SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walt Disney World (Orlando) questions-Fast Pass +, etc...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walt Disney World (Orlando) questions-Fast Pass +, etc... Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Will be taking my lovely bride and six year-old son to Walt Disney World in February 2019. Reservations make for Contemporary Hotel; four nights/days.

First day to purchase Fast Pass + is 12/13/2018 (tomorrow). Is it imperative to purchase the Fast Pass + reservations right away when i first can? I've done some research online, and I *think* I have it *mostly* straight, but opinions from those who have been there or know are very much appreciated.

It seems like I can reserve three rides/attractions in advance per each day I'll be there. Is this correct? It is unclear to me if I can reserve three per day per park in advance (i.e. three at the Magic Kingdom and three at Epcot on a Tuesday). Is this possible, or even realistic if it is possible?

Assuming it is three Fast Pass + in advance per day, NOT per park per day, can I then get more Fast Pass + reservations as I use them up?

What would be the best way to utilize the Fast Pass + reserations-what attractions? We are staying onsite, so would it be better to be "first in line" and hit the premier rides/attractions right away, and use the Fast Pass + for something different or maybe for a second go at the premier ride/attraction?

We have no plans on which days to go to which park; I have never been but my lovely bride has been as a child; I am open to thoughts on how to spend time-I'm currently thinking two days at Magic Kingdom, one at Epcot Center and the other day, who knows?

As mentioned above, staying at the Contemporary Hotel. I am planning to upgrade to the tower-does anyone have opinions on Park view versus Bay view for a tower room? I'm leaning toward Bay view as it is less costly, and it seems the hotel has a viewing balcony to watch the fireworks if we so desire (and we're not in the park to do so).

Thoughts? We'll be arriving by car on a Monday afternoon and leaving Friday. Any opinions and ideas and thoughts are welcome!

More questions as they arise; past threads on Disney have been helpful.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Fast pass is good but it’s not going to make it perfect.

In the magic kingdom, the key is to ignore the parade and fireworks. That’s the best time to ride. Most people are tired and take a break to watch the parade and fireworks. Save your energy until that time and hit the rides hard and heavy.

When the 6 yo needs a break, don’t sit down, get on the people mover. Line moves fast you just step on and rest on the ride.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I have been to Disney World twice, most recently this past September. I loathe it, but my wife loves it. My 2 boys are 6 & 7, and they obviously love it as well. My wife handles EVERYTHING, and she is not here, but I will give advice based on what I know.

quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Will be taking my lovely bride and six year-old son to Walt Disney World in February 2019. Reservations make for Contemporary Hotel; four nights/days.

Is your boy 48" tall? You need to be 48" to ride most, but not all rides.

First day to purchase Fast Pass + is 12/13/2018 (tomorrow). Is it imperative to purchase the Fast Pass + reservations right away when i first can? I've done some research online, and I *think* I have it *mostly* straight, but opinions from those who have been there or know are very much appreciated.

Yes, get them ASAP.

It seems like I can reserve three rides/attractions in advance per each day I'll be there. Is this correct? It is unclear to me if I can reserve three per day per park in advance (i.e. three at the Magic Kingdom and three at Epcot on a Tuesday). Is this possible, or even realistic if it is possible?

Assuming it is three Fast Pass + in advance per day, NOT per park per day, can I then get more Fast Pass + reservations as I use them up?

We do not go to multiple parks per day. It seemed like a waste. I believe you have to have some special type of pass to visit multiple parks per day. Just pick one park and spend all day there. Or, since you are so close, go there first thing, then go back to the hotel for lunch/break, then back for more. I think you are able to get more, but I don't think my wife was ever able to get more after usign the first one, I could be wrong on that though.

What would be the best way to utilize the Fast Pass + reserations-what attractions? We are staying onsite, so would it be better to be "first in line" and hit the premier rides/attractions right away, and use the Fast Pass + for something different or maybe for a second go at the premier ride/attraction?

Be first inline, then use the fast passes a little later when the rides get super crowded.

We have no plans on which days to go to which park; I have never been but my lovely bride has been as a child; I am open to thoughts on how to spend time-I'm currently thinking two days at Magic Kingdom, one at Epcot Center and the other day, who knows?

