SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation - ball hitch for my truck?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation - ball hitch for my truck? Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
U-Haul recommends 18 inches for the trailer ball:

Jeff Jenkins, U-Haul’s towing expert, suggests using 18 inches as the trailer height in step two if you plan to tow a U-Haul trailer, as this is the standard coupler height for U-Haul trailers.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles...ount-For-Your-Hitch/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
U-Haul recommends 18 inches for the trailer ball

And more info from their web site:

What hitch ball height is required for U-Haul trailers?
The optimal ball height for towing U-Haul trailers is 18½ to 18¾ inches. This is measured from the ground to the middle of the hitch ball, prior to connecting the trailer.

So I'm thinking a 2" drop would have given me the optimal 18" ball hitch height, based on the picture chellim1 posted. Not sure why they steered me to the 3.5"; maybe most trucks sit a little higher but I've not 4WD on mine (those ones are a little higher). Or maybe they thought it would be 'safer' or easier to couple the trailer tongue?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Perfect. So for my 21.5” high receiver, 3.5” u-haul or the 4” fusion Curt sounds like a perfect fit. In general, would a welded ball or bolted ball be stronger? Or no real difference. Sounds like they are rated the same so should be no different.

Leaning toward the welded Curt still.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would go with the bolted ball. The welded ball is only as good as the weld and most of the hitches I have seen have been bolted balls. There are other weaker links like the pin that holds the hitch to your receiver.

You never know when you may need a smaller or larger ball.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get bolted. The ball will get chewed up and need replacement long before the draw bar needs replacement (never).

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Perfect. So for my 21.5” high receiver

OK, a few more observations, as much for my next towing experience as for you.

The 3.5" drop ball mount? That is 3.5" measured from the ball deck to the top of the mount.

On my truck, the 3.5" drop puts the center of the ball at about 17 ½". So the 2.25" drop plus the 2" ball would have put me at about 18.5".

Extrapolating: Reese Towpower (21289) Class III Standard 5.25" Drop Ball Mount should put you at 18".

I'm thinking tow guys have a sense for this without measuring too closely. They look at it and know whether it is safe or not. Too high plus shifting weight in the trailer = no good. Wink

Loading trucks and trailers is serious business. I drove an ill-loaded 20+ foot U-Haul in my youth. Coming down a winding mountain pass with no guard rails, the front tires were not gripping as the truck was ass heavy. Braking? No good. I jammed the automatic transmission into lower gear to slow myself then continued the sweating, hyperventilating white-knuckle descent.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dang, I jumped the gun and ordered the welded ball mount. I figured that if weld is good between the plate on which the ball sits and the bar that inserts into the hitch receiver, it should be good for the ball. I was thinking that, since I'm never planning to change out the ball, it's one less thing to worry about coming loose. If I need a different ball, I'll buy a new mount with pre-installed ball.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/45154

It's probably okay -- rated for 750lb TW and 7500lb GTW. I figure a loaded trailer for me is somewhere between 1500lb to 3000lb (GW depending on size of trailer). So, I should have plenty of headroom.

That being said, now I'm a little uncomfortable. I'll probably get the pre-torqued ball as well and use the welded ball as a spare.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/45056

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

In 15 years of towing different types of trailers (travel trailer, 2 axle utility, single axle utility), with several different tow vehicles (Suburban, Dodge 2500, Ford 250, Tacoma, Sequoia), I have accumulated a total of 3 ball mounts (IIRC, 2", 4", and 8" drops). Those three ball mounts have managed to accommodate any combination of the above. To attach a ball, just use a piece of pipe as a cheater bar on your wrench. With the provided lock washer, it will never come loose, and will probably rust so you have a heck of a time removing it if you need to switch ball sizes. Easier to just get another ball mount for the new size ball, but with your towing capacity, everything is going to be 2" ball. I keep an old milk crate in the garage with ball mounts, extra balls, pins, wiring adapters, etc.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You are unnecessarily complicating this.

Go to Uhaul tell them to set you up for the trailer you are renting. It is in their best interest that you neither hurt yourself or their equipment.

It's their business to rent equipment to people who are inexperienced, using vehicles who's towing capability is untested.

Relax it'll be fine. Spend the extra $12 to let them hook a brother up. Retain the drawbar they sell you, if in the future you need something different they will happily sell you just what you need.

Ask them to explain how to load the trailer to get appropriate drawbar weight. That shit right there will GREATLY affect your towing experience.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
appropriate drawbar weight

Great, another thing to look up. Smile Thanks.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
appropriate drawbar weight

Great, another thing to look up. Smile Thanks.

I think he means tongue weight. If so, you want 10-15 percent of the weight of your loaded trailer to be carried by the tow vehicle. Preferably closer to 15%. For example, if your loaded trailer weighs 3,000 pounds, you want between 300 and 450 pounds of that to be carried by your tow vehicle via the hitch. Too little can cause the trailer to flop around, aka sway, which isn't fun. Too much causes the front end of the tow vehicle to be unloaded which can cause steering and braking problems.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That's scary right there. You better sell your truck and use a shipper. Big Grin Wink

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Read the owner's manual section on towing before you tow anything. You probably want to use "tow/haul" or lock out overdrive, or something like that. And it's important. Failure to follow the recommendations will in all likelihood shorten the life of your expensive-ass transmission.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is all new to me, so while I'm towing, it's good to keep your distance Smile

If drawbar weight and tongue weight are the same thing, then I get it conceptually. The only thing I was wondering about was when driving the empty trailer to/from the rental place. In that case, I likely won't have the recommended tongue weight; I assume that the trailer will bounce around a bit so just drive slow.

BTW, was looking at getting this. Searching for other options still. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=A7O51HGOUZ91S&psc=1

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will bounce around a bit. Sorry if my explanation of tongue weight sounds scary. In all likelihood, you'll be fine with the size trailer you are talking about.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I was wondering about was when driving the empty trailer to/from the rental place. In that case, I likely won't have the recommended tongue weight; I assume that the trailer will bounce around a bit so just drive slow.

From the rental yard, an empty trailer is properly balanced. It is no way heavy enough to control your truck. Drive it gently at first so you are used to the new noises - the weight you probably will not notice - then go ahead and yank it around a bit. Drive it like you stole it.

Just remember when changing lanes ... there's a trailer hanging off your truck. Don't forget it is there.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Everyone is way overthinking this. Buy a ballmount, ball & wiring adapter and tow the trailer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post