SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insurance Companies And Harvey/Irma
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance Companies And Harvey/Irma Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I think Rhino is an equal opportunity retort-er! He's a smart ass to most everyone, not just you! Razz

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
A slight drift that I have been wondering in situations like this.
Some businesses are certainly shuttered and will be for a period of time. Do employers prepare for this and still pay their employees, do they have insurance coverage to cover employees wages? Or are the employees just screwed?
Or a mix of all three?

Some might have business interruption insurance. Some don't. That isn't to cover wages, but lost profits. Some businesses may pay employees for a time, but many won't and can't. No income, no wages. They certainly can't and shouldn't be required to pay employees that aren't working.

As an example, the West side of Denver had a MASSIVE hail storm this past Spring. I know someone who is a GM for a small Italian eatery. Owner lives in FL. Anyway, the restaurant suffered severe damage from the hail storm. They were going to be closed for ~8 weeks or so to cleanup & remodel. The owner chose to pay some of the employees a % of their salary so they wouldn't leave and he'd be left starting completely over with brand new employees. This was not covered by insurance, but out of his own pocket.

Also, he tried to open part time, just the delivery & take out portion of his business. He did have business interruption insurance jhe speaks of. He jumped through a lot of hoops with the food reg folks in the city, but ultimately he wasn't able to do it. The reason...the insurance wouldn't pay him if he was partially open! If he stayed closed, insurance paid him some amount. If he did ANY business the insurance paid him zero! Kind of messed up on the surface, but it makes sense if you think about it. He would be "double dipping" if he collected the insurance money and made money from the take out/delivery portion.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Flood damages are all federally insured so that won't affect anyone's private insurance loss rates.

Many states (Texas and Florida among them) have separate state-run windstorm coverage for places likely to experience hurricanes because the private insurers choose not to insure those losses. So those losses will have minimal affect on insurance rates anywhere.

And, as noted, state insurance commissions will have to approve rate changes.

Auto policies may be affected, but insurers break down areas much smaller than that. Insureds in Michigan aren't going to be dinged much, if any, for factors related to Texas or Florida. We may face increased rates here in Houston, but others won't.

It is a fear without much basis in fact.

And . . . "Capice?" What is this, "The Godfather?" Rhino's comments were mildly smart-assed and not particularly offensive to my ears.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If I could pay my house off completely I would not have a lick or insurance on it. And I say that with a wildfire bearing do on us right this minute. And I mean it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

But if you are so confident that you'll never have a home insurance claim, just cancel your insurance and go without...

I never said that.

What kind of bullshit retort is that anyway? You seem to like to fuck with me a lot in answers to my posts and I'd just as rather you stay the fuck out of them. Capice?

I don't screw with you specifically, I just disagree with your wanking about things, from time to time.

Like your lack of comprehending how insurance works, in this case.

If the house you are making mortgage payments on burned to the ground, you'd be the first person wanking for the rest of us to pay for it (which we would, via insurance). Regardless that you'll never make enough insurance payments to actually pay for it.

I understand that you are upset by my written words and are asking for a 'safe space', correct?

Maybe this can be your new avatar.

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:Rhino's comments were mildly smart-assed and not particularly offensive to my ears.

But recall that you are a Texan, with the requisite thick skin and a thriving sense of humor required to live in the United States of Texas.

I had two Texans as roommates in college and there wasn't much that could ruffle their feathers. Probably helped me become the smartass I am today. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
If I could pay my house off completely I would not have a lick or insurance on it. And I say that with a wildfire bearing do on us right this minute. And I mean it.

Help me understand please. What would your next move be if your house were destroyed?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Help me understand please. What would your next move be if your house were destroyed?

Shelter half maybe?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would build a new house.

So I have a have a mortgage. If I have a loss that the insurance company pays on. I will sweep off the foundation and rebuild for cash and most likely not insure it.

The only reason I have insurance currently is because I am required to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post