SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sign language interpreter used gibberish, warned of bears, monsters during Hurricane Irma update 73
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sign language interpreter used gibberish, warned of bears, monsters during Hurricane Irma update 73 Login/Join 
posted
This sort of thing deserves harsh punishment. I am not hearing impaired, but on occasion will read the Closed Captioning which is often computer generated, and gibberish. I would hope that there is some serious push back from the Deaf Community.

LINK:
http://www.al.com/news/index.s...edium=default-widget

Officials in Manatee County, Florida are under fire after an interpreter for the deaf warned about pizza and monsters during an emergency briefing related to Hurricane Irma.

The interpreter, Marshall Greene, is a lifeguard for the county whose brother is deaf, according to the DailyMoth, a video news site that provides information via American Sign Language. Greene was used as the interpreter for a Sept. 8 press conference regarding the incoming storm and possible evacuations.

Members of the deaf community said Greene mostly signed gibberish, referencing "pizza," "monsters," and using the phrase "help you at that time to use bear big," during the event. Other information signed to viewers was incomplete, experts said.

The county typically uses interpreters from VisCom, a professional sign language interpreting service. VisCom owner Charlene McCarthy told local media she was not contacted about providing services for the press conference and that Greene was apparently not fluent in American Sign Language.

Manatee County spokesperson Nick Azzara told the Brandenton Herald Greene was asked to interpret during the update rather than have no one signing. The county has requested an interpreter and public information assistance from the state, Azzara said.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The interpreter wasn't by chance this guy, was it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I watched a few of those news conferences (it was hard not to as they were on about once an hour for a week straight) and couldn't help but think something was fishy with those interpreters. I don't know sign language, but the goofy and animated ways they were "interpreting" just seemed way off base to me.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think I saw that dude. I remember watching one of the broadcasts and thinking that the signing looked rather crazy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
maybe his sign language just has an accent, or it was like sign ebonics

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the exaggerated facial expressions and animated nature are very normal for sign language, there's no way to add emphasis like a normal speaker would except this way.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I watched a few of those news conferences (it was hard not to as they were on about once an hour for a week straight) and couldn't help but think something was fishy with those interpreters. I don't know sign language, but the goofy and animated ways they were "interpreting" just seemed way off base to me.

I thought the same thing.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know sign language, but the goofy and animated ways they were "interpreting" just seemed way off base to me.

^^^yes, that's what I was thinking at the time too.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Hell of a hurricane, bears, monsters AND pizza.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
one thing different I've seen from other signers is that those people didn't have to look at the speaker in order to sign.

He may have just been pressed into service. Those professional signers/interpreters get paid big bucks.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I was cracking up at another signer from another Florida local government news conference before Irma hit, who was overly animated and making goofy faces.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
She may not have been fluent in sign, but she self identified as fluent so it's all good.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Good. Shame on the people who thought they should use one in the first place. I hope they're embarrassed. More feel good, "inclusive" liberal bullshit. No need for it. Who was this for? All the many deaf people at the press conference?

Anyone who saw it on Tv was already watching TV (with closed captioning and without anyone signing)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
How the hell did he think he was going to get away with that?

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found an interesting tidbit on why the sign interpreters are so animated. LINK:

https://www.theatlantic.com/he...-so-animated/264459/

Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not. Typically we see ASL, but there are (at least) 2 other types that are acceptable as well. Bunches of people think signing is all in the hands and it just isn't. Tons of body language and facial expression get thrown in there if you are signing it correctly...even down to mouth movement, puffing cheeks, lip pursing, etc.

ASL is more complicated than most people think. I have a Deaf friend and it's crazy how developed her other senses are. She can read lips like nobody's business too. I took a few years of it in college and I can tell you once you hit zone where it gets past just using your hands it gets hard.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
How do you sign "Gatornado?"

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post