SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cabela's Shelves Bare Naked ...
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cabela's Shelves Bare Naked ... Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
Dropped by Cabela's today following another errand. Know ammo is scarce and expensive but thought would grab a few boxes of bullets to reload in some empty cases I have (9mm, 38/357, 30 cal, 257).

The shelves were bone dry naked ... no loaded ammo and less then 10 boxes of 100 count bullets in a couple odd sizes and a few more in 50 cal. Sitting alone on the shelf was one box of 100 count Hornady 257 117 grain Super Shock Tip for $38. Grabbed the one box. Got a 5% veteran discount. Maybe not the best price but at least can load a few extra rounds for my 1950s 257 Roberts mauser action.

Cabela's was busy with folks buying what few guns were left. Shocked by how little inventory they had and how many of the gun cases were removed.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Where might this be? Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My first thought is if you're doing Cabela's for reloading components, you're doing it wrong but, I then read you were there for another effort. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Drove by Cabela’s “World Headquarters” in Sidney, Nebraska about a week ago. Couldn’t bring myself to stop. Parking lot had just a few pickups in it. The huge corporate office building had about 10 vehicles parked outside, I don’t remember now who is leasing it, but they don’t need much of it. Just sad.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A friend sent me a photo on Friday morning of the front doors of the local Academy Sports, just prior to opening. There were about two dozen people standing in line, waiting to get in to hopefully buy some ammo.

Things were already crazy enough, and then Biden's gun control announcement on Thursday drove the hysteria even higher.

So yeah, the bare shelves are now even bare-r.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:

Marysville, Washington. They are not the go to for any of my needs, but frankly somewhere I stop into when in this part of the neighborhood. I very seldom find anything to buy from Cabela's here but try to watch for a deal or two.

I prefer to find my deals online, but thought to share what I learned today from this brick and mortar.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
My first thought is if you're doing Cabela's for reloading components, you're doing it wrong but, I then read you were there for another effort. Big Grin

To share from another post ...

Marysville, Washington. They are not the go to for any of my needs, but frankly somewhere I stop into when in this part of the neighborhood. I very seldom find anything to buy from Cabela's here but try to watch for a deal or two.

I prefer to find my deals online, but thought to share what I learned today from this brick and mortar.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Cabela"s is only a name now that they are no owned by the Bass Pro chain for what that is worth ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

Marysville, Washington.

Check Adventure Sports in Lynnwood.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
quote:

Marysville, Washington.

Check Adventure Sports in Lynnwood.

Thanks ... will do sir !

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Cabela"s is only a name now that they are no owned by the Bass Pro chain for what that is worth ................. drill sgt.

I forgot they were bought out by Bass Pro ... makes sense now.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:

I forgot they were bought out by Bass Pro ... makes sense now.

Yep. They've gutted the company. Just bought Sportsmans Warehouse, they'll kill that also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Was in a BassPro Shop last weekend. They have basically redone the ammo area. It's now filled with clays and other supplies.

Just a small area for ammo... and only a few boxes of odds and ends.

You know the situation is bad when they decide to allocate the floor/shelving space for other products!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
...Just bought Sportsmans Warehouse, they'll kill that also.

Is there much left to kill when you're the K-Mart of the hook n'bullet business channel? Big Grin

On a more serious note, I hate Bass Pro. I loathe their house-brand RedHead, seeing the nearest Cabela's to me get infested with racks and aisles of that crappy, low-end, poorly made shit ...I just had to turn-around and walk back out.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My point has been that it's not a case of the retailors selling out of it, the retailors can't get it. So where is it? If the makers claim they are working overtime to try and meet demand, who is buying it? How is it disappearing between the manufacturer and the retailer? I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist but something funny is going on.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Fond memories of Para's "buy cheap, stack it deep" ammo purchase reminder post a couple years back. I had too much then, but his point was valid so I bought some more anyway. It was in ammo cans spread out over my basement so I bought a couple stack on safes, the cheap locking cabinets to stack it up. At that time it was stacked deep and high - when I ran out of space I bought some more ammo anyway. Lacking safe space, I got some 20mm mortar cans that held about 120 lbs of ammo and filled those up.

At some point I see the ammo dry up, so I figured I'd count my rounds. 22,000 rounds of 5.56, 8,918 rounds of 7.62x51, too much 9mm and too much .45. Sold 15000 rounds of 5.56, 6,000 rounds of 7.62 and thousands of .45 and 9mm. It's actually refreshing to get some of the room in my basement back.

Para's point then was that if enough of us stocked up, it would both mitagate the panic we felt, and sales would help ease the lack of ammo. That part was right, but it's still stunning to see this all play out. Buddy's kid went to go buy an AR-15, and a S&W model 2 that was selling for $500 a bit ago is now well over $700, if you can find one at all. They're sold out and everyone who is buying one wants ammo for it.

The rest of Para's post was that shortages come, but they will go. This one too will ease up, and remember the point that when ammo is plentiful, and it will be again, stock up.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
My point has been that it's not a case of the retailers selling out of it, the retailers can't get it. So where is it? If the makers claim they are working overtime to try and meet demand, who is buying it? How is it disappearing between the manufacturer and the retailer? I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist but something funny is going on.

I agree. This has been going on long enough that it seems very strange.
I have some back-orders that are getting close to 6 months old at various places. If the ammo is being made faster than ever those back-orders should be getting filled by now.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabela's/Bass Pro/SWH will be slow getting supplies because Johnny Morris is a sleazebag who is behind on payments to vendors. Steve Hornady cut him (Morris) off because he was apparently more concerned with building another golf course or sponsoring NASCAR than he was paying his bills.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
My point has been that it's not a case of the retailors selling out of it, the retailors can't get it. So where is it? If the makers claim they are working overtime to try and meet demand, who is buying it? How is it disappearing between the manufacturer and the retailer? I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist but something funny is going on.

add to it that Wal-Mart is not longer buying a large chuck of production, where did that go, up in smoke?

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Yep. They've gutted the company. Just bought Sportsmans Warehouse, they'll kill that also.[/QUOTE]

When did that happen? I thought Sportsman's just bought some of the assets from the Remington BK.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post