SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Name brand vs generic gasoline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name brand vs generic gasoline Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Thanks to both. I’ve been putting ethanol free in my Tacoma for several years. My mileage increased enough to almost cover the increased cost of the gas. I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level but I’ve always wondered, outside of ethanol, if there are any other differences.

I find frequently that most people rarely understand what an octane rating is much less the value of one.

Unless you using a turbocharger or a high compression engine you don’t require high-octane. It's useful when you need to stop the chances of predetination in the cylinder due to excessive heat from turbo/poor intercoolers and/or high ratio compression which blows before the correct timing aka “knock” (which ain’t the same as run-on).

Most modern cars will dial back/retard timing if you have the wrong fuel for your car re: octane. Many folks think high octane is more powerful, when actually it is less likely to combust (especially under high temps and compression).

In my case I have run 100, 101,108 and 110 octane race gas because my ECU delivers extra fuel to over 20lbs of boost on the K24 twin turbos; even with upgraded intercoolers. Because of this I can run advanced timing too which results in about 550hp. YMMV.

You two are comparing apples and oranges. (I've dealt with both, had a race car 93' Cobra supercharged with 16lbs boost that made 632hp at the rear wheels in the late 90s) and deal with the ethanol free fuel on all of the boats I manage. You're talking about race fuel like VP sells, he's talking about regular gasoline, 90 octane without any ethanol in it. I'm not sure if a Tacoma engine could benefit from 90 octane over 87 when it comes to mileage, but it surely isn't hurting the mileage any.

Ethanol free fuel is usually 90 octane. Not anything but mid grade gasoline you'd find at the pumps prior to 2008. It just has no ethanol in it. It's been proven that 10% ethanol gasoline found at pumps across the country usually nets about a 10% reduction in fuel mileage as well. BUT, also the ethanol is a lot more caustic to the entire fuel system of a vehicle and has a tendency to attract water. (which is why most all of the marina's have recreational 90 no ethanol). On older cars, boats, lawn equipment the E10 fuel found at every gas station will eat right through fuel lines, seals, carberator parts, etc. etc. But the lack of ethanol is most likely to account for the increased mileage.

Jimmy buddy, It is only apples and oranges because I wasn’t referring to anything about ethanol. I only quoted the gentleman before me because he mentioned octane. I was only discussing octane and nothing else. I hope that helps you to understand a little better.

You both are correct, although you are addressing different issues. SIGnified is addressing this statement: "I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level". As he stated, octane has nothing to do with increasing your mileage, unless your engine is retarding the timing due to preignition (knocking). IOW, if your engine doesn't require high octane fuels, then using one will not increase your mileage.

Jimmy123x is pointing out that the higher octane fuel that BB61 is using lacks ethanol. Eliminating the lower energy content fuel (alcohol) and replacing it with 100% gasoline is the source of the increased mileage. It just so happens that the ethanol-free fuel is also higher octane, which is not the source of, but a corollary to, the higher mileage in BB61's vehicle.

The short of it: Octane rating is a measure of the resistance of the fuel to self-combust under pressure. Think of it as the inverse of cetane, which is a measure of a fuel's speed of combustion. Gasoline engines compress an air/fuel mixture, so the resistance of a fuel to combust prematurely is paramount, hence it is rated by octane. Diesels, OTOH, only compress air. They inject fuel at the proper time for combustion, so the speed that it takes for the combustion to achieve pressure is most important. Hence, cetane is the method whereby diesel is rated.

But remember, neither octane nor cetane is a measurement of a fuel's energy content, but different measures of fuel's burn characteristics.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
As per Top Tier's standard a gasoline brand must meet standards across all grades and across their entire foot print. It is sometimes confusing when large retail chains, such as Circle K, do not use one brand of fuel. I have seen "unbranded" Circle K retail locations as well as those that advertise a particular brand of gasoline.

That makes sense. The next question would be is the Mobil fuel Circle K sells same fuel sold at a Mobil station? We also have a Circle K that sells Shell fuels. On the pump it says something about nitrogen molecules. I'm guessing it's the same stuff as at a Shell station.

