SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sure hope we are smart and lucky in that we can stop him before he goes past conventional armaments on Seoul.

Long past time that the regime in power in North Korea be replaced with something even mildly humane. That guy and his dad are/were sick.

Worries me... what a mess to deal with for new administration.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The big question for me is has Kim Jung idiot become so wrapped up in his own cult of personality and ego that he actually believes that he is the ultimate power in the Universe, and out of sheer ignorance and arrogance make order his troops to attack.

Given the indoctrination, would the troops follow the order or would they pop the idiot and be done with it?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The big question for me is has Kim Jung idiot become so wrapped up in his own cult of personality and ego that he actually believes that he is the ultimate power in the Universe, and out of sheer ignorance and arrogance make order his troops to attack.

Given the indoctrination, would the troops follow the order or would they pop the idiot and be done with it?

Fighter pilots are given too little fuel to cover escape, so I think there are some who know the truth. I imagine illegal radios are smuggled in.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a succinct description of my fear as well. Lil' Kim was raised on that shit; of course he believes it.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Pyongyang at sunrise...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
35 miles from the DMZ is the 4th largest city in the world, 18M people, it scares me every time I think about the catastrophic loss of life that will occur if a major conflict breaks out there.

Yes. Because while the North probably can't rain down precision strikes on us or the South, they can shell the shit out of Seoul with plain old, dumb, 19th century artillery.

That's the crux of this whole quandary.

The number of tubes pointed at Seoul is mind-boggling. There could be a Phalanx CIWS at every half-mile interval along Seoul's northern most border and it would barely dent the incoming barrage of steel. First strike would have to knock-out the ammo depots and magazines to all that artillery. The detonation of all the ammunition would probably create a new Grand Canyon of the Korean peninsula.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember when we sent a Carrier Battle Group some where and the news DIDN'T tell everyone on the planet where it was going and when it would be there?

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
35 miles from the DMZ is the 4th largest city in the world, 18M people, it scares me every time I think about the catastrophic loss of life that will occur if a major conflict breaks out there.

We should have done it in the late '50's when we had hell more US and UN troops in South Korea. We had better automatic weapons, better armoured vehicles and had realized the mistakes we made several years earlier.

Of course IKE wouldn't got for it.

I recall that MacArthur got himself in a mess trying that, when a zillion Chicoms decided to prevent his effort to unite the peninsula. Why would it work better the next time?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The motto of our forces stationed there is "We fight tonight". The norm for many years is to be locked and loaded and near the trigger. The firepower we have arrayed around N Korea is mind boggling. In the words of a general I heard speak there, a fight there will result in the most violent 24 hours in military history. The North Korean military leadership knows they will become a smoking hole in the ground if it starts.

The thing that keeps N Korea in check is the belief that we (the U.S.) will pull the trigger. I think they are far less likely to cross the line with Trump than they were with the previous administration. But there is the Wild Card. You never know what that nut job leader of theirs might do, or whether there is anyone left in the military who has the courage to stop him if he goes off the deep end.

Yes.

It's been 25 years, but sitting on alert "in-a-place-we-don't-mention" in S. Korea (F-15's from Kadena), the tension was palpable, and you were in a different mindset all the time.

We figured we would launch jets, but not recover jets, but we planned for "maybe", anyhow.

And the thought was that if the balloon ever went up, there would be an endless sea of "yellow" pouring in from the north and flowing to the East China Sea with force of a Tsunami.

And the last eight years seems to have resulted in the NORKs remembering that we will pull the trigger.

Will watch and see how this goes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but if this was the joel9507 Administration, we'd be doing a deal where NK becomes a province of China. Maybe under UN auspices....maybe not. Wink

Give China a few decades, and I would bet Pyongyang would be building the iPhone23 for Foxconn. And Lil' Kim would be disappeared somewhere in Central Asia, not far from where Afghanistan, India, Pakistan and China all run together, with a pick, building roads through the Himalayas.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Yes. Because while the North probably can't rain down precision strikes on us or the South, they can shell the shit out of Seoul with plain old, dumb, 19th century artillery.

That's the crux of this whole quandary.

The number of tubes pointed at Seoul is mind-boggling. There could be a Phalanx CIWS at every half-mile interval along Seoul's northern most border and it would barely dent the incoming barrage of steel. First strike would have to knock-out the ammo depots and magazines to all that artillery. The detonation of all the ammunition would probably create a new Grand Canyon of the Korean peninsula.

How about a large air raid that covers all those artillery pieces with cluster bombs? Fly along above those emplacements, scatter a few 100,000 cluster bombs on top of them.

I believe we actually have that capability.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The South Korean Military of 2017 is a far cry from what it was in 1950. They aren't alone on that border either.

343 - Never Forget

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Hard to believe his own people haven't taken that little piss ant out. Having spent some time in country, the only thing that worries me is that the Koreans don't necessarily think like you and me. We would logically think not to attack someone , who could annihilate us. They're not dependably that rational .

The other side of the coin is that S. Koreans think of N. Korea as a misguided family member.

Understatement of the year.

