SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Incredible shot from Indy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incredible shot from Indy Login/Join 
posted
http://sports.usatoday.com/201...sh-indianapolis-500/

They must be making cars safer, I cannot believe how he walked away from this crash.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That was amazing. I thought for sure Dixon was toast and seeing him get out of the car and walking away just blew my mind.

Great race. I was kinda rooting for Alonso. He gave it good shot. I hope he comes back to give it another try.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Dude's having a bad week. He was robbed at gunpoint just the other day.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe they both walked away from their cars.

A friend of mine was there. He was standing at the wall/fence in turn two and saw accident. Sent me a pic of the aftermath. Didn't get any shoots of the crash.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
From the article, and I quote "Dixon’s car was destroyed."

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Here' video:

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/st...741607391233/video/1

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Amazingly he wasn't killed. His car hit that rail in a good spot.

Seems many Honda engines showed up for the race but failed to finish. Just a wee bit of reliability issues.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was very lucky because the way his car landed on that wall, had it hit it all the way upside down it looked like the cockpit with him in it would have came down on the wall.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a plane crash. Man oh man.

It wasn't that long ago that such an event would have resulted in a dead driver. Car safety has come such a long way.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Bah. 20 years ago (1996) I was at the race, sitting 9 rows up on the inside of pit row. That famous last lap crash because of the spilled fuel in the pits debacle? I have 35mm photos of that one. Everyone walked away from that iirc.

And during practice that year, drianan (sp?) wrecked REAL good. Got a broken hip out of it if memory serves, but still raced after getting patched up.

Point is, they've been safe for a long while, and you have to be exceedingly unlucky to not survive these days.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The soft walls also help.

Amazing, he walked away, but I bet he'll have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Go to 2:50 for Dixon's view.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, safer cars and all that - but a good amount of luck as well. Do it again tomorrow and he could easily be dead.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Advances in Safety technology saved both drivers. 10 years ago that would have been a serious injury incident, 20 years ago perhaps fatal.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
The soft walls also help.

Amazing, he walked away, but I bet he'll have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning!

He had to go back to the Medical Center for a walking boot because his ankle hurt. He'll be sore tomorrow, but that's it.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

And during practice that year, drianan (sp?) wrecked REAL good. Got a broken hip out of it if memory serves, but still raced after getting patched up.

Point is, they've been safe for a long while, and you have to be exceedingly unlucky to not survive these days.

Scott Brayton was killed during practice that year, and he was one of the professionals racing against the IRL jobbers while the real pros were at Michigan. And let's not forget, Jeff Krosnoff (Toronto 1996), Gonzalo Rodriguez (Laguna Seca 1999), Greg Moore (California 1999), Tony Renna (Indy 2003 tire test), Paul Dana (Homestead 2006) and Dan Wheldon (Las Vegas 2011).

Rodriguez was unlucky because his throttle stuck on his Penske going into his corkscrew, but everyone one else didn't run out of luck. Justin Wilson was unlucky dying in a similar way to Ayrton Senna (debris hitting him in his head at Pocono 2015).

The others didn't run out of luck. They got into crashes that their equipment couldn't save them from, and that's a lot of dead racers not to long ago. Things sure have been SO safe for quite a while now. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, safer cars and all that - but a good amount of luck as well. Do it again tomorrow and he could easily be dead.

Totally agree. That could have been fatal but for a boat load of luck. 10 years ago that was fatal no matter how much luck was involved.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did he fly over a hundred feet ? or under a hundred feet , distance wise

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
did he fly over a hundred feet ? or under a hundred feet , distance wise

Probably several hundred feet of hang time.
If he had hit the inside wall cockpit down instead of on the side, it would have been all over.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post