SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Seems like things are moving quietly?

US buildup near Korean Peninsula aimed at 'incapacitating' Kim:

By Jason M. Kopp Published March 14, 2017 FoxNews.com

North Korea threatens US with 'merciless' attacks
A growing U.S. presence off the Korean Peninsula, which includes drone stations, military drills and even elite American special forces, is reportedly part of a plan aimed at "incapacitating" the rogue regime in Pyongyang should conflict break out.

On Sunday, the U.S. declared it will permanently station unmanned missile capable drones in South Korea. The development came amid reports that elite U.S. forces - possibly including SEAL Team 6, will take part in joint military drills with South Korea.

North Korea's Kim Jong Un: From punchline to world menace

Two days later, North Korea issued a stern warning to the U.S. that it will launch merciless strikes if an aircraft carrier strike group led by the USS Carl Vinson in the area infringes on its territory.

“If they infringe on the DPRK’s [Democratic People's Republic of Korea] sovereignty and dignity even a bit, its army will launch merciless ultra-precision strikes from ground, air, sea, and underwater,” said Pyongyang’s state-run news agency, KCNA. “On March 11 alone, many enemy carrier-based aircraft flew along a course near territorial air and waters of the DPRK to stage drills of dropping bombs and making surprise attacks on the ground targets of its army.”

0305 kim jong unExpand / Contract
North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un has become increasingly belligerent.
Pyongyang has ratcheted up its rhetoric against South Korea and the U.S., and recently claimed has a nuclear warhead small enough to put on the tip of a missile. That, combined with reports the isolated communist dictatorship nation is working on an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the continental United States, has prompted international concerns that something must finally be done to contain North Korea.

The U.S. Navy SEAL Team Six reportedly was to join the annual Foal Eagle and Key Resolve exercises alongside the South Koreans for the first time. Foal Eagle is a joint exercise between the two allies and is one of the largest military exercises conducted annually in the world.

Foal Eagle started March 1 and runs through the end of April. Key Resolve, a computer-simulated command post exercise, began Monday and will continue until March 24.

South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency claims that the heightened military presence is part of a plan to decapitate North Korean leadership. They say a military official, who asked not be named told them “A bigger number of and more diverse U.S. special operation forces will take part in this year’s Foal Eagle and Key Resolve exercises to practice missions to infiltrate into the North, remove the North’s war command and demolition of its key military facilities.”

“Local U.S. special ops units will participate in the training, but Seal Team 6 is not part of this training.”

- US defense official
The Pentagon denied that SEAL Team 6 will be involved.

“Local U.S. special ops units will participate in the training,” a senior U.S. defense official told Fox News, “but Seal Team 6 is not part of this training.”

One former special operator told Fox News the Department of Defense will play its cards close to the vest on such matters.

"That makes sense," he said. "They should keep what they are doing secret and would never acknowledge movements.”

Former Vice Admiral and Commander of United States Special Operations Command [SOCOM] William McRaven, in his book 'Spec Ops,' wrote “The purpose of tight security is to prevent the enemy from gaining an advantage through foreknowledge of the impending attack… A failed security effort could result in the enemy preparing a surprise of his own…” In other words secrecy is vital."

When contacted for comment about what units are involved SOCOM, headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida, referred queries to Special Operations Command Korea [SOCKOR], based in South Korea. They did not respond in time for the publishing of this article.

A recent internal White House review of strategy on North Korea included the possibility of military force or regime change to blunt the country’s nuclear-weapons threat.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...ting-kim-report.html

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Every year we have military exercises in Korea. Every year the North Koreans threaten everybody.

The North Koreans also make threats when they want something. Any concessions by the North are taken back in short order.

There's no doubt the UN and the ROKS have firm plans for regime change. However, Seoul is within sight of the DMZ and there are no significant natural barriers in the way. Any conflict would mean heavy damage to South Korea.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well if we ever need to know whats going on with our military around the globe, Meggan Kelly and Sheppy n our gang will be our go toos.. Big Grin. They know everything, every where, all the time. Shoot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Except for the likelihood that innocent people would suffer, I wish he'd actually do something so we could sweep in and free the people.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
35 miles from the DMZ is the 4th largest city in the world, 18M people, it scares me every time I think about the catastrophic loss of life that will occur if a major conflict breaks out there.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Was it ol' BJ Clinton that gave Kim nuclear capability?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Was it ol' BJ Clinton that gave Kim nuclear capability?

I think it was rocket tech.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
wrong verb

not incapacitate

should be decapitate

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Missile-armed drones off the coast of North Korea, and not a word from the Chinese?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe his own people haven't taken that little piss ant out. Having spent some time in country, the only thing that worries me is that the Koreans don't necessarily think like you and me. We would logically think not to attack someone , who could annihilate us. They're not dependably that rational .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Decades and decades of Stockholm Syndrome has its effect.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
35 miles from the DMZ is the 4th largest city in the world, 18M people, it scares me every time I think about the catastrophic loss of life that will occur if a major conflict breaks out there.

We should have done it in the late '50's when we had hell more US and UN troops in South Korea. We had better automatic weapons, better armoured vehicles and had realized the mistakes we made several years earlier.

Of course IKE wouldn't got for it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I really wonder how a fight would turn out there. We're fed a narrative that this huge NKA will fight rabidly to the death. I suspect they'll wither instead of fight. But I don't think we'll ever know because I don't think it'll come to fighting. The Kim regime is expert at surviving, if nothing else.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

NORK has artillery positioned with the mission of destroying Seoul if hostilities break out.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As back in the 50's the question could/may/will China intervene, but now maybe which side?
NK seems to tweek China also,maybe they would like to see NK under different leadership?
And there is the other participant that was involved in the 50's, Russia, maybe they want to play over there as well as the Mideast?
What goes around comes around?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
As back in the 50's the question could/may/will China intervene, but now maybe which side?
NK seems to tweek China also,maybe they would like to see NK under different leadership?
And there is the other participant that was involved in the 50's, Russia, maybe they want to play over there as well as the Mideast?
What goes around comes around?

According to Maxine Waters, Putin has already invaded Korea .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The motto of our forces stationed there is "We fight tonight". The norm for many years is to be locked and loaded and near the trigger. The firepower we have arrayed around N Korea is mind boggling. In the words of a general I heard speak there, a fight there will result in the most violent 24 hours in military history. The North Korean military leadership knows they will become a smoking hole in the ground if it starts.

The thing that keeps N Korea in check is the belief that we (the U.S.) will pull the trigger. I think they are far less likely to cross the line with Trump than they were with the previous administration. But there is the Wild Card. You never know what that nut job leader of theirs might do, or whether there is anyone left in the military who has the courage to stop him if he goes off the deep end.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I wonder what kind of bunkers the North has for their Command and Control and where 'ol Kim might hide out...

The effective US strategy of taking out the C&C in the first stages would (I would think) be particularly effective with the way the North's leadership controls everything in the country...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I wonder what kind of bunkers the North has for their Command and Control and where 'ol Kim might hide out...

The effective US strategy of taking out the C&C in the first stages would (I would think) be particularly effective with the way the North's leadership controls everything in the country...

I think we'd only have to follow the trail of empty beer cans to figure out which bunker the sawed-off little runt is in.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Because while the North probably can't rain down precision strikes on us or the South, they can shell the shit out of Seoul with plain old, dumb, 19th century artillery.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post