You need to figure this out ASAP. You're running out of time. Also, if staying on property (you are), certain parks have early admission for folks staying on prem...I think it's called Magic Hours. You get in 1 hour earlier than people staying off prem. It's only certain parks on certain days.

I will say, do not bother trying to go to mine train first thing in the morning. That is the ride everyone rushes in for. We did notice you can get a TON of rides in on Space Mountain on a magic hours day, while everyone else is in line for mine train. I think we got 8+ rides in on Space Mountain the day we had magic hours before the line started getting long. Everyone and their mother races to Mine Train. We were at Space Mountain with very few people. We went so many times we actually got tires of it! We then rode mine train with a fast pass later.

As mentioned above, staying at the Contemporary Hotel. I am planning to upgrade to the tower-does anyone have opinions on Park view versus Bay view for a tower room? I'm leaning toward Bay view as it is less costly, and it seems the hotel has a viewing balcony to watch the fireworks if we so desire (and we're not in the park to do so).

We haven't stayed there, but always get 1 character lunch there on our trip (Chef Mickey maybe???). Awesome hotel, but out of our budget.

Thoughts? We'll be arriving by car on a Monday afternoon and leaving Friday. Any opinions and ideas and thoughts are welcome!

More questions as they arise; past threads on Disney have been helpful.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fast pass will give you access much quicker, if you don't have it you're in the long lines for popular rides, it's worth the price.

Other advice to get to good rides early is smart, but at some point the park will fill up and you'll be in heavy traffic, its a popular destination, Feb weather should be good, be sure to have some sweaters and light jackets in case we get a cold spell.

Have fun.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

This is completely wrong.

There is not a single ride at Magic Kingdom or Epcot that requires 48" height. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom each have ONE ride with a 48" requirement.

Across those four parks, there are exactly THREE more rides, total, with a 44" requirement.

https://disneyworld.disney.go....height-requirements/

Most rides have no height requirement and the ones that do are mostly between 32"-40".

Even at the water parks, only about 1/3 of the rides require 48" or more.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck and patience Sir!!
We just got back with our boys 5, 3, and 1 and it was an experience.

Aside from what folks have said already take a look at the days you are there and the hours the parks are open. Some have extra hours from time to time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fast pass window opens at 7AM EST. Get online and reserve the Fast Pass then. I suggest these rides:

Avatar Flight of Passage (44" or taller)
Na'vi River Journey (any height)
Peter Pan's Flight (any height)
Toy Story Mania (any height)
Slinky Dog Dash (38" or taller)
Frozen Ever After (any height)
Test Track (40" or taller)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38" or taller)

These are the newer rides, and are the ones with the longest standby lines (some can get to 3 hours Roll Eyes ).

Also, the Disney World App can help with wait times for other attractions.

I highly recommend the Avatar Flight of Passage ride at Animal Kingdom--there's a reason it is so popular.

When I was there in September, there was a lot of construction going on at Hollywood studios. The Star Wars land is under construction, there's a new sky tram being built, and the bus stop has been moved to the middle of the parking lot, about ¼ mile from the entrance.

For four days I would suggest 2 at Magic Kingdom, 1 at EPCOT, 1 at Animal Kingdom, and skip Hollywood Studios (due to the construction, and fewer attractions than the others. That would take out the Slinky Dog Dash & Toy Story Mania from Fast Pass, and free up other attractions).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

This is completely wrong.

Yep. My mistake.

I was thinking of the local 6 flags where we have season passes.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mickey’s Christmas Celebration

I believe that ends in December so it shouldn't be an issue in Feb when he said they were going.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
These are some good pointers. Please, keep them coming.

1967Goat, I have the Park Hopper Plus option...will I still need to nail down and reserve which park for which day?

I'm going to look and see what park times are for each park later today; that may help with decisions. I always figured the Magic Kingdom was *the* place to go to...but some advice offered seems good about Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choose one park for your fast passes per day. Even though your wife has been there before, lots of things have changed and in essence it is everyone's first time there. You will want to see as much as you can, without bouncing from park to park.

Try to plan your fast passes in an order of walking from one to the next. We bounced from one side of the park to the other and had to back track in order to see the stuff we missed in between.

For Epcot, you can only pick Flight of Passage or Test Track per day. You can not choose both in one day. If anyone gets motion sick or afraid of heights, Flight of Passage may not be for them. Dramamine may help with motion sickness.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Mickey’s Christmas Celebration

I believe that ends in December so it shouldn't be an issue in Feb when he said they were going.