I've noticed it surges and stumbles on acceleration with most 87 octane gas except Sunoco. It runs fine on every 89 and 93 octane I've used. Ford says it'll run on 87, but not make as much power.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
But remember, neither octane nor cetane is a measurement of a fuel's energy content, but different measures of fuel's burn characteristics.
Not quite true, but close enough. The "octane rating" of gasoline originally referred to the ratio of octane (C8H18) to heptane/septane (C7H16) and those 2 liquid fuels do have slightly different heat content values. At least originally, the octane rating would have had a slight difference in mileage values due to the variation in heat content of the fuel. I'm not sure that is still valid because there are other ways to raise the octane rating of fuel and I don't know how those additives change heat content.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Re: the Circle K question, that is the same fuel as sold at non-CK sites.

I.e., a Circle K/BP site will sell the same additive fuel as a regular BP branded site.

Fun fact: most majors no longer own the vast majority of their branded gas stations. They are privately owned, and pay a fee to use the name and trade dress of a major. They then have to use that major’s fuel + additive, and share margin on that fuel.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I've never heard of "Top Tier" gas, and the nearest ethanol-free station is more than 50 miles away. I just typically use Shell 87 octane and I drive my cars a long time (12 years now on daily driver).
You might not have heard of it, but you're using it. Shell is one of the brands that is Top Tier.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I've never heard of "Top Tier" gas, and the nearest ethanol-free station is more than 50 miles away. I just typically use Shell 87 octane and I drive my cars a long time (12 years now on daily driver).
You might not have heard of it, but you're using it. Shell is one of the brands that is Top Tier.

The Shell by my house is not, or they don't display the logo. I've been looking at a number of gas stations, still yet to see the logo anywhere.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
My main question is this whole discussion is do you get what you paid for? My truck recommends 89, if I fill up with 89, do I truly get 89 or does the occasional 87 find its way in the storage tank???

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
The Shell by my house is not, or they don't display the logo. I've been looking at a number of gas stations, still yet to see the logo anywhere.
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
My main question is this whole discussion is do you get what you paid for? My truck recommends 89, if I fill up with 89, do I truly get 89 or does the occasional 87 find its way in the storage tank???

89 generally as a octane fuel doesn't usually exist. It's a mixture of 87 and 93 octane that is blended at the gas pump at the station generally. That way they only have to have 87 and 93 octane storage tanks, etc.

The storage tank should never find a different octane. They are very good about that, as if you mixed it up the other way you could have some pretty hefty lawsuits. All octane ratings are the MINIMUM octane that can come out of that pump.....so 87 with one brand might actually be 88 octane while another brand measures 87.1 octane. Gasoline in the diesel tank would create millions of dollars in damage. I'm sure it has gotten mixed up once or twice over the years of course...…

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to consult with the petroleum industry in general. At one of our sessions I was in a group of six or seven guys from major fuel suppliers. I had just ordered my another Z06 and asked the group whose fuel would the car be happiest with. Without hesitation, they told me I should rotate amongst all of them as each had a different additive package and no ones package took care of cleaning all contaminates. Exxon’s addressed certain ones, Sonoco’s certain others, Shell’s others etc. other issues such as flame-front speed and mileage will vary also but primary concern was cleaning properties. I have always used top-tier ever since the testing was implemented.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
89 generally as a octane fuel doesn't usually exist. It's a mixture of 87 and 93 octane that is blended at the gas pump at the station generally. That way they only have to have 87 and 93 octane storage tanks, etc.
Some gas stations can do this, but it's newer. For many, many years and still continuing in many places today the 89 is made at the loading rack (50/50 87 & 91 or 67/33 87 & 93). There are two methods of doing this:
  • Sequential blending (aka splash blending). Load the correct amount of 87 into the tanker's compartment and then load the correct amount of 91/93 into the tanker's compartment. The flaw is if you have a rack shutdown you now have a compartment that has to go to slop.
  • In-line blending (aka sidestream blending). The 87 and 91/93 are simultaneously loaded at the correct proportion. The electrical and mechanical components cost more money, but if you get a rack shutdown the compartment has saleable gasoline.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Not quite true, but close enough. The "octane rating" of gasoline originally referred to the ratio of octane (C8H18) to heptane/septane (C7H16) and those 2 liquid fuels do have slightly different heat content values. At least originally, the octane rating would have had a slight difference in mileage values due to the variation in heat content of the fuel. I'm not sure that is still valid because there are other ways to raise the octane rating of fuel and I don't know how those additives change heat content.

