SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Name brand vs generic gasoline
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name brand vs generic gasoline Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
This is the first I've ever heard of the 'top tier' branding of fuel. A quick google reveals it's a license created by the auto manufacturers. Sounds like a good way for them to extract money from an area they don't get much control over.

I'm guess everyone in here who only uses 'top tier' branded gas, also drink expensive bottled water only that exceeds federal standards for tap water...

I buy whatever is convenient. I pay no attention to branding as long as it isn't a crap hole. I pay marginal amounts of attention to price since most places here are all withing 5 cents of each other and I'm not driving out of my way to save 45 cents...

Oh boy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guess everyone in here who only uses 'top tier' branded gas, also drink expensive bottled water only that exceeds federal standards for tap water...
Sorry I was delayed in my response but my cat's Perrier bowl was empty Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
This tread is very informative and comedy gold....a rare combination Big Grin

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Is there the same difference in quality between top tier and the other stations when you are talking about ethanol free gasoline? For instance, Maverik ethnaol free vs. Top Tier brand “X” ethanol free?
I am not sure that TopTier's take is on it but every where I have seen ethanol free gasoline there has been a disclaimer, i.e. "not a Shell product" etc. TopTier does require every grade a gasoline to meet its standard in order to qualify as TopTier. So I guess the brands/station argument is every grade does meet standard, and ethanol free is not a grade, which is true, but another product. But ethanol as a fuel additive is a separate issue, which has been covered in numerous past threads.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:
Is there the same difference in quality between top tier and the other stations when you are talking about ethanol free gasoline? For instance, Maverik ethnaol free vs. Top Tier brand “X” ethanol free?
I am not sure that TopTier's take is on it but every where I have seen ethanol free gasoline there has been a disclaimer, i.e. "not a Shell product" etc. TopTier does require every grade a gasoline to meet its standard in order to qualify as TopTier. So I guess the brands/station argument is every grade does meet standard, and ethanol free is not a grade, which is true, but another product. But ethanol as a fuel additive is a separate issue, which has been covered in numerous past threads.

Ethanol free also called recreational 90, isn't necessarily meant for the automotive market. It's sold as fuel for off road equipment, boats, atv's, lawn equipment, etc. So I don't know if it has or needs the top tier stuff in it, as it also doesn't have to contend with ethanol in it either. But this is probably the reason it doesn't have the "top tier" additives in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have 300,000 miles on my truck using nothing but the cheapest garbage I could feed it.

I got a whopping 160,000 on my Dodge truck before the rings and valves gave out using nothing but Chevron fuel.

All I see from "top tier" is something in it to destroy your engine so you have to buy another car.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:

Ethanol free also called recreational 90, isn't necessarily meant for the automotive market. It's sold as fuel for off road equipment, boats, atv's, lawn equipment, etc. So I don't know if it has or needs the top tier stuff in it, as it also doesn't have to contend with ethanol in it either. But this is probably the reason it doesn't have the "top tier" additives in it.

Thanks to both. I’ve been putting ethanol free in my Tacoma for several years. My mileage increased enough to almost cover the increased cost of the gas. I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level but I’ve always wondered, outside of ethanol, if there are any other differences.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well as long as it has an acceptable amount of lead....

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Well as long as it has an acceptable amount of lead....

They outlawed it years ago. You have to go to atozone and buy the lead additives. You can however get free leaded water in Flint Michigan, but I've found its easier just to buy the additives than to haul all those 5 gallon jugs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Collectively, I have put over 400,000 miles on several fuel-injected cars and trucks, some with top tier gas, most of it not, all E10, never any additives, and have yet to have a problem.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Collectively, I have put over 400,000 miles on several fuel-injected cars and trucks, some with top tier gas, most of it not, all E10, never any additives, and have yet to have a problem.

I call BS, he's a mechanic. He's just trying to sell you new injectors and a BG44 treatment. Don't trust him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I see from "top tier" is something in it to destroy your engine so you have to buy another car.

NOW we're getting going!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks to both. I’ve been putting ethanol free in my Tacoma for several years. My mileage increased enough to almost cover the increased cost of the gas. I’m sure part of the increased mileage is it has a higher octane level but I’ve always wondered, outside of ethanol, if there are any other differences.

I find frequently that most people rarely understand what an octane rating is much less the value of one.

Unless you using a turbocharger or a high compression engine you don’t require high-octane. It's useful when you need to stop the chances of predetination in the cylinder due to excessive heat from turbo/poor intercoolers and/or high ratio compression which blows before the correct timing aka “knock” (which ain’t the same as run-on).

Most modern cars will dial back/retard timing if you have the wrong fuel for your car re: octane. Many folks think high octane is more powerful, when actually it is less likely to combust (especially under high temps and compression).

In my case I have run 100, 101,108 and 110 octane race gas because my ECU delivers extra fuel to over 20lbs of boost on the K24 twin turbos; even with upgraded intercoolers. Because of this I can run advanced timing too which results in about 550hp. YMMV.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

I find frequently that most people rarely understand what an octane rating is much less the value of one.

