SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rowing Machines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rowing Machines Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've had a WaterRower for almost two years and it is a very good unit. I bought it based on the recommendations here from experienced rowers and they weren't wrong. I have used the Concept 2 in gyms and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The WaterRower does feel more like the real thing, but I have also had to replace 3 plastic seat rollers on it. On the upside, the company sent them free of charge and it only takes a few minutes.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at rowers for months and have been stuck between the 2 models listed. I am leaning towards the water rower.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
I'll throw another vote in here for the WaterRower. I bought one almost exactly one year ago based on a couple of threads here as well as the recommendation of a friend. The things I like the most about it are the natural feel, the quietness and the fact that it looks more like a piece of furniture. Every review I had read on the Concept2 said that it is most definitely noisy. The WaterRower is so quiet that I can easily listen to music while I workout without having to crank it up. I have put over one million meters on it this last year and look forward to piling up many more in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
The concept 2 also has less maintenance over time as you just oil a chain every 50 hours versus dropping in a chlorine pill. I think the oil is cheaper than the chlorine tabs but i could be wrong.

Just to clarify, dropping in the purification table takes about 10 seconds every six months or so and WaterRower will provide them for free. All one needs to do is fill out the request form on their website and they mail them to you. Easy peasy!

AH good t know!

To the OP you will be fine with either machine so don't over think it. One advantage to the Concept2 is if you ever have the need you could add slides to take your body mass out of the equation, I also found that if you are using a tablet to watch netflix etc... while you row the concept 2 is better as you can purchase a very cheap holder for it. The monitor is also positioned in a better spot as well(thats more opinion though). The thing I really liked about the water rower was how peaceful it seems while you are struggling your ass off so it definately gets style points.

See I hate the position of the monitor on the Concept2. Right smack in front of your face. I focus on all the numbers and my row seems like it is taking forever. I have to angle it down so I can't see it. Then pop a hand off the bar occasionally to raise it so I know where I am at.

The Water Rower I just look forward most of the row and drop my gaze down occasionally to catch the monitor.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I've had my WaterRower Club model for nearly a year. It's a well-made rower.
I like being able to warm up gently and increase effort at my pace. It's smooth, quiet and easy to use.

I needed something that was easy on the joints, as I can't use free-weights anymore. My back won't tolerate it.
I haven't had any issues with my back using the WaterRower.

I like being able to turn the radio on and start rowing whenever I'm ready, without having to drive to a gym.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
IMO there is no reason to buy anything other than a Concept 2

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
I've rowed in 4 and 8 person boats (both with coxswain) and the Concept 2 models B and C while I was part of a rowing team. I currently own a model D. You can't go wrong with any of Concept2 rowers.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
See I hate the position of the monitor on the Concept2. Right smack in front of your face. I focus on all the numbers and my row seems like it is taking forever.

Different strokes and all Smile

I've an engineering mindset. I need to see measurement. That's why I always wear a heart rate monitor when I do cardio. "Perceived effort" just doesn't cut it for me. So, for me, having that display right in front of me I regard as an advantage.

Storage: It appears the WaterRower can be stood on end for storage, too, but, I imagine, you'd need to drain it, first?

mod29: I know what you mean about having to drive to the gym. Mine's only 15 minutes away, but still...

I've got a set of WOSS suspension trainers, a barbell, a weight-selectable set of dumbbells, an ab wheel, and a bench. All I really need to add is a cardio machine of some type and I could do most of my fitness regimen at home. Maybe once I get the Man Cave Project completed, and the follow-up Storage Room Project, I'll consider that. Until then I'll stick with the gym.

One advantage to the gym is I get regular socializing in. Something I've missed since I retired.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Go with the Concept 2. It's what we used when I was on the rowing team at Dartmouth. It is is the choice of just about every rowing team I know of.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Black it must be we just like what we like! Admittedly i started on a C2, friend went with the water rower so I have been on both but prefer the one I've used for awhile.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
See I hate the position of the monitor on the Concept2. Right smack in front of your face. I focus on all the numbers and my row seems like it is taking forever.

Different strokes and all Smile

I've an engineering mindset. I need to see measurement. That's why I always wear a heart rate monitor when I do cardio. "Perceived effort" just doesn't cut it for me. So, for me, having that display right in front of me I regard as an advantage.

Storage: It appears the WaterRower can be stood on end for storage, too, but, I imagine, you'd need to drain it, first?

mod29: I know what you mean about having to drive to the gym. Mine's only 15 minutes away, but still...

I've got a set of WOSS suspension trainers, a barbell, a weight-selectable set of dumbbells, an ab wheel, and a bench. All I really need to add is a cardio machine of some type and I could do most of my fitness regimen at home. Maybe once I get the Man Cave Project completed, and the follow-up Storage Room Project, I'll consider that. Until then I'll stick with the gym.

One advantage to the gym is I get regular socializing in. Something I've missed since I retired.

There's no right or wrong here but I'm with you ensigmatic. Its amazing how quick your body gets used to an exercise. I've done 1.85M meters this year goal is 2M and I will clear it easily. But I have made very few gains, partly diet but also cause I haven't been pushing myself. It's not enough to get on any piece of equipment and just go through the motions. I am now on a course to beat each prior row by a second in pace.

To the OP when you get rolling for the first time and get your form down I would start this:

The beginners pete plan, great way to work the meters up without feeling like it.
https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

No need to drain it.
The tank is not full so it does not come to the fill cap when you stand it up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I like our C2 PM5. It will also talk to the iPad for the LiveRowing app. Lots of challenges and workouts. I admit I haven’t used it much but I like it. Between C2 and LiveRowing, you can see challenges from pro athletes and even celebrities if that’s your thing.

Samatha Briggs did a 500m challenge, she holds the record in her group. Something like 1:33 for 500m.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here used the Concept 2 Ski Erg? What do you think about it?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was trying to figure out which one to buy. I ended up purchasing a Concept 2 and have been VERY pleased with it. It is a great machine that I found easy to work with and move. It lives on my screened back porch so it has to be brought inside from time to time due to hurricanes.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Concept II and never look back. Step away from everything else. The gold standard.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a drive to the concept 2 factory in Morrisville, VT.

Picked one up and drove home with it.

The people were very friendly.

I also looked at the dynamic rower, but chose the standard.

It is great to use.

Now if only I got off my ass and used it more often.

I would be in much better shape.

I usually use it more in the winter.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info mark60 and Black92LX. Just ordered a Club model with the extended rails tonight.

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Has anyone here used the Concept 2 Ski Erg? What do you think about it?
I use it when I go to the gym / sauna. It's a good workout.

We love our Concept 2 Model D rower. I don't even store it as we both use it daily. Didn't even think my wife would use it when I bought it and was very pleased to see her jump on.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a Concept 2 for years, stopped using it for a while.

just started again, oiled the chain and it was ready to go.

I have the model D

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Purchased a Water Rower 2 weeks ago based on the other thread. So far so good. Working on getting the rowing form going.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Purchased a Water Rower 2 weeks ago based on the other thread. So far so good. Working on getting the rowing form going.

Use the ratio option on the S4 monitor help you get your technique down:

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post