SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lung Cancer fight - round 2! Update Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lung Cancer fight - round 2! Update Page 5 Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Well some may remember my start with the Lung Cancer fight ten years ago. I have been cancer free for 10 years. A recent trip to the ER and hospital admission with coughing up blood got me a CT Scan. I have been on blood thinners since last August when I had a mild heart attack and a stent placed and at that time a CT showed nothing.

I have had two last year and one this year. Yag laser ablation of scar tissue in my lungs and trachea area from past radiation treatments to clean up my pipes. Well recent trip and stay at the hospital with a CT Scan and Bronchoscopy with biopsy show that the lung cancer has returned.

I am older but in slightly better shape. Ten years ago I was just getting over Pneumonia and was on O2 for six weeks when I started my concurrent chemo and radiation treatments.

I hope it has not spread and caught early. Have a PET Scan Wednesday the 13th then an phone visit with my Oncologist on the 18th.

If God is willing I am ready to fight this again.

Thanks
Roy

Update 1: So the Oncologist also ordered a MRI of the brain. He said if lung cancer spreads it usually goes to the brain. Well MRI was good.

The results have come back from the pathology lab. They were looking for certain genetic markers that would have allowed treatment with targeted pill therapy. Well no luck there.

So the treatment plan is Immunotherapy Treatment with some new drugs that just got approved. They are administered by infusion. The two drugs are Opdivo every two week for about two years. The other drug is Vervoy every 6 weeks for 6 months. Both have some really bad side effects.

The good news is when I met with the Oncology Nurse to discuss treatment plan, cost, and side effects. One of the side effects is hard to breath. Heck I already have that. My Pulmonologist has started me on a Prednisone steroid with a weekly taper. She said this treatment will be much easier on me then the last one which was concurrent Radiation and Chemo. She said this treatment shows much slower results. I just hope the Tumor stops growing. It is already hard for me to breathe at times. After listening to all of her presentation. I asked the big question. What is my prognosis? She said Good. Well that helped.

I have started one infusion treatment already. The scary thing at the first infusion of the two drugs on the pole were 4 bags. One was Sodium Chloride, the two drugs, and a forth bag. I asked the Infusion RN what was the fourth bag for. She said it was for an emergency dilution flush in case a bad side effect was to appear. Apparently the side effects appear rapidly. The Infusion RN also called me Friday last week, two days after infusion, to check on me.

So if the Good Lord is willing I am on road two and will fighting this Lung Cancer.

Thanks or all the prayers and well wishes.
God Bless
Roy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good Luck ontmark. I’ll add you to my nightly list. Be positive.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you.

Cancer sucks.

My prostate cancer is coming back slowly, after radiation failure.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Good luck ontmark! I have some loved ones dealing with the same, no part of it is fun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Best wishes. I remember you reached out to me when drs thought I had lung cancer.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19555 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kick its ass again.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once things clear up a bit on this Covid-19, maybe a few of us can get together in an appropriate setting and share a meal. I'm about an hour away from you.

My contact email is in my profile. Let me know what you think.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ontmark,
Hang in there. My thoughts are with you.

Also a survivor and dreading future diagnoses.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Dammit Roy, I’m sorry. You beat it last time, you’ll beat it again! Prayers sent

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for healing, strength and encouragement for you and your family

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and prayers for your recovery. So many people I know have been affected by this ugly disease.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to you. You beat it once, you can do it again. Stay strong.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Prayers Offered up on your behalf.

Posts: 5994 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to you and praying for you. Sounds like it was caught fairly early so you got that going for you.

Posts: 9727 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Kick its ass again.

And take names!

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and prayers, friend.

Posts: 45322 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
You will fight and beat this again sir.
Prayers sent your way.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to you, stay strong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1888 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I wish you well.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34063 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Prayers up for you in this second round...you beat it once so hang in there... you can beat it again!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10576 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post