SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Locking kayaks to your SUV rack?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locking kayaks to your SUV rack? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
What do you guys use to lock kayaks to your SUV roof rack? I'm looking for some recommendations to lock 2 sit on top Tarpon 120 kayaks to the rack.

I found this but not sure if this is good or if there is something better. Yea, I know it's easily overcome. Just want to slow them down; require them to carry some cutting tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony...Q3NHDY6TW&th=1&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Mine are still in storage, so I can't get a picture, but I just riveted a small "U" hook on each kayak and run a pistol lock through it to my side rail.

I don't leave them on very long though, this is if I'm taking them to a camp site or similar. I also bring a few chain bike locks and can tie everything up together if needed.

Not the most secure, but will generally keep people from making a quick getaway with them (easily 80% of these theft situations).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. I'm guessing that kayak makers don't explicitly build in anything into the kayak design to enable it to be locked down, at least minimally? Haven't come across anything to suggest so.

I'm just wondering what to do when I take kayaks on a trip and park at the hotel; I don't want to be hauling 13' kayaks x2 up to the room. And also guess places where I might go mountain biking for a few hours or the day w/ the kayaks on top.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I bought a super-long bike cable lock (30' if memory serves), and wrap the kayaks with it as many times as possible and lock it to the rack.

They are also on top of my lifted Jeep. So I think it's not so much security as much as it might be a pain in the butt to steal.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My kayak came with a reinforced steel cable loop that I can run a lock through. It wouldn't keep the kayak safe if someone really wanted to steal it, but it would slow them down for sure. If your kayak doesn't come with something like that, it would be easy to add.

quote:
I'm just wondering what to do when I take kayaks on a trip and park at the hotel; I don't want to be hauling 13' kayaks x2 up to the room. And also guess places where I might go mountain biking for a few hours or the day w/ the kayaks on top.

I understand not wanting do carry them up, but there is no way I would leave anything I cared about on top of the vehicle at any hotel in the country. Around here, the thieves frequently steal entire vehicles from hotels. They are brazen.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I use Lasso kayak locks for mine. They work great for me.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 70 y.o. lady across the hall, found a tiny enclosed trailer for her four kayaks.

She pulls it w/ her toyota mini van.

she wanders far and wide with bikes, kayaks, golf bags, metal detecting stuff, camp gear.

when she wants to , she takes the boats out and puts them on the car rack , to hop down to the lake or river.

but while traveling, they are out of sight and out of mind , safe and secure in the windowless trailer.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about a trailer but I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. But if I knew my kayaks were going to get stolen, I'd go trailer.

My hope is that just locking down a bit will discourage the theft.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

good luck with that
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Based on photos, the kayak has scupper holes. I have a couple of sit on kayaks with scupper holes and use bicycle cable locks to secure them to the rack by running the cable through the scupper holes. The rack needs to be bolted or locked to the vehicle. Note: the lock doesn't replace tie down ropes, it augments them.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post