SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *****2010 Subaru Forester Purchase Question ****** Update ******
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*****2010 Subaru Forester Purchase Question ****** Update ****** Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
1. It goes through headlights. They last about a year or so.
… Silent
I forgot about that! Ours does that too. That does seem pretty damn ridiculous and another example of goofy engineering. But otherwise the car is great …

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Lights? I do not find that to be the case. I use OEM HELIOLITE H11 (Korea) in the Subaru.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Lights? I do not find that to be the case. I use OEM HELIOLITE H11 (Korea) in the Subaru.

Thanks for the tip. I might as well give them a try since the ones on our car should go out any day now!

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 2013 Forester I put 150k on. Loved it. Engine was replaced under warranty for oil consumption.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Jon's post reminded me. If you do by the Forester, don't use Mobil1 in it.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
So when you guys have the head gasket replaced do you go with the same faulty gasket or have the Multi Layered gasket from the STI Turbo models installed?

Mr.Subaru has this video
BTW, is this someone who should be listened to?
https://youtu.be/-aq0hDvKJ5Q

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think Felpro has a premium multilayer gasket just for the 2.5. The stock gasket can weap a long time before it’s an issue.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

Why?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got rid of the vehicle. I didn't want to drop 2K to replace the gaskets and then risk another 6K to replace the CVT if it failed after 100K.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
We got rid of the vehicle. I didn't want to drop 2K to replace the gaskets and then risk another 6K to replace the CVT if it failed after 100K.

Not seeing the 2010 Forester on the list am I missing something?

http://www.subarucomplaints.com/cvt/

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

Why?

Oil consumption

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:

Not seeing the 2010 Forester on the list am I missing something?

No you're not missing anything. The 2010 has a 4EAT Automatic not a CVT.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't realize it was not a CVT.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My knowledge is growing but still limited.
Folks on here kept suggesting Subaru’s in vehicle threads & Consumer Reports gives the Forester great reviews so I figured It was good to go.
Now I’m wondering.
Are folks here saying they’re crap ?!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No. Not crap. Certain year models have certain issues that are more common than other years.

Like the head gasket issues for 1999-2010.

Similarly, some 2014-2018 Foresters develop issues with their CVT transmission.

Not every Forester in those year model ranges will have these issues, but some will.

Every year/make/model of motor vehicle has its own quirks, and typically has something that they're "known for". Not usually because every single example of that car has that exact issue, but because the issue crops ups more often than on other cars.

Besides, every car can develop mechanical problems. That's why you have a warranty (on newer cars) and a car repair savings fund (on older cars).

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I changed the plugs on my '08 at 90k there was oil on them. And some oil around the ports. But the car runs like a champ and I'm pissed I offered it to my S.I.L., who is getting it next week.

I'm the original purchaser, have done all the services, have road-tripped across the country multiple times, and get the feeling the car would last another 200k miles.

It has the same transmission and engine as the 2010 you're looking at.

2.5L engine (non-turbo) and 4EAT 4-speed automatic transmission w/ Sports Shift. On local 25mph roads the car has always had a tough time making up its mind between 1st and 2nd; I use Sports Shift most of the time. Love the zippiness and stability.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well it’s home and after a 2hr drive thru Amish Country’s winding roads I’m quite impressed with this vehicles handling.
My wife decided we needed to stop at Ugly Bunny Winery outside of Loudonville, Ohio on the way home so I snapped these pics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's in great condition. Are you going to drive it in the winter mostly?

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice looking vehicle! What’s in that hole below the AC controls? Mines just open storage.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Nice looking vehicle! What’s in that hole below the AC controls? Mines just open storage.

It’s the Subaru hands free phone unit.

quote:
Looks like it's in great condition. Are you going to drive it in the winter mostly?

Actually I’m not planning on driving it much in the winter for the next 2-3 years.
Once I retire (two years from this month) I plan to take the winter off as a break to spend in my shop then get a part time job to keep me busy.
This is just a back up vehicle as I have a Honda Fit (manual trans) that I rack up miles on & tow behind the motorhome.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%