SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone else sewing up medical masks?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else sewing up medical masks? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonnie found elastic at Quilt in a day in So. Cal , last wednesday .
Link : https://www.quiltinaday.com/retail/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I understand that the N95 or P100 masks offer adequate protection and these home-made masks offer protection to a lesser degree; you would be silly to tun a cloth mask down if it was all that was available. It does offer a degree of protection that COULD save you from contracting COVID-19.

If you were going into a gunfight with an opponent possibly armed with a rifle, would you turn down level IIIa soft body armor or would you take advantage of the vest?

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:these masks won't offer much more protection than peace of mind. I
. Will CC this to the 300 sewers and the medical professionals who are clearly dillusional ,
(Roll eyes)

You do realize that a N95 filters particulates at 95% efficiency down to the size of .3 microns, right?

Pollen spores range in size from 10-1000 microns, mold spores range in size from 10-30 microns. You can't see either one of those individually with the naked eye. Viruses you ask, range from .004-.2 microns.

So please, do pass that info onto the 300 delusional medical professionals you speak of. I'm all for innovation and new technology to help in our time of need, but don't pretend that coffee filters and used t shirts can stop the spread of viruses.

While I don't think the sewing of masks at this necessary.

1. They are effective, given it the virus requires a carrier, ie moisture. No they are not a N95, and no they are not as effective, and no they do not last as long.

2. I find no reason to belittle people who do.

I do agree, please don't take it as belittlement. Also, you are correct that viruses require a carrier, that is what the HEPA filter properties of a N95 will capture along with the virus. N95's also have a static electricity property to them to assist in capturing.

I really wish there was something off the shelf that would help in the time of need, but I'm not aware of it. Makeshift masks out of common fabrics isn't it, again they have to be better than nothing, but they shouldn't be mistaken as equals.

I don’t believe anyone here has stated that homemade masks are the equivalent of N95 masks.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Mike Lindell of "My Pillow" fame has re-tooled his ENTIRE manufacturing line to produce N95 masks for health care professionals. He said they can produce up to 40,000 masks PER DAY!!

Need a "LIKE" button for that!!!

That's great, but he sure isn't doing it for cost.

One of my customers is making them in their factories in NC and SC, they specialize in women's clothing (large factories), they have one in Florida and he asked me my opinion since Miami is a hot spot for the virus and and they had that factory closed for the virus and he's worried about the employees. I told him to leave it up to the employees and almost all employees said yes (without mentioning higher pay). They plan on paying all employees double pay, and 20% plus profit is what they'll end up making on them...…… they can make 400,000 a week in that 1 factory.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is the Mask Thread: It's nice to see some people were working on these problems and not just talking about them.

quote:
Seattle is one of first in nation to receive powerful new mask decontamination system

"The system was designed by researchers at Ohio's Battelle laboratories in July 2016 after a group of federal agencies recommended that protective masks for health care workers should be capable of being repeatedly decontaminated during a crisis."

"The crisis is now here, and Battelle quickly began manufacturing the systems in March for use across the nation."

https://komonews.com/news/coro...contamination-system

The cloth masks- They're for you to wear to protect me. For me to wear to protect you.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ll probably s start, now that there is a general recommendation that everyone use masks, reserving the N95 for the pros. I’m the cloth cutter and my wife the seamstress.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many HEPA vacuum cleaner bags are .5 microns.

You can easily make several masks out of one cannister vac bag.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
My wife as well (she's a pretty accomplished quilter). Hers have a pocket for a HEPA filter and are washable. I'm using over an N95, and she's sending a couple of dozen to our daughter and her nursing staff in another state. They're not replacements, but cover and protect the N95, and can be washed and reused (which the N95 cannot).

Fashionable, too.... Smile

Just made a couple like that out of a thick cotton tshirt for that 1 time a week I go to the store.

https://www.instructables.com/...-Out-of-a-Tee-Shirt/

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I can’t find N95 masks for sale anywhere, no surprise at all.

I was thinking I had some dust masks in the garage from sawing and sanding.

Rammed around in my garage work area and found them! And the pack says N95!

I don’t remember how old they are, probably at least 6 years.

The elastic bands are old and not very stretchy, but I was able to gently stretch them one inch at a time and put one on and mold around to fit my face.

Are they still good, being not of recent manufacturer? My garage is hot in the summer and cold in the winter so that’s that.

I guess they’re better than nothing.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I can’t find N95 masks for sale anywhere, no surprise at all.

I was thinking I had some dust masks in the garage from sawing and sanding.

Rammed around in my garage work area and found them! And the pack says N95!

I don’t remember how old they are, probably at least 6 years.

The elastic bands are old and not very stretchy, but I was able to gently stretch them one inch at a time and put one on and mold around to fit my face.

Are they still good, being not of recent manufacturer? My garage is hot in the summer and cold in the winter so that’s that.

I guess they’re better than nothing.

You can always augment that mask with a bandana or cloth wrap. (which can be sterilized/laundered after usage)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Is this better than nothing for a quick trip to the market?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-Kmeb_16o

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ thanks

If I’m not involved in health care, just making the occasional grocery grab & get out, is there any reason why I shouldn’t spray the N95 with Lysol ? And reuse it?

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Is this better than nothing for a quick trip to the market?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-Kmeb_16o

I would think better than nothing. It wouldn't filter out true aerosolized virus, but it could reduce larger droplets. And it would also protect others if you yourself were a contagion. Also a good reminder to not touch your own face.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Pretty quick and easy for those of us otherwise unprepared.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^ thanks

If I’m not involved in health care, just making the occasional grocery grab & get out, is there any reason why I shouldn’t spray the N95 with Lysol ? And reuse it?

The people at my wife’s hospital are putting used N95 masks in ultraviolet light for one hour to sanitize before reuse, though I’ve read that as little as ten minutes will kill the virus. They recommended that homemade cloth masks be washed in hot water in the washing machine. Make two or three and always have one clean and ready to go.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^ thanks

For a home-made mask, I would think it OK. I would NOT use a liquid (Lysol, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide) on a true N95, as it would damage the substructure of the material (much of the filtering is based on the material's electrostatic properties).

When it gets to decontaminating masks at home (I wonder if it will get to that), I think I'd use dry heat. I'd avoid an oven where food is cooked for obvious reasons. I'd probably use a hair blow dryer, or alternately a 30 minute cycle in the clothes dryer at a low setting.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
^^^^^^ thanks

For a home-made mask, I would think it OK. I would NOT use a liquid (Lysol, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide) on a true N95, as it would damage the substructure of the material (much of the filtering is based on the material's electrostatic properties).

When it gets to decontaminating masks at home (I wonder if it will get to that), I think I'd use dry heat. I'd avoid an oven where food is cooked for obvious reasons. I'd probably use a hair blow dryer, or alternately a 30 minute cycle in the clothes dryer at a low setting.
Safer alternatives:
  • If you go out 1x per day, have/make 4 masks and rotate them. New England Journal of medicine reported that lives 72 hours on plastic.
  • Make washable masks with a filter pouch. Take out the HEPA filter, and wash the mask. Have 4 filters to rotate between.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of downtownv
    posted Hide Post
    I heard my neighbor wanting to sew his wife's mouth shut.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Today I learned how to make a mask from a pair of Boxer Briefs. Clean ones.

Gotta love Korean YouTube!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post