SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rowing Machines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rowing Machines Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I went with the Concept2 from Amazon.

My logic was, if they are used in gyms across the country they will hold up and be reliable for home use.

I did try the water rower and liked it as well. The sales guy was pushing some other brand of non water rower and he kind of talked me out it. He talked about having to change the water in them, the extra noise, and the limited resistance range (not sure if any of that's true).

If the water rower is just as reliable as the concept2 I would give them a hard look and settle on the one that motivates you the most. It's hard to compare models because there are not a lot of Concept2 dealers around...

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
I went with the Concept2 from Amazon.

My logic was, if they are used in gyms across the country they will hold up and be reliable for home use.

I did try the water rower and liked it as well. The sales guy was pushing some other brand of non water rower and he kind of talked me out it. He talked about having to change the water in them, the extra noise, and the limited resistance range (not sure if any of that's true).

If the water rower is just as reliable as the concept2 I would give them a hard look and settle on the one that motivates you the most. It's hard to compare models because there are not a lot of Concept2 dealers around...

Good news is you got a great machine. The Concepts are a high quality machine and will give you an excellent workout.
They are in most gyms for a number of reasons. They are a good machine, they are about $300 if not cheaper a unit (most gyms have a few row machine so the savings add up), and the WaterRower brands are just flat pieces of art that don’t fit the box style of many gyms. They have the CrossFit clout.

As to what the salesman told about the off brand water rower may be true for the off brand but is not for the WaterRower brand.

All of the following are for the WaterRower brand as I have zero firsthand knowledge of any other brand.
But the WaterRower You don’t need to change the water in them often. Only real reason you would is if your machine is always in direct sunlight, you don’t use it but once a month or so, or you don’t add the chlorine tablets when you are supposed to.
I would argue that the WaterRower is more quiet quiet than the Concept which sounds metallic because it is a chain driven fan where the WaterRower you just hear a pleasant whoosh of rowed water the machines operation in nearly silent, you just hear the moving water. The resistance options are equal, the concept is easier to adjust the resistance on the fly as you just slide the resistance lever. The WaterRower you add water to the tank for more resistance and remove water for less. Both of which are very easy to do just can’t be done on the fly.

I have tons of hours on both with far more on the Concept as the Y I go to swapped their WaterRowers a few years back for the Concepts.

Good thing is you can’t go wrong with either unit from a work out standpoint and I realize everyone is different but I am far more motivated to row on a WaterRower and find myself rowing longer and better because I enjoy the experience.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post