flashguy

Close is what I was shooting for, so SCORE! I thought it's been some time since the octane number on a pump meant the ratio of isooctane to heptane. Isn't the C8H18 TO C7H16 ratio now used as the reference standard to compare the blends to, thus obtaining the RON? Otherwise, how could there ever be a rating higher than 100, or 100% isooctane? Knowing the heat content is nearly impossible without knowing what's in it, and it's probably so small a delta that you could never notice a difference in use, outside of a lab. That's why I was trying to keep it simple. Most folks are confused enough. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
    Picture of Angus the Kid
    posted Hide Post
    This is the best explanation of knocking and octane rating that I can find. Very informative.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cokehockey
    posted Hide Post
    I'll just keep buying my 87 octane for my F150 and add some Lucas fuel cleaner every 4-5 tanks. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by BB61:

Thanks to both. I’ve been putting ethanol free in my Tacoma for several years. My mileage increased enough to almost cover the increased cost of the gas. I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level but I’ve always wondered, outside of ethanol, if there are any other differences.

I find frequently that most people rarely understand what an octane rating is much less the value of one.

Unless you using a turbocharger or a high compression engine you don’t require high-octane. It's useful when you need to stop the chances of predetination in the cylinder due to excessive heat from turbo/poor intercoolers and/or high ratio compression which blows before the correct timing aka “knock” (which ain’t the same as run-on).

Most modern cars will dial back/retard timing if you have the wrong fuel for your car re: octane. Many folks think high octane is more powerful, when actually it is less likely to combust (especially under high temps and compression).

In my case I have run 100, 101,108 and 110 octane race gas because my ECU delivers extra fuel to over 20lbs of boost on the K24 twin turbos; even with upgraded intercoolers. Because of this I can run advanced timing too which results in about 550hp. YMMV.

You two are comparing apples and oranges. (I've dealt with both, had a race car 93' Cobra supercharged with 16lbs boost that made 632hp at the rear wheels in the late 90s) and deal with the ethanol free fuel on all of the boats I manage. You're talking about race fuel like VP sells, he's talking about regular gasoline, 90 octane without any ethanol in it. I'm not sure if a Tacoma engine could benefit from 90 octane over 87 when it comes to mileage, but it surely isn't hurting the mileage any.

Ethanol free fuel is usually 90 octane. Not anything but mid grade gasoline you'd find at the pumps prior to 2008. It just has no ethanol in it. It's been proven that 10% ethanol gasoline found at pumps across the country usually nets about a 10% reduction in fuel mileage as well. BUT, also the ethanol is a lot more caustic to the entire fuel system of a vehicle and has a tendency to attract water. (which is why most all of the marina's have recreational 90 no ethanol). On older cars, boats, lawn equipment the E10 fuel found at every gas station will eat right through fuel lines, seals, carberator parts, etc. etc. But the lack of ethanol is most likely to account for the increased mileage.

Jimmy buddy, It is only apples and oranges because I wasn’t referring to anything about ethanol. I only quoted the gentleman before me because he mentioned octane. I was only discussing octane and nothing else. I hope that helps you to understand a little better.

You both are correct, although you are addressing different issues. SIGnified is addressing this statement: "I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level". As he stated, octane has nothing to do with increasing your mileage, unless your engine is retarding the timing due to preignition (knocking). IOW, if your engine doesn't require high octane fuels, then using one will not increase your mileage.

Jimmy123x is pointing out that the higher octane fuel that BB61 is using lacks ethanol. Eliminating the lower energy content fuel (alcohol) and replacing it with 100% gasoline is the source of the increased mileage. It just so happens that the ethanol-free fuel is also higher octane, which is not the source of, but a corollary to, the higher mileage in BB61's vehicle.

The short of it: Octane rating is a measure of the resistance of the fuel to self-combust under pressure. Think of it as the inverse of cetane, which is a measure of a fuel's speed of combustion. Gasoline engines compress an air/fuel mixture, so the resistance of a fuel to combust prematurely is paramount, hence it is rated by octane. Diesels, OTOH, only compress air. They inject fuel at the proper time for combustion, so the speed that it takes for the combustion to achieve pressure is most important. Hence, cetane is the method whereby diesel is rated.

Fascinating. I've learned a lot in this thread.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post