SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career change, thy name is vulrath
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career change, thy name is vulrath Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
My relatively cushy job as a staff real estate photographer is about to come to an end. I'm pretty much done as of the end of the month, and after that I get an extra 2 weeks of payout because I've got unused vacation time. That's it - "Thanks for that decade of your life, have a nice day." I don't hold any grudges - there just isn't enough work to keep me full time. They do want me to do advertising photos for them on a by-the-job basis.

So, moving forward I've applied for (and interviewed for) a job at Gibson (Guitars, not Donuts) gluing binding onto guitars. That might be a fun little detour for a while, especially since I've got 2-3 friends who already work there.

I've also put in my paperwork to take the exam to try for an electrician's apprenticeship. I think that's the opportunity that I most want to pursue.

Things are a-changin'.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Electricians make good money, as I understand.

My wife does the books for a HVAC company. Several of the techs putting in heating/air make $100,000 a year.

There is certainly money in the trades. You earn it, but the money is there.

I wish you the best of luck. Uncertainties can tie up a man's stomach.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
10 years is bucking the trend. Most I've done has been 8 years and it's not like I was really looking to move on elsewhere.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine is an inside wireman and he does pretty well for himself.

The electrician thing is going to happen no matter what else happens. The only question is whether it happens immediately or i do something else for a few years first.

I don't really like change all that much.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Get with a company that will sponsor you in an apprentice program. With the skilled labor shortage, you should find a job easily.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I make a decent living doing it, not great, not even really good. I'm going to get out of the electrical field because I'm maxed out on room for additional pay.

It's not easy work by any stretch of the imagination, but.at least for me I do the easiest part. All I do primarily is fix things, service work. These positions are saved for the creme of the crop though and takes many years to acquire the wide range of knowledge to do it.

For income purposes as well as cheap/free school the best bet is a union job. I think the scale pay for a licensed electrician is about $46.00 per hour. The downside is there may or may not be work available and they give work out based on tenure. If there is no work, the union pays like $400 per week stipend. In booming economy this is the way to go, when things are slow you don't work.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid growing up, my family & I lived in 10 different houses before I was out of high school. My dad was one of the most honest, dependable, always-on-time person you’d ever hope to meet. The older I got, and particularly once I started paying a mortgage, the more I have grown to love, respect, and appreciate him as a father, provider, and role model. Career type positions in the workplace today are not common. Unfortunately, I think your job situation is the norm. Love your God, your wife & kids, (if you are so blessed), and your close friends. Keep the important things in view at all times. Truly sir, I wish you the best.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the transition!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I'm in the real estate business here in S Florida, I am sure there are plenty of folks who would love your experience down here. If you like what you do might be worth considering a move, we have PLENTY of work down here.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
My relatively cushy job as a staff real estate photographer is about to come to an end. I'm pretty much done as of the end of the month, and after that I get an extra 2 weeks of payout because I've got unused vacation time. That's it - "Thanks for that decade of your life, have a nice day." I don't hold any grudges - there just isn't enough work to keep me full time. They do want me to do advertising photos for them on a by-the-job basis.

So, moving forward I've applied for (and interviewed for) a job at Gibson (Guitars, not Donuts) gluing binding onto guitars. That might be a fun little detour for a while, especially since I've got 2-3 friends who already work there.

I've also put in my paperwork to take the exam to try for an electrician's apprenticeship. I think that's the opportunity that I most want to pursue.

Things are a-changin'.

Have you considered staying in the photography field? Perhaps portrait photography or wedding photography? I know wedding photographers can make very good money but it also comes with a lot of BS.

Be careful with Gibson guitars. At the rate they're going at, that company won't last. I wouldn't get too comfortable there.

We have a shortage of skilled trades down here in central Florida. Most guys are just a body. New home building is going crazy here. Just being able to speak English and being on time would put you ahead of many here...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never forget our most stable employers in Memphis are FedEx, St. Jude, AutoZone and Servicemaster. Servicemaster just moved their headquarters downtown and of course AutoZone headquarters and St Jude are down here as well.
Gibson is shaky at best I don't see them here much longer.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Since you have that background in real estate photography, ever think about getting into drone photography/video?

My buddy has a business like this a makes a nice living taking drone footage for real estate and other things.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email, call me tonight if you want some guidance on what to expect if you decide to go the electrical route.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the Electrical Apprenticeship.

If you are talking about the IBEW test, well around here, it serves as a money maker for them mostly.
They charge you to take the test and at least around here, they usually know who they are taking in advance. It is usually a friend or relative of one of the union reps.

I took the test once and I went back and asked how I scored. They were mad that I even asked and then they acted liked they looked and told me I flunked it. B.S. I know I did really well.

I knew a few IBEW guys and they told me what was going on. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
I already had a degree in Electronics and did well in school for that too.
I ended up getting on the apprenticeship at the factory where I worked. 700 people took the test for that. About 50 made the list for all the different trades.

Later in life my niece married a guy who was in the IBEW he tried to get his BIL in and the same thing happened and he was irate.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I can identify. I made my living with a camera for over 20 years. However, the local market changed and it was tough to make a decent living any more, despite doing *more* work.

In the '90s, freelance photographers made good money. The advent of everybody-has-a-DSLR-which-means-they-are-a-photographer took that away, at least where I live. Hard to compete with somebody's cousin who will do it for $50.

Today, video is where the money is for freelancers.

So, I changed the field I work in. Media/communications is 1/3 of my full-time job now, but I still do freelance work on the side (video, design, aerial/drone video). Guess what? I'm doing more creative work now than when I had the full-time position of Creative Director for a communications company!

So, hang in there and find where you are needed. Keep doing photo work on the side, using the reputation you've already built up in the area. It just might work out to be a better situation than what you have now.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes. Skins, I replied to your email. I really appreciate the insight.

I'm not putting all my eggs in the Gibson basket long-term, for sure. Everyone I spoke to in my interviews seems to think (outwardly at least) that the company's going to pull through, but ultimately only time will tell. In fact, the Ch11 bankruptcy is part of the reason why I got the interview - folks apparently left en masse when they announced it.

Around here the test doesn't appear to have a fee, or at least they didn't charge me when I registered for it. I am looking at the union program. I know a couple of guys that went through it, and they seem to be doing alright for themselves.

I've got no significant other and no children, so as long as I can keep the bills paid, put something in the savings account, and have some left over for my hobbies I'm happy.

I actually started off as a member of that "everybody with a camera." Razz I'm definitely going to keep doing real estate on the side. I really don't have much interest in doing anything else, with the possible exception of architectural. I've got a couple of agents that swear by me, and I'd hate to disappoint them. However, most of the rest of my camera bag is probably going to get sold.

I've actually turned down wedding jobs because of the baggage that typically that comes with the territory. I just don't have the kind of personality necessary to put up with the BS.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You should get a charge out of a new career,
I'd be shocked if you didn't do well,
You should be amp'd up about the opportunity,
Hopefully you're wired for this kind of work,
It might just be the spark you need,

ok ok ok.. I'll terminate this, perhaps I'll put a plug in it,,,,,

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Keep moving forward.

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
You should get a charge out of a new career,
I'd be shocked if you didn't do well,
You should be amp'd up about the opportunity,
Hopefully you're wired for this kind of work,
It might just be the spark you need,

ok ok ok.. I'll terminate this, perhaps I'll put a plug in it,,,,,

Thanks for the much needed laugh. Big Grin

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

I actually started off as a member of that "everybody with a camera." Razz

Touche'.

However, your continued success at real estate photography shows that you actually possess talent and ambition. Unlike all the cousins/friends/whatnot with DSLRs. Big Grin

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post