SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ~*~Cautionary tail/Rotndad's PSA about buying used cars~*~
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~*~Cautionary tail/Rotndad's PSA about buying used cars~*~ Login/Join 
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
As far as me working on it, aint happening. The only supercharged V8 I plan to work on will be a big block chevy with an 871 supercharger.Big Grin
Holy! Eek Don't stand in front of that 8-71 or it might just suck you in.

There is no other sound so sweet as two 1150 Carbs opening up into a 10% overdriven blower, on a BBC with a big lumpy cam. And I've had a wide open Ferrari pass me on Autobahn 5.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

when you find a truly 'competent' home inspector please send me his contact info.
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Seller sounds less than scrupulous. Buyer sounds like a total nincompoop.

Who in the hell buys an E550 Benz with "just enough money leftover to drive home"? European luxury cars are some of the absolute worst depreciating "assets" you can purchase. They have shit reliability, and are expensive as hell to fix.

Before I get roasted by someone who has a Land Rover or some such with 200k trouble free, blissful miles, please be aware that I have owned these vehicles and own one currently.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
This quote from Spock is true for many situations:

"you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting"

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. The same came be said about people buying their *dream home* without getting it checked out by a competent home inspector.Not to thread drift too far, but when you find a truly 'competent' home inspector please send me his contact info. I've dealt with several over time and each of them was a special kind of worthless. Write me a two page list of virtually irrelevant crap and totally miss both a huge wiring issue and a pair of joist leveling jacks under the house. Having grown up working construction and since continuing to learn most of the trades, I trust 'me' a lot more than I trust an inspector to uncover issues.

As a homebuilder, I see many of those "inspectors" as some of the biggest rip off artists ever. Most of their "reports" consist of cosmetic issues. Most as in about 95% of their 21 pages of fluff. "Master bedroom needs paint touch up on closet door" or "HVAC system visually inspected, recommend calling an expert to inspect system thoroughly."

And yet people are paying $500-800 for that.

I could do it myself better.

I have worked with an inspector who is very thorough but out of the dozens, he is about the only one I'd want to inspect a home I was looking to purchase. Otherwise I'd just do it myself.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

if you’re looking at buying a pre-owned Mercedes (or the like), it’s usually worth paying the extra to purchase from the dealership. The dealerships have a reputation to uphold and aren’t going to be selling broken jalopys.
Not always true. The dealer in downtown Chicago tried to screw us. I was about to give up in frustration when my quiet, well-mannered, wife amazed me by using her "outside voice" in the showroom to recount the details, while a sales guy was trying to close with other customers on a really expensive new car. She would not budge, told them to call the cops if they wanted to. They finally offered to make things right, just to get her to shut up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Holy thread resurrection, Batman! Almost a year old. Wink

On Monday I flew about $800 miles and a couple states over to buy a car (a “domestic” Ford). Before I would commit to the purchase and travel a
I wanted it inspected by an independent shop. I called around the area the car was in and found one to do it and the Ford dealer was happy to drive it over and leave it for a day,

It would have sucked to pay the rather large inspection fee only to find out the car had issues… but it would have sucked more to not pay it and commit to buying a turd car and flying to it and driving it back.

And FYI: flights from SMF to SEA are super cheap.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried to talk several people out of buying used, out of warranty European cars but it never worked. People just have to learn the hard way and then they say “I thought you were exaggerating when you said repairs cost a fortune!”

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve tried to talk several people out of buying used, out of warranty European cars
Extended warranties are readily available. I receive a few dozen or more offers every week. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
There is no other sound so sweet as two 1150 Carbs opening up into a 10% overdriven blower, on a BBC with a big lumpy cam.
Thought you might enjoy this, though it is missing the carbs.... Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Shady used car sellers (individuals too, not just dealers) are nothing new and people buying a painted pig that will end up costing them well above their means, is nothing new.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post