SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One to watch in Illinois - SB0607 Switchblade Knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One to watch in Illinois - SB0607 Switchblade Knives Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
This bill would legalize the manufacture, buying, selling, ownership, and possession of switchblade knives in Illinois. It passed the House & Senate and was sent to the Governor on 6/16/17. So he has 60 days to approve or veto. If no action at 60 days it becomes law. If my math is correct, Monday the 14th will be 60 days. It states you have to have a Firearms Owners Identification card (all gun owners required to possess in Illinois) to own and carry a switchblade.

A couple of concerns though from my perspective, no preemption over local laws stated, and nothing about blade length.

So I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think I would ever live to see that.

Good for you guys.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I didn't think I would ever live to see that.

Good for you guys.
It's actually possible now that someone in Illinois government actually has to act to keep it from happening.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Update..... it's the 14th and this bill is now listed as a "Public Act". So it is considered a law! Now we'll see how it plays out.

I still can't believe it made through the house and senate in Illinois!

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Poneyboy and Soda Pop will be dancing in the streets Big Grin

Only recently Texas has also corrected some ridiculous knife laws.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years back, IL was rewriting the gun laws, and some poor wording about shot guns made full-auto legal. A couple days before the law was to go into effect, they changed it again, reverting to the prohibition.

Too bad, I already had a S&W M-76 picked out.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Update..... it's the 14th and this bill is now listed as a "Public Act". So it is considered a law! Now we'll see how it plays out.

I still can't believe it made through the house and senate in Illinois!

I left IL in '97. It took its sweet time but in the last few years I've seen 70mph speed for all, shall issue, and the Cubs win the series.

Legalized switchblades... Next thing you know there will be a balanced budget.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blade length is blade length. Whatever the law is for regular folders should apply to automatic knives as well, unless stated. I think in California you can carry a automatic as long as the blade is under 2 inches long.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Will this include 'assisted opening' and OTF, like Benchmade's Infidel?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next thing will be CCL reciprocity for Wisconsin residents!

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Will this include 'assisted opening' and OTF, like Benchmade's Infidel?

Don't take my word for law, but the definition of switchblade is a knife with a blade that swings or slides out of a handle with the push of a button automatically.