SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    checking accounts ( poll)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

checking accounts ( poll) Login/Join 
posted
On a recent judge judy , the judge could not believe that the plaintiff, did not pay his monthly bills from a checking account at a bank.
she was adamant that it was not possible to do it any other way .

he said that he either purchased money orders or used a debit card

Question:
Just how odd is it that a person does not use a checking account in this day and age ?

Choices:
extremely odd, the f.b.i. should hear about him
a little odd, I think its suspicious
I don't understand why, but who cares?
I understand why , leave the guy alone
I have not written a bank check in ages
I don't understand why anyone fiddles with personal checks anymore
this thread makes me hungry

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, someone doesn't have a checking account if they're a scheister and have judgements or creditors looking for money they haven't paid.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Got a buddy who up until a few years ago didn't have a checking account. He used to wait for his check to get mailed to his home since he didn't have direct deposit. Then he'd take it to the currency exchange to cash it since he didn't have an account at the bank. Of course he had to pay the currency exchange for that service.

Being a good friend, I talked him into opening a checking account and getting direct deposit so he can keep more of his money and get paid quicker. He's adapted pretty well. I'm also responsible for him getting on a plane for the first time when he flew from Chicago to El Paso. First time he flew was at the age of 35. Big Grin

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are evading judgements like child support. Some low wage paying jobs pay on a "pay card," similar to a debit card. Money is posted to the card and spent that way. Without a garnishment direct to the employer, no way for the entity to claim their judgement.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I worked at a bank in college. Plenty of people dont have a checking accounts. Either due to bad credit or abusing the system.

Basically they had checks along time ago and overdrew the account and it was eventually closed. Once that happens they get logged into the national "check systems" database that tells everyone about how they didnt pay what was owed.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could do that to avoid identity theft, but I'm too lazy. Direct Deposit works for me, I watch my checking account like a hawk, and have it set up so that can't be accessed on the Internet. Despite these precautions, my bank has changed my debit card twice in the last three years due to computer attacks.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
judge judy asked the plaintiff if he had warrants out for his arrest, and if he was avoiding law enforcement .

he said no

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is common with the Millenial generation. Some do not know how to write a check. They however know about bitcoins and other methods of payment. They assume everyone takes credit cards, and are shocked when you tell them you do not accept credit card payment for services.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I saw the same episode.

About a year ago, I had to shred paper checks that I ordered close to 18 years ago for which I paid at least a couple of hundred bucks. Each check was 10 cents each. They were for being printed 3 at a time using my printer.

But ever since my banks have offered free bill pay, I don't see the point of using checks except for the rare occassion. Even if the other party doesn't receive electronic checks, bill pay will send them an actual check. I save the money of the check itself, the stamp and envelope, and I can schedule to the day when the other party receives it instead of playing games with the postal service lead time.

What was odd about the guy was he said, he always pays everything with a money order even though he has a checking account. Well, money orders cost more than writing a check and it's a lot more hassle to create and control. You can't put a stop payment as easily with a money order as you can with a check. That was the odd thing about the guy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the B of A and others checking fee scandal several years ago!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Millions of unbanked Americans. They get paid via direct deposit onto a "pay card" issued by their employer that functions as a debit card.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Millions of unbanked Americans. They get paid via direct deposit onto a "pay card" issued by their employer that functions as a debit card.

Exactly. There was an article last week about Walmart creating separate 'accounts' people could use to save for specific purposes. One can hope this will drive banks to become more customer friendly and competitive.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
...One can hope this will drive banks to become more customer friendly and competitive.

It would be even better if it drove them back to corporate and international banking, and away from retail which they do so poorly at. I spent many years in international banking, some more in corporate, and even at my age would love to get back into it, if the banks hadn't given up and ceded both areas of business to foreign competition.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
There are many different reasons why folks don't deal with banks if they can help it. Some of those reasons are shady, some are not. Just because someone chooses to organize his life differently than I organize mine doesn't make him wrong or his motives automatically suspect.

Take debit cards. When they came out, the bank wanted to charge a fee to use them. I took one look at that, thought, "Okay, so you want to take away my float and you want to charge me for the privilege? Pack sand!" Never have used them and never will. All bank cards are setup to function only as ATM cards, never as a debit card. I'll write a check, use cash, or use a credit card, but never a debit card. If someone frauds one of my credit cards, the issuer eats it. What happens if some frauds a debit card? Who eats that loss?

That's my approach, but tons of people seem to live their entire life via debit card. Do I judge them for taking a different approach than I do? Nope. I'd prefer to worry about my own situation and stay out of other folk's to the extent possible.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I don't care how someone pays their bills, or with whatever they choose as long as it is their money.

Paying their bills is a good thing and should be encouraged.

If there are crimes being committed, that is the purpose of the police. To investigate and solve crimes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I worked at a bank in college. Plenty of people dont have a checking accounts. Either due to bad credit or abusing the system.

Basically they had checks along time ago and overdrew the account and it was eventually closed. Once that happens they get logged into the national "check systems" database that tells everyone about how they didnt pay what was owed.

This is my experience as well. These are the customers the banks don't want. You know, the kind who say "I can't be overdrawn, I still have more checks....".

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Other than payroll for my part-time employee I don't think I write five paper checks a year.

The two credit cards that I use are cash-back cards with no annual fee, so I use them wherever possible.

If I need to pay a bill that I can't pay with a credit card I use online bill pay.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A lot of low-income types do not have checking accounts. That's why check-cashing places exist and prosper.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Other than payroll for my part-time employee I don't think I write five paper checks a year.

The two credit cards that I use are cash-back cards with no annual fee, so I use them wherever possible.

If I need to pay a bill that I can't pay with a credit card I use online bill pay.

How do you pay your credit card bill? (Perhaps that's with "online bill pay" which I'm not familiar with) I have never written a check at a gas station or grocery store or restaurant nor do I use a credit card there. I always use cash for that type of purchase. Propane delivery, major appliances, farm expenses, family gifts and some utilities get paid by check.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
I am one of those gosh darn millennial rebel scum.

I have a checking account. Occasionally I even find cause to write a personal check (As opposed to having the Bank Generate one for me via Bill-Pay).

I try to keep everything "electronic" simply for the sake of consistency and tracking no other reason. I don't care how people choose to spend or use their money. It's their money, their life and none of my freaking business.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post