SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump supporters are flocking to unbiased social media app Parler
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump supporters are flocking to unbiased social media app Parler Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Guess I'm just the odd man out here, but I just don't feel a compelling need to subscribe to 'any' social media platform.

Like it or not, the new public square is online social media. If you choose not to participate (and admittedly I don't on any of the other big platforms) then your voice is marginalized. That's simply a fact. The problem for us patriots and conservatives is that these platforms are currently being controlled by progressives and leftists. It's high time we start making a move and push these techno-fascists from their high horses. I applaud Bongino and the people at Parler for making the effort, and I intend to be a part of it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Guess I'm just the odd man out here, but I just don't feel a compelling need to subscribe to 'any' social media platform.

TBH, odds are I won't use it much--if at all. The point is to boost their subscriber numbers--to give the leftist-controlled platforms some competition. That's why I went to a bit of extra effort to find a work-around for my stumbling block.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Does anyone know if they sell your data off?

They claim they do not.

All they have from me, so far, is a tagged email address and a throw-away phone number.

Ensigmatic has some good protocol here. I've seen this push for Parler as well which is a little off given you have to register with the info they are asking for. Seems like a honeypot/Robin Sage situation where everyone that signs up has their info corraled into a database that nobody knows who controls? Paranoid?
Maybe. If anybody knows who actually owns Parler and actually knows where the info goes and is held I'd certainly like to hear.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

For what purpose do they need your phone number?
To send a verification code to your phone to confirm you're a live person and the information matches.
The implication is that you must have a cell phone with text service in order to use Parler. That's kind of short-sighted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I followed the bonginoreport. It absolutely spammed my feed. Gone.

Have a Twitter account? Any chance you follow Donald Trump, Don Jr., Ivanka Trump, James Woods or Dan Bongino there? Name any popular Conservative, there's NOT really much difference in terms of the amount of messaging. I just turned off the notifications as the sheer volume was overwhelming!

I don't really 'use' Twitter other than to follow 'certain' individuals with whom I'm aligned, so I can keep up with and/or 'follow' their message. If there's an alternative platform, I'm on board!

The whole point here is that Parler is a Conservative alternative....Let's give Twitter, Instagram and all the other Leftist Social Media platforms that are censoring Conservatives the 'one finger salute' and support the alternative! Cool

I don't have twitter or most others. The only other social app I do have is FB and I don't go there any longer other than to see a random update my wife tells me about.

Bongino's personal account had updates such as "You can't believe what I'm going to tell you later today! Tune in!"

The BonginoReport was just article after article after article and I couldn't see anything else on my neophyte feed. So I unfollowed both of them.

To everyone: Who do you follow on Parler?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had to turn off Brave's "Shields Up" setting to complete the registration process. Doing that caused the incomplete registration process to reload, so I had to start all over. Once I did that, I got the confirmation text message and I was in.

Weird that they default to using the username portion of your email address for a profile I.D. by default. Went into my profile and changed it to a username of my chosing.

<testing...>

Yup, have to leave "Shields Up" off for Parler. Don't care for that. Just have to make certain I always log in with a new private window, I guess.

These guys seem awfully intrusive.
I don't use the Brave browser (should I?) so I'm not familiar with "Shields Up." I assume that it's some sort of protective mechanism to ward off internet evil-doers. Question: Does it have a preference setting that allows the user to specify exemptions for specified websites?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yes, at least one
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Had to turn off Brave's "Shields Up" setting to complete the registration process. Doing that caused the incomplete registration process to reload, so I had to start all over. Once I did that, I got the confirmation text message and I was in.

Weird that they default to using the username portion of your email address for a profile I.D. by default. Went into my profile and changed it to a username of my chosing.

<testing...>

Yup, have to leave "Shields Up" off for Parler. Don't care for that. Just have to make certain I always log in with a new private window, I guess.

These guys seem awfully intrusive.
I don't use the Brave browser (should I?) so I'm not familiar with "Shields Up." I assume that it's some sort of protective mechanism to ward off internet evil-doers. Question: Does it have a preference setting that allows the user to specify exemptions for specified websites?