Yes, I edited that. I read Feb but had December on the brain when typing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
We haven't been in years, but I'm pasting a link to a website that helped us tremendously when we did go. A friend of mine, whose family was going 1 to 2 times a year, suggested this site. Maybe it'll help. Have a fantastic trip!

https://www.mousesavers.com/

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

1967Goat, I have the Park Hopper Plus option...will I still need to nail down and reserve which park for which day?

I'm going to look and see what park times are for each park later today; that may help with decisions. I always figured the Magic Kingdom was *the* place to go to...but some advice offered seems good about Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

If you have a Park Hopper, You're good to go between parks every day. Example: Magic Kingdom in AM, Animal Kingdom in afternoon, EPCOT in evening.
If you have the Park Hopper, you can get from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios via a boat ride. At EPCOT the boat stops between the England and France areas, and goes to just outside the gate at Hollywood Studios, with two stops in between at the Boardwalk area, & Swan/Dolphin. Sort of a pleasant way in lieu of buses.

For eats, IMHO, the "Be Our Guest Restaurant" at MK is overrated, average food in a big cafeteria with big dining rooms that are nice, but very noisy.

Epcot's "Restaurant Marrakesh" is a hidden gem-out of the way, rarely busy & good food (rack of lamb is my favorite).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want some excellent filet mignon, check out Le Cellier in Canada. It isn't cheap but oh so good. If you like beer, pair it with Trios Pistals.

For breakfast, the character breakfast at the Grand Floridian is buffet style, but very good. The character breakfast at Obama in the Polynesian is family style, but good as well.

For supper, the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios is most excellent. The price is higher too but it is a great experience. If you go there and your son does not like what is on the menu, ask the wait staff and they will give other options. Also, the Indiana Jones show is something to see while you are there.

While in Epcot, check out all of the countries kiosks to see food and drinks. They are snack sized and can be shared so you can get a little something and keep on going.

Most of the food and drinks are expensive there, but the portions are very fair in size. You can take your own drinks and snacks into the parks also.

If you are an Amazon Prime member you can order groceries, including water, and have them shipped to the Contemporary. Since you are driving though, you can bring groceries from home.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We did out fast passes reasonably early for our top picks. We generally left some time st the start of the day and power walked to a popular one we did not get a fast pass for. Once you use your 3 you can get more one at a time.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do them as soon as possible. Especially dining.

For a snack the monster cinnamon roll st Gastons is my favorite food item in all the parks.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
If you want some excellent filet mignon, check out Le Cellier in Canada. It isn't cheap but oh so good. If you like beer, pair it with Trios Pistals.

For breakfast, the character breakfast at the Grand Floridian is buffet style, but very good. The character breakfast at Obama in the Polynesian is family style, but good as well.

For supper, the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios is most excellent. The price is higher too but it is a great experience. If you go there and your son does not like what is on the menu, ask the wait staff and they will give other options. Also, the Indiana Jones show is something to see while you are there.

While in Epcot, check out all of the countries kiosks to see food and drinks. They are snack sized and can be shared so you can get a little something and keep on going.

Most of the food and drinks are expensive there, but the portions are very fair in size. You can take your own drinks and snacks into the parks also.

If you are an Amazon Prime member you can order groceries, including water, and have them shipped to the Contemporary. Since you are driving though, you can bring groceries from home.

This is in fact true? I already assumed (without checking) that would be a no-no.

posted Hide Post
We took bottled water and bottles of Coke with us. I had my thermos of water, not only clear plastic bottles. We also took Nature Valley bars and fruit with us.

The last trip in October, it was just my wife and I so it isn't just because of having kids.

posted Hide Post
Oh. Budget more than you think for food and drinks. The last time was during the food and wine festival. I knew I was going to eat and drink a lot while we were there. We budgeted $2000 for 5 days for the two of us and used most of it on food. There were some souvenirs purchased with it also, but mostly food. We averaged about 15 miles of walking a day, and I still gained weight! Most days we had a supper reservation and snacked during the day. While at Epcot though, I went from kiosk to kiosk and had a sampling of food. Sooo worth it if you enjoy trying new foods.