SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sign language interpreter used gibberish, warned of bears, monsters during Hurricane Irma update 73
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sign language interpreter used gibberish, warned of bears, monsters during Hurricane Irma update 73 Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Bears are bad to steal pizza, so I appreciated the warning.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
How do you sign "Gatornado?"

Spin around once while doing the Gator Chomp, then click your heals three times?

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhUaL4LTkU8

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How the hell did he think he was going to get away with that?

It wasn't him trying to get away with it. It was his bosses.

quote:
He may have just been pressed into service.

But it's so easy to just accuse the guy of trying to pull one over on everybody! Wink

http://wfla.com/2017/09/13/dea...ma-press-conference/

quote:
The Emergency Operations Center in Manatee County was up and running, ready to announce crucial information.

But, they were missing a very important person at the presser.

County leaders told WFLA that they were, “in a pinch,” and needed an interpreter for the deaf. So they called on a county employee, a man named Marshall Greene who works as a member of the marine rescue unit in the county as a lifeguard. His bosses knew he had an understanding of sign language to communicate with a deaf older brother. So the employee was asked to step in and convey the information on evacuation order.

I saw comments in a news article made by a person who knew the signer. They stated that he didn't really want to do it, knew he wasn't able due to his limited previous usage, but the bosses pressured him to do it.

So there you have it. It wasn't some whack job attempting to get his 5 minutes of fame. It was a typical government bureaucrat making bad decisions.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Since CC is available to anyone watching this on tv, I think it's hilarious.

It's simple, hurricane coming. If you live near water, low lying area, have medical issues, or live in a trailer, evacuate or go to shelter. If not, buy a lot of water, pop tarts, and Vienna sausage and bunker down.

The killer storm hype caused a lot of people to evacuate that never should have.
The highway system can't handle a mass evacuation of the Florida peninsula.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
So there you have it. It wasn't some whack job attempting to get his 5 minutes of fame. It was a typical government bureaucrat making bad decisions.

Assumptions. Always assumptions. At least this sort of thing identifies the people who shouldn’t ever become detectives—or serve on juries.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
American Sign Language is by statute the official sign language for the state of Florida. There are certification requirements for ASL interpreters in the law as well, and there is a state advisory council for matters related to the deaf and hearing impaired, which reports to the department of health. There are other sign languages that are used that may not make sense to someone fluent in ASL. That appears to be where the breakdown was here. Florida law requires sign interpreters for legal proceedings which extends to law enforcement agencies. I think as a matter of policy interpreters would be provided during times of emergency-that certainly is the case whenever the Governor is making announcements.

As a point of interest ASL is the fourth most used language in the U.S. and Canada.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
As a point of interest ASL is the fourth most used language in the U.S. and Canada.

I can guess the first and second, but what is the third?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

French?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

French?

I'm guessing Cantonese or Mandarin.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Ebonics.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post