SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone else sewing up medical masks?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else sewing up medical masks? Login/Join 
posted
Bonnie is sewing some up to donate to meet the demands for the medical people that are running short , out here in the sticks.

She will be out of elastic by friday ,
are you finding elastic any where ?

they much prefer the elastic, ( they say )

instead of the tye type

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My wife is making some masks and hair coverings, for a local shelter that has asked for them. She's just sewing on fabric strips to be used as ties instead of elastic - couldn't find elastic anywhere simple (or on amazon I think).

some other lady she know gave her a bunch of fabric and the pattern to use. So, no money it it, just her time sewing. she spends an hour or two each evening working on them...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Mike Lindell of "My Pillow" fame has re-tooled his ENTIRE manufacturing line to produce N95 masks for health care professionals. He said they can produce up to 40,000 masks PER DAY!!

Need a "LIKE" button for that!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Jo-Ann Fabric is giving away free kits to make masks, to be donated to medical folks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Mike Lindell of "My Pillow" fame has re-tooled his ENTIRE manufacturing line to produce N95 masks for health care professionals. He said they can produce up to 40,000 masks PER DAY!!

Need a "LIKE" button for that!!!

Awesome news!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife, a pediatric nurse, made 4 or 5 masks yesterday from the leftover material from the new scrub top she made recently. They are critically low on masks at her hospital and are reusing their regular masks after UV light treatment, so she and other nurses are making more. They won’t provide the same level of protection as the regular ones but they’re better than nothing if supplies aren’t replenished soon.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is sewing masks. She is doing both, tie and elastic because elastic is scarce right now. She is using hair tie/ ponytail holders too. She is donating them to health care workers including her one sister to take them into the hospital she works at.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My wife used some elastic cord, instead of the "ribbon" type. But she did already have it on hand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has made probably close to 100. She bought 70 yds of elastic from Amazon.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
That's what my wife is doing in the basement right now. She's a retired RN and works at a clinic every week. Donates her time.

Just what I need, her to bring the virus home to kill me. Maybe that's her plan. Maybe its my turn to die, who knows.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I just shipped 2,200 N95 and 2,400 surgical masks from my Taichung lock manufacturing plant to my MD daughter in SoCal; she's one of Kaiser's Chiefs and desperately need masks.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I have multiple friends sewing masks. One found some bungee cord to use.
Others report vacuum clearer bags/filters are almost N-95 level.
There are plans on line to make masks from 3D printers and insert filters.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly appreciate those taking time to help out, but please be aware that these masks won't offer much more protection than peace of mind. I'm sure they are better than nothing, but they are nowhere near a N95.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Certainly appreciate those taking time to help out, but please be aware that these masks won't offer much more protection than peace of mind. I'm sure they are better than nothing, but they are nowhere near a N95.

Correct. The ones my wife are making have a pocket for coffee filters or tissues to be inserted and removed/ replaced while wearing over the N95 masks.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I just shipped 2,200 N95 and 2,400 surgical masks from my Taichung lock manufacturing plant to my MD daughter in SoCal; she's one of Kaiser's Chiefs and desperately need masks.

^^^^^
My nephew is an ER doctor at a hospital in Ohio. They are down to one N95 mask per shift. I’ve been looking for some mask for him without any success. It’s surprising how ill prepared the medical community was.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:these masks won't offer much more protection than peace of mind. I
. Will CC this to the 300 sewers and the medical professionals who are clearly dillusional ,
(Roll eyes)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:these masks won't offer much more protection than peace of mind. I
. Will CC this to the 300 sewers and the medical professionals who are clearly dillusional ,
(Roll eyes)

You do realize that a N95 filters particulates at 95% efficiency down to the size of .3 microns, right?

Pollen spores range in size from 10-1000 microns, mold spores range in size from 10-30 microns. You can't see either one of those individually with the naked eye. Viruses you ask, range from .004-.2 microns.

So please, do pass that info onto the 300 delusional medical professionals you speak of. I'm all for innovation and new technology to help in our time of need, but don't pretend that coffee filters and used t shirts can stop the spread of viruses.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
(Roll eyes)

You do realize that a N95 filters particulates at 95% efficiency down to the size of .3 microns, right?

Pollen spores range in size from 10-1000 microns, mold spores range in size from 10-30 microns. You can't see either one of those individually with the naked eye. Viruses you ask, range from .004-.2 microns.

So please, do pass that info onto the 300 delusional medical professionals you speak of. I'm all for innovation and new technology to help in our time of need, but don't pretend that coffee filters and used t shirts can stop the spread of viruses.

While I don't think the sewing of masks at this necessary.

1. They are effective, given it the virus requires a carrier, ie moisture. No they are not a N95, and no they are not as effective, and no they do not last as long.

2. I find no reason to belittle people who do.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
quote:
quote:
(Roll eyes)

While I don't think the sewing of masks at this necessary.

1. They are effective, given it the virus requires a carrier, ie moisture. No they are not a N95, and no they are not as effective, and no they do not last as long.

2. I find no reason to belittle people who do.

I do agree, please don't take it as belittlement. Also, you are correct that viruses require a carrier, that is what the HEPA filter properties of a N95 will capture along with the virus. N95's also have a static electricity property to them to assist in capturing.

I really wish there was something off the shelf that would help in the time of need, but I'm not aware of it. Makeshift masks out of common fabrics isn't it, again they have to be better than nothing, but they shouldn't be mistaken as equals.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Our daughter is and taking them in to the hospital she works at in Opelika, AL for team there. She had a security guard call her over and offer $10 for one this week.

Sorry dude - wrong lady for that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post