have (on average) been asleep for approximately 23 years. 23 years!!, why that's 1/3 of my life, ha.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What? No one has quipped "You snooze, you loose!" ? LOL

All kidding aside I enjoy sleep be it in short naps or through the wee hours (despite a decades long insomnia affliction). And as some have earlier said in this thread, it seems as we get older it is appreciated more. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I would. I like sleep. Certainly naps, at least.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the light/dark cycle of day and night would be enough to break the never ending feeling of one long stretch of time. Seeing the sunrise would bring a new sense of the possibilities for the coming day. I would probably sleep just to add variety to that time cycle. I think the benefit to living like that would be getting so much done. I remember seeing a 60 minutes piece back in the 90s on President Trump, he said he slept very little, maybe 3 hours a night. It fascinated me on what he was able to accomplish. I’ve always been a big sleeper, I could easily do 9 to 10 hours if it was possible. I’ve chalked it up to why I haven’t gone anywhere in life, LOL.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post