SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Omega Seamaster Advice Needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omega Seamaster Advice Needed Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Omegas, I tend to wear them more often than my other watches because they fly under the radar a bit better. One is a SMP Black Bond Chrono in stainless, thick and heavy but surprisingly comfortable because of the bracelet. The other is a 44mm Seamaster America's Cup Racing Chrono in Titanium. It is incredibly light and comfortable for a 44mm watch, so if I were going PO, I'd go large titanium.

They may have redesigned it, but my only complaint about my SMP is the clasp pin fails. Omega does not have a fix, other than to replace the entire clasp for $300. There were a couple of guys who offered repair pins on Ebay for about $20, but I can't find them now. They too fail after a couple years, so I hope I can find them.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Have a PO, 600 m, with orange bezel with steel back, not display back. Metal bracelet. It is big and heavy but I have big hands and wrists. Can sometimes prevent buttoning my shirt sleeve.
Also have a Breitling, 2 Baume and Merciers, a Tag Carrera and a Luminox. PO is accurate, good looking for a sport watch, and is by far my favorite. Had it serviced once at “normal” expensive cost.
BTW, Gibbs on NCIS wears a PO if that means anything

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Congrats on 30 years! I have a 30 year old Speedmaster Professional that has been flawless for all those years. Whatever you decide, you'll get decades of service out of it and be proud to pass it down one day. They're wonderful watches.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean ref 2201.50 that has been daily worn for 12 years. I don't think you can go wrong, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Posts: 16 | Location: NW FL  | Registered: February 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
My understanding of the coaxial movement is that it's a very good idea. A bit more complex to service, but no big deal for a qualified watchmaker.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your retirement! I'm a Rolex guy myself (wearing a James Cameron Deepsea Seadweller now), but just wanted to wish you many great years ahead and hope you enjoy your new status as much as I've enjoyed mine (since 2008)!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. Now it's off to an AD for some first hand examinations.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your semi retirement. The Omega PO is a great watch with the co-axial movement. I would advise to purchase preowned; I've only purchased 1 new watch. In my opinion pre owned Omega anything is one of the smartest move to a chronometre.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
They're both attractive watches, but what puts the 300M GMT over the top is that beautiful bracelet. I will have one in the future, but since my father recently gave me his Rolex Oyster Perpetual (he's smitten with his new iWatch Roll Eyes), I can't bring myself to spend the money on another high-end watch.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me an Omega Seamaster co-axial as a wedding gift 13 years ago, its been a great watch. If I can get my stuff together I am sending to Dave to have crown fixed and a service.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You should be able to get an Authorized dealer to come 20% off of msrp if you try hard enough.

I bought a Aquaterra 5 years ago. The faces have changed since then but it's still my favorite. Almost every store had them marked up around 6k but I found one going for 5 and talked them down to 4.

Watch shopping is like car shopping.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You should be able to get an Authorized dealer to come 20% off of msrp if you try hard enough.

I bought a Aquaterra 5 years ago. The faces have changed since then but it's still my favorite. Almost every store had them marked up around 6k but I found one going for 5 and talked them down to 4.

Watch shopping is like car shopping.

In 2012 I bought a new 40mm Rolex S/S platinum yachtmaster from the large/local Authorized Dealer for 30% off MSRP and they threw in a 2 year extended warranty. So yes, I tend to agree.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Like my Seamaster
Love my Resco Patriot

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I have had my seamaster for about 2 years now. Have nothing bad to say about it and wear it a good bit to work (shy of days when I know it's a warrant sweep day or hands on training).

Mine is the 300m co axial (doesn't have the wave pattern on the face), just good old fashion black and got mine with a bracelet and ordered a few different NATO straps when I want to change it up.

I did buy mine while in St. Thomas. We took a vacation there and I figured if the price was right I would buy it then. Compared to what I would have paid here vs there, the saving were half the price of the vacation. So something to consider as well.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega Aqua Terra and it is fantastic.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have an Omega Aqua Terra and it is fantastic.

Possibly the best GADA watch made.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Seamasters and absolutely love them. The majority of the time I am wearing one or the other on my wrist. To me they just look great and feel "right".

After 30 yrs, you deserve to have what you want. Make the purchase and be happy about it. Definitely reach out to David Truong. He may have one you like in stock.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due in no small part to the info gathered here, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Planet Ocean. So far it's exceeded my expectations, but after wearing an Apple watch for a while it will take a little time to get used to wearing a "real" watch with heft and size.

Now to find someplace to store the crate it came in. I'd forgotten that higher-end watches come packed in luggage.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Did it come in the nice wood box or are they using something different now.
Oh pictures if you can please.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Go to Watchuseek Forum

It is the Sig Forum of the watch world. Nice folks, good information. Only problem: "You will buy a Watch"

I'm only in for 2 so far. Those being from this family business Bernhard Watch Designed in the USA, sometimes assembled in North Carolina.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post