Uncle Bob got arrested again, bless his heart, he's trying his best, let's send him some bail/lawyer money.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Decades and decades of Stockholm Syndrome has its effect.

It goes much deeper than just that. They consider him their god. He's infallible and supreme.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This can't be good.

quote:
By John Ruwitch and Meng Meng | SHANGHAI

A fleet of North Korean cargo ships is heading home to the port of Nampo, the majority of it fully laden, after China ordered its trading companies to return coal from the isolated country, shipping data shows.

Following repeated missile tests that drew international criticism, China banned all imports of North Korean coal on Feb. 26, cutting off the country's most important export product.

To curb coal traffic between the two countries, China's customs department issued an official order on April 7 telling trading companies to return their North Korean coal cargoes, said three trading sources with direct knowledge of the order.

Shipping data on Thomson Reuters Eikon, a financial information and analytics platform, shows a dozen cargo ships on their way to North Korea's main west coast port of Nampo, almost all carrying cargoes from China.

Chinese authorities did not respond to requests for official comment.

The Trump administration has been pressuring China to do more to rein in North Korea, which sends the vast majority of its exports to its giant neighbor across the Yellow Sea.

But U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said last week's U.S. military strike against Syria over its alleged use of chemical weapons was a warning to other countries, including North Korea, that "a response is likely" if they pose a danger.

As a U.S. Navy strike group headed to the region in a show of force, China and South Korea agreed on Monday to slap tougher sanctions on North Korea if it carries out nuclear or long-range missile tests, a senior official in Seoul said.

North Korea marks several major anniversaries this month and often marks the occasions with major tests of military hardware.

TWO MILLION TONNES

A source at Dandong Chengtai, one of China's biggest buyers of North Korean coal, said the company had 600,000 tonnes of North Korean coal sitting at various ports, and a total of 2 million tonnes was stranded at Chinese ports.

Eikon data shows that most of these ships have recently left Chinese coal ports, including Weihai and Peng Lai, returning to North Korea full or mostly filled with cargo.

Last month, Reuters reported that Malaysia briefly prevented a North Korean ship carrying coal from China from entering its port in Penang because of a suspected breach in sanctions. The ship was eventually allowed to unload its 6,300 metric tonnes of anthracite coal.

North Korea is a significant supplier of coal to China, especially of the type used for steel making, known as coking coal.

To make up for the shortfall from North Korea, China has ramped up imports from the United States in an unexpected boon for U.S. President Donald Trump, who has declared he wants to revive his country's struggling coal sector.

Eikon data shows no U.S. coking coal was exported to China between late 2014 and 2016, but shipments soared to over 400,000 tonnes by late February.

This trend was exacerbated after cyclone Debbie knocked out supplies from the world's top coking coal region in Australia's state of Queensland, forcing Chinese steel makers to buy even more U.S. cargoes.

The other big coking coal supplier that has ramped up exports to China since the ban on North Korean cargoes is Russia.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The South Korean Military of 2017 is a far cry from what it was in 1950. They aren't alone on that border either.

This. The ROK troops of today won't "bug out" like those of November 1950.

Plus, we won't have Doug (full of himself) MacArthur directing traffic and believing that facing 250,000 Chinese volunteers in freezing weather would be no sweat.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by porterdog:
That's a succinct description of my fear as well. Lil' Kim was raised on that shit; of course he believes it.

Whether he believes it or not, that's how the family buisness has been run since his granddaddy's day and that's probably how the generals think it ought to be run.

Kim's still relatively new, and he did quite a bit of killing in what was apparently the process of consolidating his position. You don't just make waves that way. Kim made enemies and raised questions about his and his regime's stability. By now, doing anything in any way other than the way they have always been done would probably weaken his position.

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I'm sorry, but if this was the joel9507 Administration, we'd be doing a deal where NK becomes a province of China.

If the People's Republic of China winds up with it, then it winds up with it. Otherwise, why not hand it over to the South Koreans? China would have nothing to fear from a Korea where the South is still trying to get the North on its feet.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Where's this guy when we really need him?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I'm sorry, but if this was the joel9507 Administration, we'd be doing a deal where NK becomes a province of China.

If the People's Republic of China winds up with it, then it winds up with it. Otherwise, why not hand it over to the South Koreans? China would have nothing to fear from a Korea where the South is still trying to get the North on its feet.

Why not the South? Two thoughts.

1) Ethnicity is one thing, indoctrination is another: the Norks have not been raised since birth to hate the Chinese. Chinese could go in, set up a puppet government that is not run by a homocidal maniac, ship in food, take out the nukes and quite possibly pull it off. RoK comes in, and it would get ugly quick - and who would they call? (Not Ghostbusters. Think khaki.)

2) I agree that, at one level, whatever regime-change process works, works. But we need to learn from Iraq, wherein the important question is not 'Can we win a war?' but rather 'We won, now what?' Can you envision a regime-change process that would make the Southerners welcome occupiers of the North? I can't.

Who does that leave? There's not one thing on the entire Korean peninsula that is worth a single American life, so I surely don't see us deciding to nation-build a barren, non-productive wasteland populated by starving, irrational folks who have been trained since birth to hate us.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post