SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rowing Machines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rowing Machines Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
I'm in the market for a rowing machine. There was a thread a while back about them, but I haven't been able to locate it using the search function.

It appears that Concept2 and WaterRower are both popular and high quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations? What have you used? What do you like? Are there any drawbacks to consider?

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They had Concept2 rowers at Life Time Fitness when I was a member there. I quite liked them. I think that's the way I'd go for a cardio machine at home. I'd prefer an elliptical, but even a reconditioned commercial-grade elliptical is spendy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Concept 2. I've had mine for 30 years and it's still very serviceable. I use it constantly.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Concept for years. I find the Concept easy to use and the graphics and readout are easy to read. The tension band finally broke and I had to call Concept to get a new one. Prices seemed very reasonable for replacement parts.

I also learned that there are no Concept repair centers. They told me it is a fix it yourself type repair. While the band was easy to fix, a fan bushing then went out. The repair people were very explanatory and helpful and I was able to make the repairs myself. It really is a simple machine to use and repair if needed.

I would highly recommend the Concept machine.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have one of these, actually feels and sounds like your rowing on a lake... https://www.waterrower.com/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate running, or biking. So for me a rower is great. I've been using a Concept2 for the past four years, and am very pleased, and it's been very durable. It's shared by several people at our "garage gym," and hasn't had a single problem. In that same time a friend has had his treadmill die on him twice.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I love my Concept2, rowing has really helped my banged up knees in range of motion and gaining strength.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Concept 2 is an absolutely fantastic machine and that is exactly what you feel like you are doing working out on a machine.

The Water Rower is just as excellent with out the stale clunky feeling.
The Water Rower is a far more pleasant and soothing experience while getting the same workout.
The resistance and feel are much more smooth to me and the sound is very soothing the motion feels more natural. I also find the saddle on the Water Rower more comfortable and sturdy.
I have many many many hours on both and both are excellent but some day I'll get around to buying one and it will be the Water Rower.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Concept 2 is easy to put together, I use the one we have or one at work often. I would recommend the taller one, as you don't have to sit down near as low to the ground.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I have a concept2, purchase based on info from here and from a friend who had one.
My husband and I both used it regularly, then ignored it, the I started using it sporadically again, and it hasn’t missed a beat. Not once have I needed to do anything to it beyond a simple wipe down, and I’ve had it for a few years now. A worthwhile purchase for me. No idea how expensive the water rower is, but the concept2 was worth it’s price, imho.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive used both. Own a concept 2. Both are good machines. The water rowers resistance is less than the concept2 so if you ever wanted to compete the concept 2 is the way to go. The concept 2 also has less maintenance over time as you just oil a chain every 50 hours versus dropping in a chlorine pill. I think the oil is cheaper than the chlorine tabs but i could be wrong.

So the pricing is nearly the same, both are good machines, i prefer concept2. Put over 3 million meters on mine in under 2 years.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Concept 2 is an absolutely fantastic machine and that is exactly what you feel like you are doing working out on a machine.

The Water Rower is just as excellent with out the stale clunky feeling.

I never got a "stale clunky feeling" from the Concept2's at my old club. They felt very smooth.

Jeez, now you guys are making me miss the rowers at my old club. My new club doesn't have any Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I'll throw another vote in here for the WaterRower. I bought one almost exactly one year ago based on a couple of threads here as well as the recommendation of a friend. The things I like the most about it are the natural feel, the quietness and the fact that it looks more like a piece of furniture. Every review I had read on the Concept2 said that it is most definitely noisy. The WaterRower is so quiet that I can easily listen to music while I workout without having to crank it up. I have put over one million meters on it this last year and look forward to piling up many more in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
The concept 2 also has less maintenance over time as you just oil a chain every 50 hours versus dropping in a chlorine pill. I think the oil is cheaper than the chlorine tabs but i could be wrong.

Just to clarify, dropping in the purification table takes about 10 seconds every six months or so and WaterRower will provide them for free. All one needs to do is fill out the request form on their website and they mail them to you. Easy peasy!

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a waterrower for 15+ years. Still good as the day I got it.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a concept 2 that I have put 200K+ kilometers on. Still good as the day I got it. I definitely recommend.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
I'll throw another vote in here for the WaterRower. I bought one almost exactly one year ago based on a couple of threads here as well as the recommendation of a friend. The things I like the most about it are the natural feel, the quietness and the fact that it looks more like a piece of furniture. Every review I had read on the Concept2 said that it is most definitely noisy. The WaterRower is so quiet that I can easily listen to music while I workout without having to crank it up. I have put over one million meters on it this last year and look forward to piling up many more in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
The concept 2 also has less maintenance over time as you just oil a chain every 50 hours versus dropping in a chlorine pill. I think the oil is cheaper than the chlorine tabs but i could be wrong.

Just to clarify, dropping in the purification table takes about 10 seconds every six months or so and WaterRower will provide them for free. All one needs to do is fill out the request form on their website and they mail them to you. Easy peasy!

AH good t know!

To the OP you will be fine with either machine so don't over think it. One advantage to the Concept2 is if you ever have the need you could add slides to take your body mass out of the equation, I also found that if you are using a tablet to watch netflix etc... while you row the concept 2 is better as you can purchase a very cheap holder for it. The monitor is also positioned in a better spot as well(thats more opinion though). The thing I really liked about the water rower was how peaceful it seems while you are struggling your ass off so it definately gets style points.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had concept2 for a long time. Good thing.

Posts: 11 | Registered: November 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the information, you guys. I’m leaning towards the WaterRower Xeno Muller edition. The quieter operation of the WaterRower is a primary consideration. Storage and looks are also advantages. I do like the price of the Convept2 though.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:
Thanks for all of the information, you guys. I’m leaning towards the WaterRower Xeno Muller edition. The quieter operation of the WaterRower is a primary consideration. Storage and looks are also advantages. I do like the price of the Convept2 though.

For Storage the Concept 2 stands up on end. It takes up maybe a 24"x18" square area. It sits in the corner pretty nicely when not used.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Obviously you can't go wrong with either the Water rower or the Concept 2.
Black92LX helped me with the same decision a while back and I went with the Water rower with no regrets at all. I've since used a Concept 2 at the gym and it's a great machine but I prefer the feel of the Water rower. The quieter operation is also a big plus for me. It sounds less like an exercise machine and more like a day on the lake. A strenuous day on the lake.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post