'Shields Up' is just a fancy way to indicate that the embedded Ad Filtering, Tracker Blocking, Third-Party Cookie Blocking, Social Media Blocking, and other Security Features are Toggled ON. You can toggle 'Shields Down' for specific websites (there's a 'Shield' toggle/button right on the end of the address bar), however there is not a 'White List' function per se (an actual list you can see/edit), where you would permanently disable for particular websites. It does however remember the 'Shields' setting for particular websites until you toggle/change it. You can navigate to other sites and when you return (even after closing and reopening the browser) it remembers the setting. Also, the 'Shields Down' toggle function is not a global switch, so it only toggles the Shields for that particular website.

Just FYI - On my PC, Parler DOES work w/ 'Shields Up', but some parts of the website are definitely slower to load. At times it seems that certain components/features on the website are 'broken', but it appears to be only a delayed execution of certain features.

I was also able to register just fine w/ 'Shields Up', but when customizing my profile and toggling multiple 'follow' buttons in succession while scrolling down the list, it seemed buggy and some 'actions' didn't take. For normal website viewing, navigating the feed and linking to the content from specific users it seems to work just fine w/ 'Shields UP' on my PC. Wink

You should DEFINITELY try Brave! It's a Chromium based browser with a comprehensive set of embedded security features, which eliminates the need to run any add-ons for that purpose. It has a VERY Clean GUI and it's EXTREMELY Fast! It became my default browser within 24 hours of install... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
To everyone: Who do you follow on Parler?

Right now I'm following Team Trump and Rand Paul. That's it, so far. Bongino's feed sounds annoying.

quote:
I don't use the Brave browser (should I?)...

I like it.

Between its built-in privacy protections plus uBlock Origin, probably about as privacy-protecting as you can get with a web browser.

quote:
... so I'm not familiar with "Shields Up." I assume that it's some sort of protective mechanism to ward off internet evil-doers.

Yes.

quote:
Question: Does it have a preference setting that allows the user to specify exemptions for specified websites?

Yes. You simply click on an icon next to the address bar and turn it off for the current site.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see some alternatives arising, now that the TwitBooks are increasingly being recognized as the left-tilted MSNBCs of the new age.

Bad enough they track you and your activities and sell the data and bury that fact to the best of their considerable capabilities. To lean left while censoring right, and whitewashing that behavior under 'fact checking'... in an election year, no less... Mad

That said, SIGforum is enough 'social media' for me. Best of luck to Parler and other competitors.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I follow Team Trump, Bongino's news feed clogged my page with so much stuff I unsubscribed because I didn't want to scroll through it all.

I'm using the Dissenter (Gab) browser.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Does anyone know if they sell your data off?

They claim they do not.

All they have from me, so far, is a tagged email address and a throw-away phone number.

Thank you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
But, hey, it's not your problem, right?
I think you know from my time here that's not at all what I think or believe. I'll do my part where I can with who I can, it just won't be on social media sites.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I'm with bigdeal on this one. Bongino has stated they are scrambling to catch up with all the new joiners and improve the systems engine.

I flushed all social media, not including my favorite forums.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you go to download Brave and how do you know you are getting a clean version that isn't some virus laden copy?

Sorry for the drift but thanks in advance for the info.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I don’t like social media either, but if you want to win elections, you have to play the game. This is one area where the demoncrats kick our asses every election and win a lot of the 18-25 demographic.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
I'm with bigdeal on this one.

I understand the sentiment. I flushed Twitter months ago. But I did that in protest of Twitter being very lopsided in their censoring of content and users.

Thing is, as PowerSurge notes:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I don’t like social media either, but if you want to win elections, you have to play the game.

Yup.

I'm reminded of a sailing club to which I used to belong. Members went to this big sailing industry event and came back to present to the Board what they'd seen and heard about the state of sailing.

One big take-away? Clubs had to be active on social media if they wanted to attract new blood to the sport. Had to. Just about the entire table, nearly all as old as me, if not older, grimaced.

I was the only one at the table with any knowledge and experience in social media.

You may not like it, but "like" has no bearing on reality. It is what it is. Adapt or wither and die.

Trump understands it. (Even if he does sometimes [?] use social media inadvisedly Wink.)

quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Where do you go to download Brave and how do you know you are getting a clean version that isn't some virus laden copy?

Brave home page

Also available: Mobile versions for iOS and Android.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Goodbye Twitter. Deleting my account. They are just too stupid. Hacks, Censorship, too many people arguing, too many bots.

Testing the waters on Parler. If it sucks then I will say goodbye to it too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yup. Twitter is quickly becoming the enemy of freedom and the US.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I flocked to Parler, then pretty quickly flocked off again.

There's not much flocking activity on it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post