Unless you using a turbocharger or a high compression engine you don’t require high-octane. It's useful when you need to stop the chances of predetination in the cylinder due to excessive heat from turbo/poor intercoolers and/or high ratio compression which blows before the correct timing aka “knock” (which ain’t the same as run-on).

Most modern cars will dial back/retard timing if you have the wrong fuel for your car re: octane. Many folks think high octane is more powerful, when actually it is less likely to combust (especially under high temps and compression).

In my case I have run 100, 101,108 and 110 octane race gas because my ECU delivers extra fuel to over 20lbs of boost on the K24 twin turbos; even with upgraded intercoolers. Because of this I can run advanced timing too which results in about 550hp. YMMV.

You two are comparing apples and oranges. (I've dealt with both, had a race car 93' Cobra supercharged with 16lbs boost that made 632hp at the rear wheels in the late 90s) and deal with the ethanol free fuel on all of the boats I manage. You're talking about race fuel like VP sells, he's talking about regular gasoline, 90 octane without any ethanol in it. I'm not sure if a Tacoma engine could benefit from 90 octane over 87 when it comes to mileage, but it surely isn't hurting the mileage any.

Ethanol free fuel is usually 90 octane. Not anything but mid grade gasoline you'd find at the pumps prior to 2008. It just has no ethanol in it. It's been proven that 10% ethanol gasoline found at pumps across the country usually nets about a 10% reduction in fuel mileage as well. BUT, also the ethanol is a lot more caustic to the entire fuel system of a vehicle and has a tendency to attract water. (which is why most all of the marina's have recreational 90 no ethanol). On older cars, boats, lawn equipment the E10 fuel found at every gas station will eat right through fuel lines, seals, carberator parts, etc. etc. But the lack of ethanol is most likely to account for the increased mileage.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Looking for ethanol free gas, there is only 1 station in my state that sells it. It is about 35 miles from my home, Sunoco and 110 octane.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have yet to find a single pump in my area displaying the top tier logo. I've downloaded the AAA app which is supposed to tell which stations sell it, but none of stations it shows display the logo. The results the app gives appear to be based solely wether or not the brand is in the top tier list. None of the three Circle Ks I pass are listed as top tier by the app despite the fact they sell Mobile Products. The app just lists them as Circle K.

Would all Mobil or Shell gas sold nationwide be top tier? Displaying the logo seems to be a requirement of top tier, so maybe the fuel being sold by Shell, Mobil, and Marathon in my area isn't the same in other areas?

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I suspect they are all top tier if the website say so. The station manager just didn't put the stinkers on the pumps or covered them up with the latest promotional sticker.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

You two are comparing apples and oranges. (I've dealt with both, had a race car 93' Cobra supercharged with 16lbs boost that made 632hp at the rear wheels in the late 90s) and deal with the ethanol free fuel on all of the boats I manage. You're talking about race fuel like VP sells, he's talking about regular gasoline, 90 octane without any ethanol in it. I'm not sure if a Tacoma engine could benefit from 90 octane over 87 when it comes to mileage, but it surely isn't hurting the mileage any.

Ethanol free fuel is usually 90 octane. Not anything but mid grade gasoline you'd find at the pumps prior to 2008. It just has no ethanol in it. It's been proven that 10% ethanol gasoline found at pumps across the country usually nets about a 10% reduction in fuel mileage as well. BUT, also the ethanol is a lot more caustic to the entire fuel system of a vehicle and has a tendency to attract water. (which is why most all of the marina's have recreational 90 no ethanol). On older cars, boats, lawn equipment the E10 fuel found at every gas station will eat right through fuel lines, seals, carberator parts, etc. etc. But the lack of ethanol is most likely to account for the increased mileage.

Jimmy buddy, It is only apples and oranges because I wasn’t referring to anything about ethanol. I only quoted the gentleman before me because he mentioned octane. I was only discussing octane and nothing else. I hope that helps you to understand a little better.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I have yet to find a single pump in my area displaying the top tier logo. I've downloaded the AAA app which is supposed to tell which stations sell it, but none of stations it shows display the logo. The results the app gives appear to be based solely wether or not the brand is in the top tier list. None of the three Circle Ks I pass are listed as top tier by the app despite the fact they sell Mobile Products. The app just lists them as Circle K.

Would all Mobil or Shell gas sold nationwide be top tier? Displaying the logo seems to be a requirement of top tier, so maybe the fuel being sold by Shell, Mobil, and Marathon in my area isn't the same in other areas?

As per Top Tier's standard a gasoline brand must meet standards across all grades and across their entire foot print. It is sometimes confusing when large retail chains, such as Circle K, do not use one brand of fuel. I have seen "unbranded" Circle K retail locations as well as those that advertise a particular brand of gasoline.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of "Top Tier" gas, and the nearest ethanol-free station is more than 50 miles away. I just typically use Shell 87 octane and I drive my cars a long time (12 years now on daily driver).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post