SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Antivirus are you using?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Antivirus are you using? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have been using Avast for years but it seems they have added something called behavior shield and it is constantly using 25-40% of my CPU usage according to the task manager.
I also googled it and a lot of folks are complaining about the CPU usage.
Looks like the update added about the time I started running Blue Iris IP camera software so I just chalked it up to Blue Iris.
But was doing some work and was lagging big time.
Shut down Blue Iris and the lag continued.
Opened up task manager and saw Avast Behavior Shield burning it up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
forticlient av

Run it on my work laptop and surface.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Bitdefender for a couple or three years now. Works great so far and is not a resource hog. Started sing on some of our work laptops lately as well.

Give it a look and see what you think.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 yrs on free versions of Avast A/V,
CCleaner and Malwarebytes. The free version of AVG was also good, but I stayed with AVAST.

Guessing the free version doesn't have the behavior add on....not a resource hog either.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGlord
posted Hide Post
I have been using ESET NOD32 for the past couple of years.

Posts: 405 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for years. It's been OK. I now only have it running on a few servers and am using ITBrain, which integrates with Teamviewer, for about 20 PCs. It's presented about 10 false positives over the last year. The main thing I like about it is that I can see the status of each PC while I'm logged into Teamviewer, which I do most every day.

I also run Malwarebytes (paid version) on some of the PCs, originally alongside SEP, and now alongside ITBrain.

I run McAfee on a handful of machines, too, as it was free as part of my AT&T Uverse subscription. It hasn't caused any problems. it runs alongside Malwarebytes on a PC or two.

Of everything, Malwayrebytes has been the best at finding legit threats, with minimal false positives.

So, my suggestion would be to see if your internet provider offers a free AV, and buy Malwarebytes if you want to be especially safe.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
MalwareBytes

^^ This one ^^

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
I have been using Bitdefender for a couple or three years now.

Me too.
Not thrilled that the last couple of versions don't have the modules that 2014-15 did without upgrading to a higher priced version but it seems to work OK now that the bug is fixed.
(Win 7 and AV Plus 2018 didn't play nice together at first)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Spy Hunter, from Enigma Software: LINK

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
--Comodo Internal Security Premium 10 (firewall & anti-virus)
--Malwarebytes (anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I've been using microsoft security essentials for the last 4 years. Not a resource pig and so far has worked well for me.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A program called Security Suite comes with my Spectrum (fka Charter) service.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Mac, reasonably good surfing habits and I don't bring mail to my computer (webmail vs. local client).

I realize and agree that Macs are not immune to all malware. But in my experience, AV has been nothing but problematic on the Mac and malware is much less a risk than on PC.

That said, I'll probably take another swing at something soon. As typing this makes me feel like I'm flipping the middle finger to fate. hehe

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
3 yrs on free versions of Avast A/V,
CCleaner and Malwarebytes. The free version of AVG was also good, but I stayed with AVAST.

Guessing the free version doesn't have the behavior add on....not a resource hog either.

Exactly what I use. Very satisfied.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've used most free ones over the years. With my 1-year old Windows 10 machine I just use Windows Defender that came with it, and run CCCleaner about once a week.

This is my source when I'm looking for free software: https://www.techsupportalert.com/

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have been using Symantec end point protection and Malwarebytes for many years and have not had any issues.

I also try to be intelligent about our on-line behavior, opening unknown e-mails, clicking on links or suspect websites. As my son once proved, no matter how good your A/V is, when you click on the virus and tell your system to download it you are going to be screwed.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
W10. I use Windows Defender and Immunet which I scan with weekly. Immunet seems to play nice with Windows Defender.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows 10. I use both Bitdefender and Windows Defender, with periodic use of Malwarebytes and CCleaner (free versions). So far, so good...*knocks on wood*

Also, I only use web-based e-mail and never open attachments from unknown senders.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I switched from Norton to Webroot about 4 years ago. Newegg puts it on sale every fall and I load it on both my PC and Macbook. It seems to work just fine for a reasonable price.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Linux Mint.

Not too many viruses out there for Linux... Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post