SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation - ball hitch for my truck?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation - ball hitch for my truck? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Hi, reminder that I've never had a truck before and the LX570 is my first. Smile

I want to rent a U-haul utility trailer (5x8?) to move some furniture. But I need a ball hitch to attach the trailer.

Dumb question: What do I want to look for in purchasing a ball hitch? Any brand recommendations?

Or are all of the basically the same - just buy based on the height I need? (ie - just buy one U-haul offers in the local store).

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSu...its-7500-Lbs?Mid=606

Should I get an adjustable height ball hitch? Or is it better to get multiple ball hitches depending on the heights of the trailers? (for example, if I use different types of trailers over time)

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Height and size, beyond that they're mostly the same in any way that matters.

UHaul's prices aren't bad, either. Last I checked - for my neighbor a month or so ago - the price at the local UHaul joint was within $2 of HomeDepot, Ace, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There seem to be a couple of brands that show up a lot. Curt and Reese are pretty popular at the big box stores. You'll need a ball (usually 2") and the draw bar with correct drop. It's best to have the trailer level or slightly high in the front. That's more of a factor if the trailer is a tandem axle or has surge brakes. Base the drop height on the trailers you'll tow most frequently.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Reese and Curt are two HUGE names in the hitch biz.

Not familiar with the "LX570" but I'm going to guess that it's an SUV rather than an actual truck.

Check the towing capacity and size the hitch accordingly. I sort of doubt you'll need a full 2" receiver hitch, but I could be wrong about that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Any thoughts on an adjustable height ball hitch? Not recommended?

Just thinking if I rent a trailer of a particular height this time but then a different trailer / height next time.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hitch maker's names I'm familiar with are Draw-Tite, Reese and Valley. All are good if installed properly. I'm not sure who supplies U-Haul's hitches but it may be Draw- Tite.

Do a search for local trailer dealers and hitch installers and get some prices. You may be able to do better than what U-Haul charges.

The height of the trailer itself isn't important, it's the height of the towing socket and these are pretty much universal. Your vehicle determines what draw bar drop you need.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I assumed the vehicle already has the receiver and wiring for lights. If not, add that.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

So, U-haul, Reese, Curt are the typical brands.

The LX570 has a 2" hitch that seems fairly well rated. Seems to be a pretty capable with towing.

So, just need to get either the right height for the trailer I rent? Or get an adjustable height ball hitch (draw bar is the correct term?)?

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I guess I assumed the vehicle already has the receiver and wiring for lights. If not, add that.

Yup, already has factory 2" hitch receiver and lights (I assume that's standard for all trailers and no adapters and such required?).

posted Hide Post
^^^^

Depends. A lot of newer vehicles have the round 7 blade receptacles while older trailers may have 4 or 5 prong flat plugs. There are adapters available.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, just need to get either the right height for the trailer I rent? Or get an adjustable height ball hitch (draw bar is the correct term?)?

Yes... this is important.

Select a ball mount with the right rise or drop

Leveling your trailer: Your trailer needs to be level fore and aft so the weight is distributed properly and the trailer handles the way it should, but the trailer hitch receiver on your particular tow vehicle is unlikely to be at the same height as the trailer tongue. To level your towing rig, we sell ball mounts made with different amounts of “drop”. They lower the actual towing ball the amount needed (between 3/4" and 8"). Most are reversible; turn the ball mount upside down to add “rise” if your trailer is higher than the car’s receiver.
Trailer Hitches

https://www.westmarine.com/Wes...Hitches-and-Couplers

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, so unless I have an adjustable height ball mount, I won't know which height to buy unless I know the specifics of the trailer I am renting.

So, my options are:
1) buy an adjustable height ball mount
2) buy a ball mount at the time of trailer rental specific for that trailer (which may or may not work for future trailer rentals).

If that's the case, I'm leaning toward an adjustable height mount if there aren't any concerns with them (ie -just as safe as regular single height ball mount).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:If that's the case, I'm leaning toward an adjustable height mount if there aren't any concerns with them (ie -just as safe as regular single height ball mount).

Probably a bit more expensive. I guess in theory, they might not be quite as strong, but I doubt an LX570 could pull anywhere near the weight limit of the drawbar.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Height is easy. Just estimate where it would hurt the most to hit with your leg. Seems that’s what everyone else does!

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Oh. If you go with fixed, most can be flipped changing it from dropped to a couple inches above.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A subtle deviation from ideal in the rise or drop (an inch or two in either direction) is exceptionally common and I'd wager the vast majority of folks hauling trailers pay it zero attention with zero ill effects.

Do you best to match it and don't over think it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, I was checking on the adjustable height ball mounts and they do seem expensive (granted that I'm looking at something over engineered for my truck and my applications but I like to have headroom Smile).

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004...pa_dk_detail_3?psc=1

So, break even is about 4 regular ball mounts. I'm pretty sure I'll only be renting 5x8 to 6x12 utility trailers (open but maybe enclosed sometimes, I don't know).

If I keep to utility trailers from U-haul, will they all be basically the same height -- I'll only really need one ball mount?

It doesn't seem to be spec'ed on the u-haul webpages:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers...y-Trailer-Rental/AO/

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers...With-Ramp-Rental/HO/

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A subtle deviation from ideal in the rise or drop (an inch or two in either direction) is exceptionally common and I'd wager the vast majority of folks hauling trailers pay it zero attention with zero ill effects.

Do you best to match it and don't over think it.

Thanks -- that's good info. I was wondering about this. So plus/minus 1-2" is probably okay.

posted Hide Post
^^^^

You're probably right, but low is a pain with surge brakes. It makes it difficult for the cylinder to disengage with weight against it. Every time you start to pull away from a stop, the tires will drag a bit and the brakes heat up.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I really think you are way overthinking this unless you're pulling a travel trailer over a large distance.
Most any U-Haul trailer in that size range probably won't carry enough weight to make the typical heights you're looking at all that critical. You probably just need a small offset straight mount. But if you really want to cover most all the bases height wise, there is always something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004...737261_t3_B004SMGAJ6

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post