SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Victoria Canada - vacation recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victoria Canada - vacation recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Hi, prior plans for vacation are likely being affected by the Carr Fire.

Considering Victoria as an alternative. Hike/kayak the Pacific Rim National Park area.

Basically looking for moderate hiking (up to 10 miles is okay but not too strenuous or difficult). And/or easy trail/mtn biking. And/or kayaking (small waves okay but not strong currents).

Looks like I can go by ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria (2-3 hours). Vancouver to Victoria is 6-7 hours.

1) Is Victoria / Pac Rim Park a good destination for easy hiking / biking / kayaking? Is Vancouver area better? If neither are really that great, I'll pick another region for vacation.

2) If it's good, what's best: rent a car in WA (airport) and then go to Victoria? Use public transportation in WA, get to Victoria then rent a car? Or no need to rent a car at all - public transportation is convenient/?

Any specific recommendations for hiking / biking trailheads? Or kayaking rentals and routes?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Victoria is very nice and plenty to see in town. If you are looking for something away from a city, I love Quadra Island.

http://www.quadraisland.ca/abo...qs.html#.W23em5BOmf0

http://www.quadraisland.ca/adv...ex.html#.W23c8pBOmf0

I would rent a car at SeaTac and make the loop. Take the ferry from Anacortes, WA or Tsawwassen, BC over to the island and then drive up to Quadra. To return I would head down to Victoria and ferry over to Port Angeles on the Olympic peninsula then down and around back to SeaTac. Tons of stuff to do and see along the way.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you want to go straight from Seattle to Victoria, ride the light rail from SeaTac to downtown Seattle and get on the Victoria Clipper. That is the fastest route to Victoria.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the tips! I'll check it out.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
If you want to go straight from Seattle to Victoria, ride the light rail from SeaTac to downtown Seattle and get on the Victoria Clipper. That is the fastest route to Victoria.

And then rent a car in Victoria? Thanks - I'll note this. But I'm liking the idea of Quadra - place away from a city.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

And then rent a car in Victoria? Thanks - I'll note this. But I'm liking the idea of Quadra - place away from a city.

It's a really cool little community. There is a farmer's market on weekends in the village there. Last time we were there we rented a house with a dock and our fishing guide would pick us up right from the house. It would have been easy access, and great water, to kayak right out our back door.

As for renting a car in Victoria, I am not sure. I have always driven/ferried over with my own vehicle.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In terms of vehicle - should I fly and rent? I could drive my truck up there if a truck would be good to have.

I could stop by Crater Lake on the way up and Redwoods NFS on the way back....

And it may be a little cheaper to drive vs flying and renting a car for a week..... But it does consume two days of vacation for driving (I would just extend my vacation time by a few days).....

But if there isn't anyplace interesting to go that requires a truck, then maybe flying is best.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay - in that case, maybe we'll consider just driving. Can bring our own kayaks too (might be cheaper and more convenient).

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Crater Lake and the Redwoods are pretty cool, especially if you've not seen them.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Haven’t seen yet. Want to go. But I heard the fire is affecting those areas. Smoke and dust and stuff.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In Victoria, you absolutely MUST visit the Butchart Gardens! https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157603512311778/.

I was in northern California a couple of weeks ago and Yosemite was very smoky--the redwood forests were OK at that time.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I couldn't see any ground from the sky in N CA this week. All smoke / clouds.

I think the fire is supposed to last for the next 4 weeks. I think Yosemite area has its own fire as well?

Butchart Gardens added to list. Thx.