SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm currently in gulf shores Alabama
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm currently in gulf shores Alabama Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You got a light hit, Sigmonkey in PCB is getting his ass kicked I suspect.

I rode out Camille 100 miles north of the coast and a colleague rode it out n Biloxi eventually in his attic due to rising water. Not smart.

This isn't a big hurricane.

Hope your vacation can be salvaged.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Be safe. I hope your car is still on the sand dune. On the positive side, at least you can fish directly from your house.

I have some friends who are going to Gulf Shores this week-end. If you have time, please let me know if you have any advice to share that I can relay to them.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You should take the car ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island. We did it during hurricane Irma:

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chellim

Hope you are doing ok. I am seeing a lot of rain over here in SE AL, no problems otherwise. I dumped 4 inches out of the rain gauge at 0800 and another 2.2 inches at 0945. Gonna be a long, wet day for a lot of folks. Try and stay dry!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Getting real down there. Three Mile Bridge in Pensacola.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Video from friends home in PCB

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...CZj8&ab_channel=SCox

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Getting real down there. Three Mile Bridge in Pensacola.

Saw that...word is a crane blew over and fell on it, breaking through the roadway. That really sucks because that's a brand new bridge, and I'm sure it won't be a quick fix. I heard there's also a loose barge floating around in the bay headed towards the I-10 Bridge...hopefully that doesn't hit anything. Guess we won't be going out to Pickens when we're down there next month...

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
My parents road it out in there condo on Pensacola beach. Last condos out towards Pickens next to peg leg petes. Water is up to the car window and they have no power. Lots of trees down but they are on the 3rd floor and doing okay. Both bridges are closed with a barge stuck under one of them so they aren't going anywhere for a while.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Any power related problems yet? That and rising water can really put you on a downward trend. Hope everything works out, stay safe!

We have been without power since around midnight last night so I have to limit cell phone use since battery is limited. Food is now in coolers. But we are fine.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Any power related problems yet? That and rising water can really put you on a downward trend. Hope everything works out, stay safe!

We have been without power since around midnight last night so I have to limit cell phone use since battery is limited. Food is now in coolers. But we are fine.

Hang in there. It's probably going to be a week before you can drive out of there, so be prepared for that. (Roads blocked with electric wires and downed trees and debris.)

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

I am glad you all are okay. I was just about to post this video of where you are. It's about 1.5 minutes in to see the beach houses. It's pretty rough:

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Made it out... and finally back to the St. Louis area.

We survived the hurricane. I learned my lesson; I won't stay and ride one out again.

The night it hit, between 2-3 am, we thought the building was coming apart. My daughter took the baby into the hallway at the center of the beach house where we all huddled. In the end, we were lucky. Only lost some siding and roof is leaking.
Then I tried to take the son-in-law to get his car where we left it 3 miles inland. I got two flat tires from all the debris in the road. One flat tire is a nuisance; two flat tires is a major headache. No electricity. No water. And no way off the island.

We got a text that my nephew was making his major league debut with the Orioles but had no internet or way to follow it. Bummer to miss that.

After two days I was able to get a tow to the only tire shop in the area that had electricity back on. Tires patched and on to Tennessee where we spent the night Saturday at my daughter's house. I've never been so thankful for a hot cup of coffee, a warm shower and cool AC.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you made it safely back.

My friends were supposed to go there for a week this past week-end. The trip was cancelled because Gulf Shores closed to non-residents for 10 days.

As a side note, one of the two couples who were going, was forced to ride out the last huge hurricane that hit St. Maarten. They were stuck there for a week after and then were stuck for about a week in Puerto Rico before they got home.

REmind me to never plan a vacation with that couple!

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re safe and everyone made it out okay. Sorry your vacation sucked.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You should take the car ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island. We did it during hurricane Irma:

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^That's funny, I don't remember there being a catapult on the ferry boat. Big Grin Were in deep shit if we have to rely on the F350 in an air to air intercept role.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post