SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video editing software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video editing software Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Received a video action cam as a present, it's a Maginon 4K, and I've run a few videos on it, and now need to do some editing to cut out portions and to dub over some audio.

Looking for recommendations, of course freeware would be best, running windows 10.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with freeware, and it depends on how involved you want to be. I have done some multi-track editing and I was fond of the Sony Vegas software. It's been a while since I did it, and that may be too much for your needs. Just be ready for the render times, The computer will be chewing on each frame if you get tricky and with 4K that will require some hefty processing.

If you are just looking to cut and link scenes, what I am suggesting is serious overkill. Wink

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Wondershare Filmora. Very easy to use. You can try it for free but the full license cost $60.

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Not free, but also not expensive. I have used Corel VideoStudio Pro for many years to create all kinds of videos from training videos to personal videos with effects. I really like it and have continued to upgrade it as newer versions have come out with new options. I currently have VideoStudio X9 and it looks like VideoStudio 2018 Pro is the latest version for $55. https://www.videostudiopro.com...roducts/videostudio/

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Adobe Premiere but its a subscription cost unless your a student.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
right now I've set the camera to 1080 and just want to cut out some of the recording, Riding the motorcycle and hit a red light, want to cut that scene out shorten the video etc.

For now I'm just looking for a budget way to start and edit some digital movies to see how they turn out before getting into it, not looking to turn it into a commercial operation..

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HRK ,
Kdenlive is Open Source and free and there are Youtube videos on using it with 4K . Did I mention it is free so you can have a play for nix .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When MS had it's Movie Maker it is what I used for editing golf swing vids but I don't think it is available anymore.
I did look at MovAvi.

You might try it out fist to see if it does what you need.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adobe Premier is great, my favorite. But for free, you don’t get much better than Davinci Resolve. They have a paid version, but the free is good enough.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tried Wondershare, it's nice, but the free features are limited, no editing other than applying filters and music. It looks robust, and maybe worth buying.

I'll give the others a shot too, in reality I just want to add a title, cut out boring scenes and maybe add a soundtrack. Cecil B DeMille I'm not..

posted Hide Post
I used Joyoshare Media Cutter to deal with 4K videos. It's good at trimming videos, removing unwanted parts, joining video clips together without quality loss. It is compatible for Windows 10 and the free version only gives you 5 opportunites to cut and edit videos for free. You can upgrade to get the full version at $29.95 if you like it. https://www.joyoshare.com/video-cutter-win/

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Which of these choices is the best to use with XAVC S 4K (100 MB/sec)?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Try DaVinci Resolve. There is a free version.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:

Thank you for your reply. Will DaVinci Resolve convert XAVC S 4K files to other codecs?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:

Thank you for your reply. Will DaVinci Resolve convert XAVC S 4K files to other codecs?

No idea. I haven't done any 4K stuff, Just some old family stuff in mpg & avi.

I checked the Blackmagic Forum and found several users who reported using that codec & others with some issues including video card drivers.

System requirements are at the https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support page/ at the bottom left under "Latest Downloads" & date of 07 Mar 2019. Click on your OS to get a pop-up window with the system requirements.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post