SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't see the PRC doing it either - their policy towards North Korea has been one of relatively benign neglect for some sixty-five years now.

Both North and South Koreans have been fed promises of reunification for generations. It seems to have some of the same effects on Koreans that it had on Germans over the course of the Cold War. Do you really think they've been raised to hate and fear each other, or to hate and fear the opposing regime and its foreign backers?

So how do we win that war? We hand the problem to the one group of people who are actually committed to proving their worth as a nation by making reunification work. And the only group of people who match that description are the South Koreans.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Lil Kim has been paying attention to the Middle East the last few weeks?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to ponder how much artillery damage NK could do to Seoul before the sites were wiped out. According to the article linked below, most of NK's artillery isn't capable of reaching Seoul. The areas to the north are still heavily populated, though. Counter battery fire would quickly destroy the ones that can reach Seoul once the sites reveal themselves. Not saying that it wouldn't be really messy, but I don't think they could level Seoul to the extent that I was always led to believe.

How North Korea Would Retaliate

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
That orange area is still something close to 1 MILLION pounds of ordinance an hour.

I'd say that is significant.

14.2 loaded b52 an hour significant.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AND... We assume all of those "tubes" and ammo is still in fully operational condition.

If I remember correctly (and maybe I do not), after the USSR imploded and the wall came down, didn't we learn that a lot of what we thought the USSR had was in disrepair and non-operational?

I know we do not want to find out for sure by starting a shooting war, but shouldn't there be at least a little doubt about the true capability of the bigger mechanized stuff and the arty (I fully believe they have the men and the rifles)?

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
That orange area is still something close to 1 MILLION pounds of ordinance an hour.

I'd say that is significant.

14.2 loaded b52 an hour significant.

For how long before it is expended or they burn out the tubes?

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Do you really think they've been raised to hate and fear each other, or to hate and fear the opposing regime and its foreign backers?

I found reading "Dear Leader: My Escape from North Korea" very interesting.

The indoctrination is deep and pervasive, and there is no sparing of the South just because of shared ethnicity.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I really wonder how a fight would turn out there. We're fed a narrative that this huge NKA will fight rabidly to the death. I suspect they'll wither instead of fight. But I don't think we'll ever know because I don't think it'll come to fighting. The Kim regime is expert at surviving, if nothing else.

Rember these guys? The Iraqi Republican Guard and Saddam Husseign talked a pretty big game too. Didn't work out so well for them.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I really wonder how a fight would turn out there. We're fed a narrative that this huge NKA will fight rabidly to the death. I suspect they'll wither instead of fight. But I don't think we'll ever know because I don't think it'll come to fighting. The Kim regime is expert at surviving, if nothing else.

Rember these guys? The Iraqi Republican Guard and Saddam Husseign talked a pretty big game too. Didn't work out so well for them.

A coworker and I were speculating on this very topic this morning. You sure would like to think that an awful lot of them would cease fighting and get out of there if they thought they had a chance. Of course, if any of them did surrender and defect it would most likely spell doom for any family that they leave behind. You cannot tell me that 98% of that population isn't desperately miserable.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
History does show that countries which depend on fear to exist reach a point where there is nothing more for a person to lose. N Korea must be reaching that point.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are also the infiltration tunnels. Defectors in the 199O's report that there were at least twenty. They would be used to deploy elite units that would disrupt communications and instruture. Infiltration tunnel #3 at Outpost Dora was taken out by counter mining into it. It's big enough to fit a jeep and the ROK's show a file of soldier marching 4 abreast in the tunnel.finding the tunnels was interesting. To pinpoint then holes would be Drilled perpendicular to the suspected tunnel. Filled with water, a excuvating blast would cause geysers and show the location.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what's driving the urgency? Why now?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Maybe because they are actually getting close to the ability to launch a nuke at the US and their current leader is insane enough to do it? It's gonna happen sometime. Even our sworn enemies (Russia, China) are smart enough to know nuclear war benefits no one. This dip stick thinks it's his golden ticket to the world stage and he wants to dance.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

North Koreans prepare for 'Day of the Sun'

North Koreans placed flower baskets and bouquets below portraits of founder president Kim Il Sung on Friday, showing little sign of tension despite fears the reclusive nation may conduct a nuclear test and the United States would retaliate.

The 105th birth anniversary of the founder is on Saturday, celebrated as the Day of the Sun in North Korea, its most important holiday. The North Korean regime often uses such anniversaries for displays of military prowess.

A light rain fell in the capital, Pyongyang, as people wearing gumboots and holding umbrellas walked past portraits of the late leader and signs proclaiming "Sun Day is the most significant event in North Korea".

A military parade is likely to be held on Saturday to mark Kim Il Sung's anniversary but government minders have not confirmed any details with visiting foreign journalists. It is likely the current leader, his grandson Kim Jong Un, will make an appearance.

http://www.reuters.com/article...ersary-idUSKBN17G0WU

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Well, it's 9:38 AM Saturday 4/15/17 in Pyongyang right now. Kim Il Sung day. Will the fireworks start today?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I will sleep absolutely fine if the peninsula of Korea is gone tomorrow when I wake.

It's time that the rest of the world starts realizing we're done playing.

Get along or else.

Threaten our country, you're dead.

Watching the TFR traffic, I suspect china plans to do something about korea soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The CBS news interviewed the North Korean Foreign Minister, who stated that if they felt the US would attack, they would launch a preemptive strike. When asked if it would involve nuclear weapons, he responded that they would.

That is a dangerous statement from such an unstable regiem. A lot of innocent people could die if that idiot feels backed in a corner and tosses a nuke at S. Korea or Japan before a return shot could be fired.

343 - Never Forget